Weather in December

Radbooks

Hi!

We're taking a cruise from Sydney to Melbourne to Tasmania and then to both the south and north islands of New Zealand and wondered what the weather will be like at that time. I assume it will be warm as all of the excursions say to bring water and wear sunscreen, etc.

What sort of temperatures are typical for that time of the year? Is a light jacket enough for cool evenings on the ship or do we need something heavier?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Radbooks

Hi!

We're taking a cruise from Sydney to Melbourne to Tasmania and then to both the south and north islands of New Zealand and wondered what the weather will be like at that time. I assume it will be warm as all of the excursions say to bring water and wear sunscreen, etc.

What sort of temperatures are typical for that time of the year? Is a light jacket enough for cool evenings on the ship or do we need something heavier?

Radbooks

Even though it will be heading towards summer in Oz, you will find that these cruises may still be quite chilly given the proximity to the southern seas. (Real summers in Australia have been in the later Jan/Feb periods)

For Melbourne - the weather could be anything on the day - it's possible to have 4 seasons in one day ... from extreme heat.. to cold... you can never predict it.... it can be 40 degrees Celsius (HOT !!!!) and far less.

For Tasmanian ports - cooler (not extreme heats)..... low 20 degree days.

For NZ - cooler days (no extreme heats) and nights...

Heavier jackets for cruises aren't really required for these seasons... just something light.

Edited by shireboi

We like cruising Nov - Dec and mostly have had reasonable weather and seas.

Although last year we had a day of rough weather in Bass Strait and it snowed on Mt Wellington the day before we arrived in Hobart! But sunny skies the next day but still the need for a warm but not heavy jacket.

NZ will probably be still cool around the south, it was still cool when we were the in January.

Weather is very changeable and changes very quickly down south expect a bit of all seasons.

Is a light jacket enough for cool evenings on the ship or do we need something heavier?

I would suggest some warmer clothing especially if you intend to be on open decks in Fiordland.

Southern NZ is often still chilly that time of year, especially in a Southerly.

Add the ship's speed onto that and it can be cold on deck.

My guess for an average Dec temp in Dunedin would be about 16 C.

I have been to Hobart in December and encountered snow atop Mt Wellington. You get all the seasons in 1 day in Tasweiga. Just came back from Tassie on the weekend, freezing, temp range was 0C to 10C. The shorts stayed in ye olde portmanteau.

Edited by NSWP

I would pack shorts and t-shirts & long pants and thick waterproof jackets.

In Melbourne you could score a hot summer's day, or not!

In the south of NZ there will still be snow on the mountains around the fjords. We cruised through there once in early December and it was wet and freezing on the open decks, but the views made it all worth it!

Hi!

Radbooks

As others have said, mainland Australia will be warm to hot. Tassie and North Island NZ will be cool to warm (if you are lucky), and South Island NZ will be almost anything except hot.

Take some warm clothes for the southern sections. Always have sunscreen and insect repellent.

Take at least one thicker jacket, you shouldn't need more you don't wear it all day, if you plan to be on deck in the mornings for Tasmania and Southern NZ. We went end of January and it was freezing on deck in the mornings but did warm up during the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I definitely agree about layers. Those of us in this part of the world dress this way for much of the year. Because this means bringing 4 seasons of clothes for a couple of weeks, it is easier to stick mostly to the same colours. I am navy and white personally. You can throw in bits of colour with scarves, necklaces, camis, tees etc.

You need sunscreen down here regardless. A cloudy day can still burn.