HELP! What is Princess going to do?

CaribbeanCruisers

Family of 8 meeting in FLL for a cruise aboard the Star Princess this coming Sunday - 11/06. We have 3 inside dolphin cabins. TA called just now and said Princess overbooked by 9 cabins. We were offered a inside balcony, $300SBC per room and $100pp for airline changes. The catch is we would forgo this cruise and instead cruise 11/13. We have a couple of hours to decide. What would you do? MORE IMPORTANTLY, what is Princess going to do being they overbooked? Will they boot ppl off? The TA said they really wanted our rooms because we have 3 of them.

Happy Cruising,

Courtney

They'll keep on "sweetening" the deal until someone agrees to go on the later cruise. If you're flexible with your travel, go for it! BTW, there is no such thing as an inside balcony -- were you offered a balcony for everyone? And is it a $300/cabin onboard credit? If so, that's a good deal.

If you dont take it, someone else will. :) Your booking is not jeopardized if you decline the offer.

Not uncommon for this type of offer, as as PamInMa says, they may just sweeten the offer several times to entice you to accept.

Several years ago, Princess was phoning us as late as the morning of our flight, trying to get us to take a bump on a Honolulu/Ensenada trip on the (old) Pacific Princess. We didn't accept their offers and took the cruise.

Pam - I was just talking with my DH about the room. The TA called it a inside balcony. The $300 is shipboard credit and yes, each room would be upgraded.

OK, DH just spoke to TA. It's for a mini suite with balcony.

It's so hard to make this sort of decision! We're looking so forward to this weekend...

If it's a mini suite with a balcony, that's a heck of an upgrade. You get all sorts of special perks, including free internet, priority tendering, and the new suite amenities. If you're flexible, grab it! :) As for your TA, let 'em know there's no such thing on Princess as an "inside balcony" -- where's the balcony gonna look over? The crew stairway? I don't think so. :) Maybe they mean "covered" balcony?

Pam - I was just talking with my DH about the room. The TA called it a inside balcony. The $300 is shipboard credit and yes, each room would be upgraded.

OK, DH just spoke to TA. It's for a mini suite with balcony.

It's so hard to make this sort of decision! We're looking so forward to this weekend...

\

having to fly to port i wouldn't accept unless u get a price on air first.......u could pay double what your orginal air cost.....

we just turned down a deal on our cruise a couple of weeks ago......didn't give it a second thought..............

Minisuites get some perks, but not priority tendering or free internet - that's only full suites. But as a cabin choice, they are vastly superior to insides, IMHO.

Assuming you won't spend a fortune in changing transportation to the port, I'd take the deal if you have the flexibility, time-wise.

If it's a mini suite with a balcony, that's a heck of an upgrade. You get all sorts of special perks, including free internet, priority tendering, and the new suite amenities. If you're flexible, grab it! :) As for your TA, let 'em know there's no such thing on Princess as an "inside balcony" -- where's the balcony gonna look over? The crew stairway? I don't think so. :) Maybe they mean "covered" balcony?

Pam in MA, there are no extra perks with a mini-suite on Princess. Only the Suites come with extra perks. But they will ge the new amenities that go with a mini-suite and all that extra room. I'd go for it. It's only a week difference. Just think when you would have gotten off the ship, you'll just be coming on instead. What a great deal.

Pam - LOL, the inside balcony had me and the TA chuckling. It's definately a mini. He met to say the room was a little larger then our inside. We were so excited we totally missed it!:p

I checked the airfare and the prices are almost $300 additional and Princess is only offering $100pp for airfare. We would get $300 per room on board credit though.

I have never personally had a balcony cabin. We have a 5 year old DS and it makes me nervous just thinking about him and the balcony. As for the rest of the family - they like the idea! Waiting a week might be difficult for some schedules though.

We have only a short time to decide. DH and I think we may have to pass.

What if no one else takes the offer either? How do they handle the overbooking and why do they overbook in the first place??

My goodness, that really is a good offer. I agree with the above poster who suggested asking Princess if they will cover the full difference is air fare, but honestly, it's a good offer anyway IF you can all change your schedules. I've had every cabin from an inside to a full suite, and I think a mini-suite is a tremendouos advantage -- much larger with a couch/sitting area, larger bathroom, full tub. We love a balcony, really enjoy starting and ending the day out there. Lots of people have balconies with children, I've never heard of a problem . Good luck, whatever you decide!!

We're on the same sailing as CaribbeanCruisers. The internet TA sites have long been showing this cruise as almost full. Recently there has been only Oceanview obstructed left for sale.

I guess we're in for a full ship. Tough choice CaribbeanCruisers, however I would insist that Princess cover the full increase price of your air.

Better hotels would be easier to come by a week later though.

We'll miss out on meeting you if you take the later sailing but we'll make sure we leave the ship in top shape for you. :)

Pam in MA, there are no extra perks with a mini-suite on Princess. Only the Suites come with extra perks. But they will ge the new amenities that go with a mini-suite and all that extra room.
Opps... my error. :( Sorry to mislead you. But the Mini is still a check of a deal over the inside.

I wouldn't turn down the offer of a mini-suite just because you have a 5-year-old. My sister has 5-year-old twins and they've just booked a balcony. Let's face it, the child won't ever be allowed on the balcony alone, and even while in the cabin, they will constantly be supervised. If I were you and the rest of the family wants to take the offer, I would take it as well. Your TA was mistaken...the mini-suites aren't just a "little bigger" than an inside...they are quite a bit bigger. And you will have a full size bathroom with a tub (great with kids) and separate living area and two T.V.'s. I'd take the offer they are placing in front of you and run.

We have had 3 offers to switch to a different week - unfortunately each time I had to turn it down.

With the last offer, the first offer was a total refund of one person in the cabin. We turned it down and then another offer came with an upgrade, the cost of the entire cabin refunded back to us and a $100 change fee. We were unable to switch weeks due to work commitements, etc . .

If someone turns it down, they keep upping their offer until they have enough people...

As Redsgj mentioned we have declined the offer. The change in sail dates would be impossible for 3 of the family members. We do a cruise once a year together. We all come together from different states. My 22 year old SIL passed away unexpectedly on September 29. She was to be cruising with us. Since this cruise imparticular is very important to us as a family, it's equally important that we sail together on the same dates rather than some going this week and the rest the following week.

If everyone could have changed their schedules I think we may have taken the deal!

Perhaps another time...

Enjoy your family each day...

Courtney

Archived