Port/Pier for Vista in NYC?

bar1068

When the Vista comes to the U.S. after the TA, which pier will she most likely dock at in NYC? We've never cruise into or out of NYC, so I'm unclear to witch pier or dock she could use, but would seem the Manhattan pier is most likely where she'll dock? There's another pier in Brooklyn, further south right, thinking she won't dock there?

We're on the TA, looking to finalize a train ride back home form the TA. If Vista docks at the Manhattan pier, we may take a later train home and catch a couple of sites....depending or course on other cruise related "factors".

Thanks.

It looks like Vista is about 40 feet shorter than NCL Breakaway, which docks in Manhattan. It also looks like Vista arrives 11/3 and leaves 11/5; I assume the interval is designed to show off the ship to press and travel agents. For that they would definitely want to be in Manhattan. By the way, if you book Acela Express First Class you can store your bags for the day at Club Acela.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Must be First Class for Club Acela

Thanks folks for the replies/input. From the snoopin around I did, the Manhattan pier seemed the most "logical" choice, her size being a factor.

Regardless where Vista ports, we're grabbin the train back to DC, but being fairly close to Penn Station, gives us a few options we're considering to see a couple of things in NYC.

It looks like Vista is about 40 feet shorter than NCL Breakaway, which docks in Manhattan. It also looks like Vista arrives 11/3 and leaves 11/5; I assume the interval is designed to show off the ship to press and travel agents. For that they would definitely want to be in Manhattan. By the way, if you book Acela Express First Class you can store your bags for the day at Club Acela.

Roy

Thanks for that input. Our understanding is there is a luggage holding area "somewhere" in Penn Station and the cost is pretty reasonable. Acela fares a bit out of our comfort paying zone!!!

Most likely she will dock at pier 90 at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

i am guessing Pier 88 (the next pier that is usually use for the Breakaway) because the gangways at pier 88 was upgraded for bigger ships like the breakaway. Pier 90 still has the older gangways

I've always used Acela Express but I think I've seen the sign for bag storage in the same area of the station to Club Acela's left as you approach it. You could also check with these people:

http://www.jsrentalocker.com/_index.php

I believe in either case you can expect to pay about $10 per piece. Amtrak's counter apparently closes at 9:45.

Roy

agree with others it will be the manhattan cruise terminal.

i don't think carnival cruise line has ever used the brooklyn terminal.

vista is not much larger than the dream class ships that have come to NY, and dream definitely used the manhattan pier, although as i recall dream couldn't 'fit' to the normal gangway (because of overhanging lifeboats and lanai deck) and they had to use deck 0 to embark.

img_0119-%5Bgadling-bumper%5D.jpg

http://gadling.com/2009/11/17/gadling-reviews-the-new-carnival-dream/

i don't remember if they ever rectified that.

also splendor sailed year round from manhattan for a while and she's not much smaller than vista either. but i'd say with 99% certainty it will be in manhattan.

Edited by falkcor

Most likely she will dock at pier 90 at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

There were issues when the Dream came into town. The gangways did not go high enough. As a result, they had to use deck zero to embark an debark. While I have sailed the Vista, I cannot comment on whether her normal gangway height is lower or higher than the Dream or whether New York has eliminated the issue (pier side). I sure did not see anything new when we have sailed out of New York on the Splendor or most recently when we took some guests aboard the Sunshine last month.

agree with others it will be the manhattan cruise terminal.

i don't think carnival cruise line has ever used the brooklyn terminal.

vista is not much larger than the dream class ships that have come to NY, and dream definitely used the manhattan pier, although as i recall dream couldn't 'fit' to the normal gangway (because of overhanging lifeboats and lanai deck) and they had to use deck 0 to embark.

img_0119-%5Bgadling-bumper%5D.jpg

http://gadling.com/2009/11/17/gadling-reviews-the-new-carnival-dream/

i don't remember if they ever rectified that.

also splendor sailed year round from manhattan for a while and she's not much smaller than vista either. but i'd say with 99% certainty it will be in manhattan.

It is Manhattan, sorry I did not see your post before I replied.

When Vista sailed from NYC last year it docked and left from Manhattan pier 90.

Only Cunard's Queen Mary 2 docks in Red Hook since it is too long to fit in Manhattan. It will only dock in Manhattan if it is in transit. But if it starting/ending its voyage, Red Hook.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

Only Cunard's Queen Mary 2 docks in Red Hook since it is too long to fit in Manhattan. It will only dock in Manhattan if it is in transit. But if it starting/ending its voyage, Red Hook.

MARAPRINCE

????? Vista from Manhattan last year?????

Same ship...only one sailing out of NYC made it very difficult to get on it. We had to settle for a different ship and date.

MARAPRINCE

Hmmmmmm....obviously I'm missing something. The Carnival Vista has not yet been in the United States....at any port...as she is currently doing her second to last Mediterranean itinerary before her Transatlantic crossing that will be bringing her to the U.S. for the first time....

MARAPRINCE

Really? Then all those Princess sailings from Red Hook have been imaginary? EM

I've always used Acela Express but I think I've seen the sign for bag storage in the same area of the station to Club Acela's left as you approach it. You could also check with these people:

http://www.jsrentalocker.com/_index.php

I believe in either case you can expect to pay about $10 per piece. Amtrak's counter apparently closes at 9:45.

Roy

Thanks for that link...some good/useful info in there. I'd heard the Amtrak luggage/counter closed well before midnight, but should our day goes as planned after debarking Vista, we should be home by 9:45!!!

MARAPRINCE

vista has never been to the united states.

vista is only a few months old and has never left europe / the mediterranean.

you are thinking of another ship.

vista has never been to the united states, and thereby, never sailed from anywhere in the united states, manhattan cruise terminal included. but that is where she will sail from WHEN she gets here.

One sailing only and it was sold out almost a year ago!

MARAPRINCE

Um, the Carnival Vista is a brand new ship that only started sailing in May 2016. She hasn't even been to the US yet!! Is it possible you mean another Carnival ship or a ship called the Vista that's owned by a different cruise line?