Calorie Counter

PrevailingConditions

My wife and I will be cruising aboard the Caribbean Princess in December. I am a calorie counter and don't want to pay for internet fees. Does anyone know of a calorie counter/diary that will work with an iphone offline?

Since you will not know all of the ingredients or fat or sugar content how would you count calories?

You should be able to "estimate" approximate calories based on what you know know....if you know how many calories in a hamburger...use that figure...same with chicken, caesar salad, etc....surely, after a time, you can remember what common food's calories are....

Of course, there will be some foods you don't usually eat at home, so either skip them or have 1/2 portions, so that you aren't over-eating, calorie-wise!

I use "Lose It" on my phone. When offline, I cannot search but I can still access My Foods, My Meals, and Brands. Brands is a database that loads on when you install the app that includes grocery store foods and a selection of common restaurants' menu items.

If you started using it now, by December you would have stored a common group of foods that you eat often, plus the searchable database from restaurants and grocery stores, available for your log. Even without the search function you should be able to find something in the app that corresponds with what you're eating. The trick is developing a better eye for what counts as a serving size, especially when going through the buffet. :)

I know that My Fitness Pal is popular, too, but I am not familiar with it.

Good question Micah's Grandad. A calorie counter app. has thousands of foods in it's data base. Simple foods like an apple contain generally about 110 calories, a little more or a little less depending on variety and size. More complex foods like soups or casseroles are much more difficult but a good app. can estimate the calorie content within 100 calories. The problem I am having is the large data base required to make this work generally require internet access. Internet access aboard ship is expensive.

I have MyFitnessPal and love it. I've used it for almost six years, first as an electronic food diary and now to track my weight. I love how it links to my iWatch and iPhone and credits me with exercise and walking calories burned.

Offline, it can't look up calorie counts for different foods but if you've kept a diary or entered foods, it'll show you the calories and nutrition.

When I cruise, I often ask for no sauce or gravy on meats and vegetables, a baked potato instead of creamy and rich starches, and steamed vegetables. I sometimes ask for a chef's or plain salad with grilled chicken as an entree. I stop eating when I'm no longer hungry rather than when I'm full. There are many ways you can control calorie intake without compromising your dining enjoyment.

I believe that calorie counting is against Carnival Corporation policy and since Princess is part of the corporate family it is also against Princess policy.
Funny. :) Over fifty cruises on a variety of lines and I've never gained weight on a cruise. Nor have the vast majority of my friends. It's not a given that you'll gain weight. One trick I use is to finish only what is really good.

Good question Micah's Grandad. A calorie counter app. has thousands of foods in it's data base. Simple foods like an apple contain generally about 110 calories, a little more or a little less depending on variety and size. More complex foods like soups or casseroles are much more difficult but a good app. can estimate the calorie content within 100 calories. The problem I am having is the large data base required to make this work generally require internet access. Internet access aboard ship is expensive.

Thanks for your comment. Some thoughts.

We have no idea of the fat content in a burger.

For a soup would think that a cream type soup would be impossible to guesstimate as we dont know the proportion of cream to the base.

These days never finish a dessert unless it is spectacularly good and do my best to limit weight gain to 5# or less for a two week cruise by walking a lot.

Thanks for your comment. Some thoughts.

We have no idea of the fat content in a burger.

For a soup would think that a cream type soup would be impossible to guesstimate as we dont know the proportion of cream to the base.

These days never finish a dessert unless it is spectacularly good and do my best to limit weight gain to 5# or less for a two week cruise by walking a lot.

That's the secret' date=' walk, walk, and walk some more. Take the stairs, stay off the elevator! First place I head in the buffet is the salad bar. I make a big green salad, no pasta or potato salad, and balsamic vinegar. I get a meat and veggie from the hot plate dishes. I count carbs not calories. I don't gain any weight. I basically stick to the Atkins diet, so far so good.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

That's the secret, walk, walk, and walk some more. Take the stairs, stay off the elevator! First place I head in the buffet is the salad bar. I make a big green salad, no pasta or potato salad, and balsamic vinegar. I get a meat and veggie from the hot plate dishes. I count carbs not calories. I don't gain any weight. I basically stick to the Atkins diet, so far so good.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Very true about how not to gain weight on a cruise but at home I behave myself so on cruises I can pretty much have what I want and not to difficult to work off the weight gain when we come home.

I agree with neverbeenhere but I don't count calories. If I fit in the door, I eat. If I can't reach the steering wheel I buy a bigger truck until I can no longer do that and then I'll starve to death I guess. I do under stand it is required for some. I refer people to Pam for advice.

That's the secret, walk, walk, and walk some more. Take the stairs, stay off the elevator! First place I head in the buffet is the salad bar.

I try to minimize weight gain by taking the stairs every so often. I do gain weight after the cruise but try to lose it at home.

You really can't burn off enough calories in the gym, stairs, etc. to put a dent in the amount of calories you CAN take in on a cruise: buffets, desserts, alcohol, etc. We have stayed on the Emerald deck (8), and used the stairs exclusively and the gym, and still come home a bit "fluffy" - unless we also are mindful about our eating. Lots of good advice here, and a lot depends on whether you want to cut loose and not worry about it, or you really want to minimize any weight gain. I've learned, as others have mentioned, to only finish something if I'm really enjoying it, to try and calibrate, and save my loosest clothes for the end of the cruise.....lol.....[emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I found an app. called CalorieKing that has a data base the works offline but no dairy function. Unfortunately unless I'm prepared to walk from Hawaii to San Francisco I won't be able to walk away the calories I will no doubt consume. Moderation in all things. Personally I believe all excess calories should be forgiven at the end of each cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I generally don't gain weight on cruises (but I've never gone for more than a week!). There is always such a great choice of fruits, veggies, and nicely prepared "healthy" dishes, I eat a lot of those, but if I see something I really want, I get it, but don't feel obliged to finish it if its not delicious! Basically, a matter of eating mindfully. I do walk a lot too, and go to the gym a few times.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I found an app. called CalorieKing that has a data base the works offline but no dairy function. Unfortunately unless I'm prepared to walk from Hawaii to San Francisco I won't be able to walk away the calories I will no doubt consume. Moderation in all things. Personally I believe all excess calories should be forgiven at the end of each cruise.

As someone who lost 60 pounds a couple years ago by counting calories and exercise (exercise so I can eat more), I understand your desire to keep track while you're on vacation. We just recently celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada and I learned that I still can't trust myself around an overabundance of food. So I guess on my first cruise (April 2018), I'll do my best to stay on track, but work it off again when I'm home. Maybe I'll check out CalorieKing and manually add the calories into MyFitnessPal for the diary.

Hey, everything is calorie free on your birthday. Did you eat everything on your last birthday or did you save some of the free calories? :D

Congratulations Krozulo on your weight loss. No small feat. An alcoholic can live a long and healthy life without ever taking another drink but skip a meal or two. My wife suggested that we should begin celebrating both the Canadian and American Thanksgiving. Where will you cruising to in April 2018? I will post an update on how I do on our December 2016 Western Caribbean cruise. I understand that Ripley's has a record of a man who actually lost weight while on a cruise but that involved the ship sinking and him living on coconuts and raw fish.

My wife and I will be cruising aboard the Caribbean Princess in December. I am a calorie counter and don't want to pay for internet fees. Does anyone know of a calorie counter/diary that will work with an iphone offline?

You are going on a cruise and are going to count calories?? Good luck.

Counting calories on a cruise Fugheddaboudit!! :eek:

Tony

I actually lost weight on my first cruise, which was a 30 day one, due to all the swimming and activities I took part in! That was a real surprise to me! I am now busy trying to lose weight before my upcoming cruise as I know I will be eating and drinking as much as I can. I am keeping my elasticated trousers for the latter part of the cruise!