Power Loss in St. John -- Carnival Sunshine Sailing of 9/24

Maraprince

Does anyone who remained on board the ship in St. John know what caused the power outage?

We were returning to the ship around 2 PM and encountered a delay in reboarding since the photo ID system was not operational. Everyone had to be manually checked in. Security/metal scanner was working.

Emergency lights were still on in the publica areas and many crew still were holding onto flash lights.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

:confused:

Not to rag on you, but.... you didn't ask anyone when you boarded? you didn't reach out to your roll call afterward? Was the electrical system fully function once you left the dock?

Could have been a drill. Could have been loss of shore power. Could have been disconnect between shore and ship. Could have been a malfunction all the way around.

Hopefully one of your fellow cruisers on board will answer your inquiry or you can look for a review of your cruise by others and see if its mentioned.

Not to rag on you, but.... you didn't ask anyone when you boarded? you didn't reach out to your roll call afterward? Was the electrical system fully function once you left the dock?

Could have been a drill. Could have been loss of shore power. Could have been disconnect between shore and ship. Could have been a malfunction all the way around.

Hopefully one of your fellow cruisers on board will answer your inquiry or you can look for a review of your cruise by others and see if its mentioned.

Our Roll Call has sort of vanished!!! No one has posted since before the cruise started.

Most of the passengers were off the ship either on tours or on their own. No one at our dinner table was on board when it happened. One of our dinner companions asked a crew member who woke up to a dark cabin and just opened his cabin door to see the hallway dark as well. Our CD never mentioned anything about it either.

Reboarding the ship was delayed and passengers leaving the ship just said in passing, "Good luck! There is no power on board."

Once on board we were told to move along quickly so those behind us could be processed. By that time, power was restored.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

My guess is that this was the mandatory annual blackout recovery drill. These are scheduled for hours when the passenger count onboard is at a minimum, and normally there are announcements regarding it. Sometimes when restoring power after a blackout, some circuits have tripped and they are not known about until some crew calls the engine room to report a power outage, and someone is sent to reset power.

Not to rag on you, but.... you didn't ask anyone when you boarded? you didn't reach out to your roll call afterward? Was the electrical system fully function once you left the dock? .....

I guess the OP asked here because chengkp75 was not on the ship or the roll call.:D

Does anyone who remained on board the ship in St. John know what caused the power outage?

We were returning to the ship around 2 PM and encountered a delay in reboarding since the photo ID system was not operational. Everyone had to be manually checked in. Security/metal scanner was working.

Emergency lights were still on in the publica areas and many crew still were holding onto flash lights.

MARAPRINCE

One technicality here. There are 2 Canadian Cities with similar names. Saint John (singular and Saint is always spelled out) is in New Brunswick while St. Johns abbreviated and with an s is in Newfoundland. To add to the confusion I think coevan assumed you were in the Virgin Islands. Am I correct you were in New Brunswick?

I would have thought that if there was a sustained power failure in town the ship would have started it's generators and any power outage should have been brief.

Roy

however the ships are self powered, so why the blackout?

Yes, the ships are self powered. But at some ports they are required to hook up to shore side power for environmental concerns while docked. Most California ports require ships to hook up to shore side power.

Edited by Island Hopping

My guess is that this was the mandatory annual blackout recovery drill. These are scheduled for hours when the passenger count onboard is at a minimum, and normally there are announcements regarding it. Sometimes when restoring power after a blackout, some circuits have tripped and they are not known about until some crew calls the engine room to report a power outage, and someone is sent to reset power.

I was on the Sunshine at that time and never noticed a power outage. We came back on board at 12:00 and there was a staff drill taking place around 2:00 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One technicality here. There are 2 Canadian Cities with similar names. Saint John (singular and Saint is always spelled out) is in New Brunswick while St. Johns abbreviated and with an s is in Newfoundland. To add to the confusion I think coevan assumed you were in the Virgin Islands. Am I correct you were in New Brunswick?

I would have thought that if there was a sustained power failure in town the ship would have started it's generators and any power outage should have been brief.

Roy

New Brunswick.

Did not notice any power outages in the town.

Could have well been a drill since no one made a big deal of it except for the passengers getting off the ship to go to town or on a tour. Some seemed to be angry.

ID photo scanner was not operational and everyone had to be signed in manually. So something definitely affected at least part of the power on the ship. Glad we weren't on the ship when it happened.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince