first cruise questions

fire5555

If your Muster station is in the theater or a restaurant or someplace you can sit down get there early. Late people are stuck standing. some ships still have people stand outside I am unsure if Liberty does. I have not sailed her.

Plan on just hanging out after muster for 15 minutes or so to allow for the chaos to dissipate. Its the craziest part of any cruise. Everyone trying to get on a elevator or run up the stairs.

If you want to communicate on ship you need to put your phone in airplane mode and turn wifi on. To avoid international roaming charges. Then you both need the Royal app. There is a small charge 4.95 or 7.95 can not remember to allow each of you to text and I think call thru the ships wifi.

"""""If you want to communicate on ship you need to put your phone in airplane mode and turn wifi on."""""

Did you have to purchase a wi fi package to do this???

So more questions

At night

In the middle of the I

Are the stars fantastic??

?

NO, you may be dissapointed by this, or maybe my standards are too high for what fantastic stars are. I am am Amateur astronomer.

nsp1.jpg

The ships are so list up they diminish the night sky almost as bad as being in a major city. Older eyes take at least 30 minutes to dark adapt and there are few good spots on the ship where you can avoid light long enough to get your eyes to adapt and the moist ocean air refracts light around the ship to the point you feel you are inside a light bulb. It may be nice, but you won't see the milky way.

If your Muster station is in the theater or a restaurant or someplace you can sit down get there early. Late people are stuck standing. some ships still have people stand outside I am unsure if Liberty does. I have not sailed her.

Plan on just hanging out after muster for 15 minutes or so to allow for the chaos to dissipate. Its the craziest part of any cruise. Everyone trying to get on a elevator or run up the stairs.

If you want to communicate on ship you need to put your phone in airplane mode and turn wifi on. To avoid international roaming charges. Then you both need the Royal app. There is a small charge 4.95 or 7.95 can not remember to allow each of you to text and I think call thru the ships wifi.

Royal IQ app is not available on Liberty. It is only available on Quantum class ships and Harmony at this time.

The advice you are getting is a great start, so I will not repeat the suggestions. A few additional items I always take are first off...my favorite coffee mug. I love good coffee and like to have it with me on the ship. Also, Im a sailor and always bring my binoculars for viewing off the balcony. I also bring a small battery alarm clock, to keep me on time for morning port calls.

I use a clear file folder with a zipper type closure that I keep all documents and passports. I keep this in my backpack, then it go's into the safe after I board. I have a very thin leather holder for my sea pass. Also, I have a travel wallet that attaches to my belt and is worn inside your shorts. Many ports are famous for pickpockets in the Islands and Europe. Im not trying to spook you, just be careful off the ship. Also, depending on what ports you are in, its a good idea to carry your passport, and not leave it on the ship. I know this is a subject of debate on cruise critic, but I have traveled all my life, and a photo copy of a passport will not help you if you miss the ship or have to be hospitalized while on a shore excursion.

Otherwise just keep a good check list on your iPhone, and add to it when an idea hits you. And as the saying go's...."Bring half the clothes and twice the money "

:-) :-)

Edited by runningtide

NO, you may be dissapointed by this, or maybe my standards are too high for what fantastic stars are. I am am Amateur astronomer.

nsp1.jpg

The ships are so list up they diminish the night sky almost as bad as being in a major city. Older eyes take at least 30 minutes to dark adapt and there are few good spots on the ship where you can avoid light long enough to get your eyes to adapt and the moist ocean air refracts light around the ship to the point you feel you are inside a light bulb. It may be nice, but you won't see the milky way.

They do not turn the lights out at night??

How am I going to sleep

The advice you are getting is a great start, so I will not repeat the suggestions. A few additional items I always take are first off...my favorite coffee mug. I love good coffee and like to have it with me on the ship. Also, Im a sailor and always bring my binoculars for viewing off the balcony. I also bring a small battery alarm clock, to keep me on time for morning port calls.

I use a clear file folder with a zipper type closure that I keep all documents and passports. I keep this in my backpack, then it go's into the safe after I board. I have a very thin leather holder for my sea pass. Also, I have a travel wallet that attaches to my belt and is worn inside your shorts. Many ports are famous for pickpockets in the Islands and Europe. Im not trying to spook you, just be careful off the ship. Also, depending on what ports you are in, its a good idea to carry your passport, and not leave it on the ship. I know this is a subject of debate on cruise critic, but I have traveled all my life, and a photo copy of a passport will not help you if you miss the ship or have to be hospitalized while on a shore excursion.

Otherwise just keep a good check list on your iPhone, and add to it when an idea hits you. And as the saying go's...."Bring half the clothes and twice the money "

:-) :-)

Thanks I travel very light

Have learned

But main dining room any dress code??

So called formal dinner, seems like dress code not enforced??

Most seem to advocate getting on as early as you can, and that is OK for the first time. But remember that you are on vacation, and the ship is an ideal place to relax, unplug, and decompress.... Starting our vacation by rushing onto the ship like its an indy-car race, and dragging carry-on bags around for a few hours diminishes the experience for us. The newness has worn off for us, so we now prefer to let the initial wave of racers clear and check in about noon. We can usually drop off our luggage after a minimal wait. People rush to eat at the Windjammer (buffet) as soon as they board as though the food is going to run out for the week. Trust me, you won't starve. We now go for a lighter first lunch on the promenade and avoid the day 1 buffet mosh pit. plenty of opportunities over the course of the week to pile up a few plates in the Windjammer.

On a separate topic, we bring a lighted battery operated alarm clock, as there are no clocks in the room. I like to be able to see what time it is if I wake up at night. This is especially true if you are in an inside room. I know some use their phones for this anymore, but I am old school.

Except the helo deck up front - it will be fairly dark out there to see the stars.

Trampoline on Enchantment is dark and comfy for the brave at heart. ;)

I believe it was labeled the Observatory before the trampoline was added. Still labeled as such on Grandeur.

I always pack a handful of magnetic clips. You'll get a bunch of paper every day. The magnets keep the papers you want to keep neatly on the wall (they're metal). Also a battery operated tea light for the bathroom. I also line our suitcases with trash bags (just in case it rains & to put dirty clothes in on way home. Enjoy Liberty, she's a pretty ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Except the helo deck up front - it will be fairly dark out there to see the stars.

I disagree, even if you can avoid looking back at the ship for 30 minutes there is a glow that surrounds the ship quite a bit. I've tried it many times. The view is never much better than I can get 20 miles from my urban home. (Not Urban's home) Except in the caribbean I saw see further south than I can at 38 degrees north.

Chops grille

I saw a video on chops

So do you pay for each item ordered ??

Or one price covers all??

Both.

The initial charge covers starters and one of several included entrees. Several "premium" entrees have an additional charge.

I disagree, even if you can avoid looking back at the ship for 30 minutes there is a glow that surrounds the ship quite a bit. I've tried it many times. The view is never much better than I can get 20 miles from my urban home. (Not Urban's home) Except in the caribbean I saw see further south than I can at 38 degrees north.

To the casual observer it's pretty freakin dark. Not all of us are Carl Sagan or Edwin Hubble protege's. To me it's not just the darkness, but the clarity of the sky. Seems to be less clouds or haze in the air.

The view is never much better than I can get 20 miles from my urban home.

I think the discussion was limited to locations on the ship (like the poster will be); relatively speaking, the helo deck is one of the better spots.