Dawn - Oct 14, 2016 - Bermuda

stevenp190

Based on the thread about the current Breakaway Bermuda cruise (that was diverted to Florida and Nassau), calling NCL or a travel agent will give you nothing but "cruise is scheduled as planned".

Without trying to add any fuel to any fire, I will just say - they saw before Sunday that Nicole was going to hit or at least impact the island while the Breakaway was scheduled to be docked. According to that other thread, people called NCL to see if there was an itinerary change and were told 'no, everything as planned' even though all reports showed it hitting right when they were supposed to be there. They were not told until around the muster drill that the itinerary changed.

Considering the storm is just about there now, and is expected to go north east of the island, I suspect we will be fine and in the clear. Granted the path to Bermuda will probably not be as direct as planned but I don't suspect we will be diverted considering come Saturday the storm is supposed to be well beyond Bermuda and well east of any path we might take to get to Bermuda.

With all that said, We are making sure to have some warm clothes just in case we end up in Canada/further north in New England.

Cat 4 hitting as we speak... Bermuda will be a mess... not a chance cruises will be docking there next week

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is what I think is worrying the rest of us. Overall while the storm may be past, the question will be what kind of damage could there possibly be. Power outages, etc.

It all depends how they get through the next 24 hours. If the power is back on, and there's no damage to the dock, no humanitarian crisis across the island, etc., there is actually a good chance cruise ships will start coming back immediately, even if some beaches and other facilities are not in great shape.

If you thought the complaints this week were over the top, wait until NCL tries to reroute to Nassau with perfectly calm weather all over the Atlantic…

It all depends how they get through the next 24 hours. If the power is back on, and there's no damage to the dock, no humanitarian crisis across the island, etc., there is actually a good chance cruise ships will start coming back immediately, even if some beaches and other facilities are not in great shape.

If you thought the complaints this week were over the top, wait until NCL tries to reroute to Nassau with perfectly calm weather all over the Atlantic…

This is what people don't get. NCL is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They are waiting to see damage before deciding. You know if they announce a reroute and the port opens by Sunday people will flip out. But no, it's some big conspiracy. Meanwhile 4,000 people are living in flood shelters in NC with their homes destroyed. Please everyone just try and make the best of it.

In your shoes, I'd pack some cool weather clothing just in case you end up in New England and Canada. I'd also make a conscious decision to enjoy my vacation, no matter where the ship goes. If the itinerary does change, I'll still have a good time, and my attitude will help others have a good time too. :)

Edited by Pikaia

Ships were back to Nassau in like 2 days so as long as there isn't any major outages/infrastructure damage I don't see why we don't go there, they are pretty used to storms.

yes but

Hurricanes of this intensity passing near Bermuda are exceedingly rare. Only 12 Category 3 hurricanes have tracked within 75 miles of Bermuda since 1899.

Only four October hurricanes have tracked within 50 miles of Bermuda dating back to 1950, according to Dr. Phil Klotzbach, tropical scientist at Colorado State University.

Ships were back to Nassau in like 2 days so as long as there isn't any major outages/infrastructure damage I don't see why we don't go there, they are pretty used to storms.

Excellent point and this is a much better island infrastructure wise than The Bahamas or any other Caribbean island (except maybe Cayman). Their homes are built with cement walls and limestone roofs....

Two years ago we cruised to Bermuda in October. I think Hurricane Gonzalo hit the day before we were cruising. We knew were weren't going to Bermuda, but even the morning of the cruise NCL kept telling us that no change had been made to the itinerary, so we packed a couple of sweaters in case we wound up going to Canada. On our ride into the Black Falcon terminal I read a post on Cruise Critic that we were going to the Bahamas. We were probably the happiest people in Boston. We had just cruised Boston to Bermuda 5 months before and we were excited for the change. We had a great time!! So be ready for anything!! Bring a sweater, just in case, but hopefully you will still go somewhere warm!!

Thanks for all the info. NCL is saying Bermuda is still scheduled. We will be happy where ever we end up going. We haven't been on The Dawn so that will be fun checking out a different NCL ship. We have been on The Gem, Pearl, Breakaway and Spirit.

We knew when we booked this last year there was a chance of a hurricane.

Thanks for all the info. NCL is saying Bermuda is still scheduled. We will be happy where ever we end up going. We haven't been on The Dawn so that will be fun checking out a different NCL ship. We have been on The Gem, Pearl, Breakaway and Spirit.

We knew when we booked this last year there was a chance of a hurricane.

You have a great attitude!! We are cruising on the Dawn for the 7th time next Friday, have a great trip wherever you may wind up.

From NCL site:

October 13 at 3 p.m. ET (7 p.m. UTC)

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and comfort of our guests is our number one priority. While it is our intention to maintain our ships’ original itineraries whenever possible, the safety of our guests and crew takes precedence.

We are closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Nicole. Currently, we are planning for a regularly scheduled itinerary for Norwegian Dawn’s cruise departing October 14 but will remain in close contact with officials in Bermuda once the storm has passed, to assess the impact of the storm on the port.

We will also be adjusting Norwegian Sky’s itineraries on October 14 and October 17, due to damage on Grand Bahama from Hurricane Matthew:

For the three-day cruise departing October 14, Norwegian Sky will not call in Grand Bahama on October 16 as scheduled. Instead, the ship will call in Nassau on October 15 for an overnight stay.

For the four-day cruise departing October 17, Norwegian Sky will not call in Grand Bahama on October 18 as scheduled, and will instead call in Key West.

We continue to monitor the storm’s movement and impact and any further updates will be posted on ncl.com. We thank our guests for their patience and understanding as we make every effort to ensure they have a wonderful cruise vacation.

Found this video of Hurricane Nicole as she was hitting Bermuda. Actually I thought everything looked liked it was holding together well, except for the flash at the end of the road washed out.

Jeepers!!

The person who put it all together has it as the Bahamas....

Edited by pathubia