how many kids to expect on New Year's Eve cruise

FLUFFLULA

We're going on the Vista for the New Year's Eve cruise through the first week in January. We are wondering if most schools start back on January 3 so some families with school age kids might not choose this cruise? We know that most public schools in Alabama start back on January 3rd, but is it the same for schools in other parts of the country?

Really depends on the school districts. Some may return January 3 or 4...I just checked the calendar for the Los angeles Unified, the second largest district in the country, and school resumes on January 9 for many schools...even though some schools may have a different start date. And you might have some districts that are less strict and some more about kids missing a day or two of school before or after the break. Most likely the last week or two of December will have many familles and fewer the first week of January. there could also be some homeschoolers on board, too.

We did a New Years cruise last year on the Grand out of San Francisco, 10 day, boarded on 30th, doing the same this year. Don't recall any kids, may have been some little ones not in school.

My grandson and his family are going 10 days earlier... over Christmas would guess more families and kids on at Christmas.

Our cruise departs on New Year's Eve so it's the first week in January that we're hoping will have fewer kids cruising than earlier in December.

Thanks for all the information and especially for checking the California school information!! I appreciate it!

We have done 2 on Princess and the first left New Years day. Lots of kids and teens on that one.

The next was an 8 day that left a few days before NYE and came back the 5th or so. LOTS of kids and teens on that one. But we had no problems with them at all.

We sailed NYE many times and there were always family groups with kids of all ages. Some kids are home schooled these dyays but even those enrolled in school travel.

Edited by sail7seas

There will be many children, though probably less than a week earlier. Many people think nothing of pulling their children out of school for a week, especially lower grades. They use the excuse that the cruise is an educational experience to learn about other cultures[emoji15] . Many of the youngsters are well behaved and they can miss a week of school and easily catch up. A few will be spoiled brats. You also forget about the many preschoolers. The reason probably has to do with parents vacation time.

From experience on 3 holiday cruises I can tell you that many of these children were still up roaming the halls after we went to bed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Christmas and New Years cruises are going to be overrun with families with children. About the only limitation is that imposed by the cruise line/ship because of capacity limitations on the ship. Many ships are not allowed to fill all their 3rd & 4th berths because of basic safety issues (i.e. lifeboat capacity, seating capacity, etc). So if you plan on taking a mass market cruise line holiday cruise that is no longer then 10 days in length, you should expect many children/teens.

Hank