Are drink packages worth it?

Sun Lover

Going on Harmony in December and ordered the "Premium" package way back.. Now they do not have it anymore, does that mean I'll have the "Deluxe" package now?

I always just get the soda package, but my last cruise we tried the drink package and really enjoyed having it.

Bruce

Yes, you will automatically be upgraded to the Deluxe at no additional charge:D

I am still debating on whether to keep our package or to cancel:confused:. We just made Diamond status:), so that is free drinks from 5-8:30 & we will be bringing 2 bottles of wine on board. Another thing is, 3 of the days we probably won't get our moneys worth, (the first day and 2 port days that we'll be off the ship until 6:30pm). Has anyone else had the same debate, what was your decision, and did you regret that decision on your cruise?

Booked my trip today and also bought the beverage package. It was still 20% off. So we paid $46.00. Seeing as it came with water, coffee, juice, wine, cocktails, beer, soda etc... it seemed worth it. Anyway its bought and paid for and wont show up om my sail and sign account.

Edited by sowindct

Booked my trip today and also bought the beverage package. It was still 20% off. So we paid $46.00. Seeing as it came with water, coffee, juice, wine, cocktails, beer, soda etc... it seemed worth it. Anyway its bought and paid for and wont show up om my sail and sign account.

The 20% off is a sham. Last week our sailing had 30% off. It was $42. Today no more sale - it's $46. The math doesn't work. Royal has gone to a dynamic pricing model - the price changes based on the ship, time of sailing, how many have pre-paid, etc. The "sales" are just to entice you to purchase it before the "sale" runs out.

That being said, I booked the drink packages for our Anthem sailing in May 2017, because I can't imagine prices staying the same or dropping 8 months from now. If they drop, I'll cancel & re-book.

The 20% off is a sham. Last week our sailing had 30% off. It was $42. Today no more sale - it's $46. The math doesn't work. Royal has gone to a dynamic pricing model - the price changes based on the ship, time of sailing, how many have pre-paid, etc. The "sales" are just to entice you to purchase it before the "sale" runs out.

That being said, I booked the drink packages for our Anthem sailing in May 2017, because I can't imagine prices staying the same or dropping 8 months from now. If they drop, I'll cancel & re-book.

I think the cost is $50+ onboard. So the "sale" might be in reference to that.

Some people place a value on the convenience of not having to think or calculate. I don't think that has a $100 value either, but I can see how some people can place a value on creating a more all-inclusive feel to their vacation. I might place a $5 value or maybe even $25, but I can't drink enough to even get close to making the packages worth it for me. I wish I could because I like the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It appears to me that some people don't take the time the analyze whether or not a beverage package would be more cost effective.

This is like taking the standard deduction on your tax return because it is easier than taking the time to itemize.

I am still debating on whether to keep our package or to cancel:confused:. We just made Diamond status:), so that is free drinks from 5-8:30 & we will be bringing 2 bottles of wine on board. Another thing is, 3 of the days we probably won't get our moneys worth, (the first day and 2 port days that we'll be off the ship until 6:30pm). Has anyone else had the same debate, what was your decision, and did you regret that decision on your cruise?

My wife and I are diamonds and bought the deluxe package during the 30% off sale. The 3 free drinks are a nice perk but IMHO it has limited value for us since it is restricted to 5-8:30 PM. During that time we are either getting ready for or eating dinner. Most of our alcohol consumption will be during the day by the pool and in the lounges after dinner.

Your question about the port days is an important one. For our itinerary there is only one day where we will be off the ship for a significant amount of time, excluding Coco Cay. If we were on a port intensive cruise we most likely would not have bought it.

Thanks to the increase in drink prices our break even point is at 4-5 drinks a day. Considering it includes coffee, juice, soda, etc, and our itinerary it was an easy decision. The only way to decide if it is worth it for your situation is to honestly estimate how much you will use the package during the cruise and do the math.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Basic maths calculation will give you that answer.....

I was looking at purchasing the deluxe drink package at 20% off, which is $46/person. Can someone who has been on Allure recently give me an idea of what a typical alcoholic drink costs? For example, a frozen type drink, a beer, etc? I'm just trying to figure out if we would drink enough each day to make it worthwhile, especially considering we'll be in ports 3 days and won't be on the ship for several hours those days. Thanks.

My wife and I are diamonds and bought the deluxe package during the 30% off sale. The 3 free drinks are a nice perk but IMHO it has limited value for us since it is restricted to 5-8:30 PM. During that time we are either getting ready for or eating dinner. Most of our alcohol consumption will be during the day by the pool and in the lounges after dinner.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Agree with this. We have been diamond for a while and have found the lounge hours don't work for us. Think about when you would get your drinks to see if you will really use that perk.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I believe it's three days prior to sailing, but don't quote me on that.

As for the "sale" discussion. I can say, without reservation, the 20% off sale was truely a 20% off sale, at least for our Allure sailing in 10 days.

I booked in February and tracked the drink package cost until the 20% off sale was advertised. It was a true 20% off at $44 per day.

I never consider the 18% in the cost as I am paying that no matter what.

Different prices for different ships? My 20% discount on the drink package for the anthem was $46.00 per day + $8.28 (18% gratuity) or $54.28 total per day x 12 = $651.36.

Exactly how much is the full price of the package?

About $55/day, or $65 with gratuity. So for your 12 day cruise $781.63 [emoji15]

Just used the new deluxe package on a 4 night. I spent most of my package allotment per day on water and coffee/teas. I had about 2 cocktails during the day and a glass of wine with dinner. I went through at least 6 bottles of water a day, morning OJ, etc. For me it was worth it and not just because I like to drink alcohol.

I bought my 12 night DP for 566.40 during a promotion last weekend. I'm sure that by the 7th day I'll be drinking "for free". Can't wait for the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just used the new deluxe package on a 4 night. I spent most of my package allotment per day on water and coffee/teas. I had about 2 cocktails during the day and a glass of wine with dinner. I went through at least 6 bottles of water a day, morning OJ, etc. For me it was worth it and not just because I like to drink alcohol.

That would be hard for me to justify. Water, coffee and tea can be found for free on board so if that's the majority of what someone drinks, I personally would feel the package is a waste. Especially the Deluxe. You could get those same drinks in the refreshment package for half the price. I know the paid coffee and tea are different than the free stuff, but I am a water drinker at home and could technically do without those things on a trip and not miss them, especially if they're costing me a couple hundred bucks. But I still understand why people like the packages and can find value in them for the sake of convenience and such.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I bought my 12 night DP for 566.40 during a promotion last weekend. I'm sure that by the 7th day I'll be drinking "for free". Can't wait for the cruise!

Now why would my 12 night discounted drink package that I purchased on October 1, be more then yours? I'm paying $651.36.

Now why would my 12 night discounted drink package that I purchased on October 1, be more then yours? I'm paying $651.36.

I bought it with the 30% off promo. It was 40 per day + 18% grats.