New to Celebrity; conflicting answers from call centre

BabyJane8

Hello,

We're new to sailing with Celebrity; we have sailed with Disney a few times with our children but are taking a quick break, just the 2 of us. We booked the Infinity 3-night cruise to the Bahamas (Nov 6) and are trying to find out some information about drinks, Coco Cay, etc. However, when we spoke with a couple of people from the call centre we had conflicting answers so I thought I'd try this forum.

First of all, we're interested in getting a beverage package, but only for the pop (soda); my hubby doesn't drink a lot and I might just have the drink of the day so the alcohol package is probably not worth it. But we were wondering if the package is honoured on Coco Cay -- but when we asked this question we were told that no, it was not honoured and, to boot, the food is NOT included on Coco Cay. I thought that since it was a private island the food would have just been brought from the ship and therefore complimentary. Apparently it is for the RCL people but not for Celebrity. Any one sailed recently and found this to be true? Is is just because we're on such a short cruise?

Secondly, for debarkation day, we were told we need to be off the ship by 7 am and no breakfast is provided. Given we are used to having a sit-down breakfast on the day of debarkation we were quite surprised about this, both the time and the lack of food. Is this what people have experienced?

Finally, in an info book on Celebrity cruises it indicates that even the standard staterooms get a complimentary tote; we're just going in an inside room for this time and we've been told yes and no from the call centre. Does anyone know if a tote is provided? Just want to know if I should pack one...

Thank you so much in advance for answering these questions. Any other advice would be more than welcomed as well!

Hello,

We're new to sailing with Celebrity; we have sailed with Disney a few times with our children but are taking a quick break, just the 2 of us. We booked the Infinity 3-night cruise to the Bahamas (Nov 6) and are trying to find out some information about drinks, Coco Cay, etc. However, when we spoke with a couple of people from the call centre we had conflicting answers so I thought I'd try this forum.

First of all, we're interested in getting a beverage package, but only for the pop (soda); my hubby doesn't drink a lot and I might just have the drink of the day so the alcohol package is probably not worth it. But we were wondering if the package is honoured on Coco Cay -- but when we asked this question we were told that no, it was not honoured and, to boot, the food is NOT included on Coco Cay. I thought that since it was a private island the food would have just been brought from the ship and therefore complimentary. Apparently it is for the RCL people but not for Celebrity. Any one sailed recently and found this to be true? Is is just because we're on such a short cruise?

Secondly, for debarkation day, we were told we need to be off the ship by 7 am and no breakfast is provided. Given we are used to having a sit-down breakfast on the day of debarkation we were quite surprised about this, both the time and the lack of food. Is this what people have experienced?

Finally, in an info book on Celebrity cruises it indicates that even the standard staterooms get a complimentary tote; we're just going in an inside room for this time and we've been told yes and no from the call centre. Does anyone know if a tote is provided? Just want to know if I should pack one...

Thank you so much in advance for answering these questions. Any other advice would be more than welcomed as well!

Drink package is honored on the private islands and generally you don't have to be off the ship until 9,30 or so. They just ask you to vacate the room earlier. Full breakfasts are provided.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Don! I assume the food is also included on Coco Cay?

That makes much more sense to us -- we were very surprised about the answers we were getting from the call centre. Perhaps they might want to update their employees now! :)

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Don! I assume the food is also included on Coco Cay?

That makes much more sense to us -- we were very surprised about the answers we were getting from the call centre. Perhaps they might want to update their employees now! :)

Food is including on the island. Not surprising from the call center, thev've been like that for years. Exact opposite of the way they treat you on the ships,

Just to point out some differences between Disney Soda and the Soda package on Celebrity.

On DCL, fountain soda is included in the MDR and from the self serve fountains on the pool deck only. Anywhere else you get a soda from, you are charged.

On Celebrity with the package, you can go to any bar or the MDR or roving server and canned soda is provided (you can even have a sealed can that you could take with you back to your cabin or wherever you're wandering on the ship).

Celebrity also has two other non-alcoholic packages that include more than just soda (such as bottled water, specialty coffees, other bottled non-alcoholic beverages such as power water, Arizona iced tea, red bull, and other non-alcoholic fresh made beverages like pina coladas, mudslides, etc.)

Ok, thanks everyone. On the DCL I have only ever had free soda, but then again, I've really only had them in the dining rooms, free serve machines and of course on Castaway Cay. Never went to the bars or asked the roaming servers for a soda -- that was for other drinks! :D

I think I will pack a collapsible tote bag just in case to hold our stuff when going to Coco Cay. Looking forward to trying out a new ship line and new island!

They WANT you to purchase the items in the frig, but you don't HAVE to.

Many people ask their room steward to empty the frig of the pay items and fill it with their own things.

Some just empty it frig and put the contents under the bed (or someplace) but I've always wondered if the room steward takes inventory daily and you might get charged for said items. Maybe a reversal later, but I'd play it safe and just tell the room steward to empty it - that way they know not to charge you.

You can also bring your own soda if you want to safe even more money.:)

You can? I know I read about bringing wine, but didn't know about being able to bring soda -- cans I presume? And then if we could use the fridge that'll keep them nice and cold. Just wish we could also bring rum...! ;)

They WANT you to purchase the items in the frig, but you don't HAVE to.

Many people ask their room steward to empty the frig of the pay items and fill it with their own things.

Some just empty it frig and put the contents under the bed (or someplace) but I've always wondered if the room steward takes inventory daily and you might get charged for said items. Maybe a reversal later, but I'd play it safe and just tell the room steward to empty it - that way they know not to charge you.

Ok good, thank you, we'll probably do that! (removes temptation as well!!)

You can? I know I read about bringing wine, but didn't know about being able to bring soda -- cans I presume? And then if we could use the fridge that'll keep them nice and cold. Just wish we could also bring rum...! ;)

Don't quote me on this, but I remember the frig keeping things cool....but not 'cold'. It helped if they were cold to begin with.

We usually have the beverage package, but my Mother brought Caffeine Free Coke last time as it wasn't available the sailing before that. She brought along a case and just slapped a luggage tag on it at the pier and it appeared in her cabin. She liked the ability to grab a drink during the night without having to venture out.

And then if we could use the fridge that'll keep them nice and cold.

Unfortunately the fridges aren't usually that good. Perhaps "And then if we could use the fridge that'll keep them nice and marginally cool." would be more appropriate.

Mike

Ha ha! So I guess my husband's plan of putting an ice pack in the freezer section to use in a cooler to take to the island won't work so well....

The frig is more like a cooler, probably just better to get some ice. Also, besides soda you bring water. I have very often taken a case of water, put a luggage tag on it and given it to the porters. Nice to have if you don't have a drink package.

Seriously, Celebrity should send their customer service staff on a cruise once in a while to see how it actually works. At a minimum, they should have them read Cruise Critic so they can learn what mis-information they're dispensing. Whatever drink package you purchase is valid at Coco Cay. There will be a large BBQ buffet on Coco Cay as well. On the last day, you need to vacate your cabin by 8:00 a.m. Your actual time to leave the ship will be based on what you tell them your post-cruise plans are (flight time or other pickup arrangements). Whenever you leave your cabin, go to the buffet or dining room and enjoy your last breakfast onboard. The Celebrity Today bulletin for the final morning will tell you the opening and closing hours of each.

You need to be completely out of your stateroom by 8am. If you have a good relationship with your room steward you can often negotiate some flexibility when you have to be out of your room. You need to be off the ship by about 9:30am.

A full breakfast is available in the buffet and a sit down breakfast is available in the MDR on debarkation day for everyone. Check the Daily Bulletin for hours of operation. Departure lounges for Elite members also serve a continental breakfast.

There are two types of totes, basic and premium. Concierge class and above get both types of totes, lower staterooms just get just the basic tote. Both types are strong and durable and we use them for a variety purposes when we return home.

I think that what is often interpreted as misinformation from Customer Service as nothing more than a misunderstanding of the question or the answer.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies! We were quite surprised at the answers we were getting from the call centre; they could have been misunderstandings but we were questioning their responses so I believe they knew what we were asking. Either way, you have been very helpful -- now on to the cruise!:)

I think that what is often interpreted as misinformation from Customer Service as nothing more than a misunderstanding of the question or the answer.

"Do they serve breakfast on the last day?"

"Is food provided on the private island?" These don't seem like questions that are difficult to understand.

I think you're giving them too much credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Do they serve breakfast on the last day?"

"Is food provided on the private island?" These don't seem like questions that are difficult to understand.

I think you're giving them too much credit.

I am either misunderstanding your question or you are misunderstanding my answer. Your response is a perfect example of what I was referring to.

.........Secondly, for debarkation day, we were told we need to be off the ship by 7 am and no breakfast is provided. Given we are used to having a sit-down breakfast on the day of debarkation we were quite surprised about this, both the time and the lack of food. Is this what people have experienced?

Unfortunately, Celebrity requires you to be packed up and out of your cabin by 8 a.m. on debarkation day (which may still be 7 a.m to you on some itineraries if you have just changed time zones).

As much as we love Celebrity cruises, we must admit that their debarkation morning procedures are dreadful, very hectic and disorganized with people madly rushing about to and fro.

If you want to have a regular breakfast, you need to go to one of the dining venues to get it because Celebrity does not offer any room service breakfast at all that day (except for passengers in top suites).

So you need to wake up early, get dressed, finish packing and take all your carry-off luggage to breakfast with you, even though you may not be leaving the ship for several more hours.

Or, the other breakfast option is to get up very early and leave your belongings in your cabin while you go to get breakfast.

The advantages of doing it that way are that you can return to your cabin to wash up in your own bathroom, brush your teeth and finish packing after breakfast.

But if you do it that way, then you need to work your way back to your cabin against the traffic flow to retrieve your belongings, and then start out all over again later when you may not be able to get an elevator.

We have tried doing it both ways (take luggage with us to breakfast, or leave luggage in cabin and go back for it). Neither was satisfactory.

The other options are to skip breakfast and instead settle for pastries with coffee in the departure lounge, or wait and have breakfast somewhere else after you are off the ship.

For any previous Holland America passengers who are accustomed to the civilized, orderly way that HAL handles breakfast on debarkation day, the deficiencies of Celebrity's chaotic departure day proceedings are glaringly apparent by contrast.

Edited by varoo

Ha ha! So I guess my husband's plan of putting an ice pack in the freezer section to use in a cooler to take to the island won't work so well....

This plan won't work at all since there is no freezer section. :D The beverage package is honored on the island and food is included, at least it was on Labadee.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Thank you! Actually, on the Disney ships that we've been on the debarkation day is similar, in that you have to vacate your room by a certain time with your carry on to go to breakfast. We've done both having breakfast first and then vacating the room and vice versa. But we have to have our larger luggage packed and in the hall by 10pm the night before. So I'm familiar with that procedure, I was just surprised when the call centre told me there was no breakfast supplied. I'd be interested to hear what Holland America's procedure is.