1st Timer - HAL Speciality Dining, Do's/Don'ts

Cruisegoer

Second, going to Pinnacle for lunch is the best deal of all. Sea days and not always on all ships but watch out for it. And don't plan on a big dinner that night. Just a very lovely break in the day when it is open for lunch.

So they Pinnacle lunch is available to all passengers, not just higher level Neptune/Pinnacle class?

Second, going to Pinnacle for lunch is the best deal of all. Sea days and not always on all ships but watch out for it. And don't plan on a big dinner that night. Just a very lovely break in the day when it is open for lunch.

So they Pinnacle lunch is available to all passengers, not just higher level Neptune/Signature level?

1. A lady sat at a table next to us, promptly opened a book and began to read. Half way through dinner, her husband showed up once he had finished his dinner in the MDR. Apparently she didn't come on a cruise ship to eat dinner with a bunch of commoners. I guess when you order a wife from Russia they don't come with good manners.

Wow, that is rather harsh! Do you really know what their situation was or are you making stuff up?

So they Pinnacle lunch is available to all passengers, not just higher level Neptune/Pinnacle class?

Breakfasts in the Pinnacle (or some other dedicated locale) are a perk for Neptune level passengers, who are paying quite a bit of an extra perminum to get these perks.

However, lunch in the Pinnacle is open to all passengers, unless the room is reserved for other events -- like a specialty lunch for Neptune passengers as one more of their premium perks.

Watch the schedule daily to see when there is open lunch dining at the Pinnacle.

Love, love the clams in broth - great for dipping bread.

Yum, Clam based Bagna Cauda. :cool:

We get a Pinnacle on Explore4 but planning to also try out Canaletto. If there's been a new menu (newer than HAL site sample?) has it been post? If so I'll do a search for it.

The fresh berries with zabaglione sauce at the Pinnacle is fairly good for dessert and the more refreshing option at the end of what is typically a lot of food at that restaurant..

I agree that this is a refreshing dessert after such a rich, large dinner.

The fresh berries with zabaglione sauce at the Pinnacle is fairly good for dessert and the more refreshing option at the end of what is typically a lot of food at that restaurant..

I tried to order this on our last cruise, but they didn't have any berries. Don't plan on it on a long cruise.

I didn't like having to order dessert with my dinner order, I prefer to wait until after dinner to see how full I feel and what I'm up for to round out my meal flavors. m--

I tried to order this on our last cruise, but they didn't have any berries. Don't plan on it on a long cruise.

I didn't like having to order dessert with my dinner order, I prefer to wait until after dinner to see how full I feel and what I'm up for to round out my meal flavors. m--

Ordering dessert in advance? I don't recall having to do this unless I wanted the souffle. Certainly agree; let me see how I feel after I have finished my dinner. That is the time to order dessert.

Well on second thought I will be a four star mariner, and the PG dinner will be 17.50.

Although the current RR steaks are nowhere near the Sterling Silver steaks PG used to offer, they are still a deal at that price.

Nonetheless, the MDR has great dishes, and service equal to the PG, so no worries.

Food on a cruise is such a treat :) Could not complain if I tried....

Well on second thought I will be a four star mariner, and the PG dinner will be 17.50.

Although the current RR steaks are nowhere near the Sterling Silver steaks PG used to offer, they are still a deal at that price.

Nonetheless, the MDR has great dishes, and service equal to the PG, so no worries.

Food on a cruise is such a treat :) Could not complain if I tried....

Just a suggestion by one who has done this, try some of the other items other than steaks on the PG menu. Their Seafood Stew--Ciopinno, and I am sure the spelling is incorrect--and their Pork Chop were excellent. I have never had a restaurant provided Pork Chop, of the size that it was, that was so well prepared and not dry.

Just a suggestion by one who has done this, try some of the other items other than steaks on the PG menu. Their Seafood Stew--Ciopinno, and I am sure the spelling is incorrect--and their Pork Chop were excellent. I have never had a restaurant provided Pork Chop, of the size that it was, that was so well prepared and not dry.

Glad to hear about the pork chops. We're planning on doing several dinners at the PG including the pork chops one evening. What type of glaze do they do? Our country club does an outstanding PC (and so do I). Looking forward to the PG. How are the lamb chops and the eggplant?

Glad to hear about the pork chops. We're planning on doing several dinners at the PG including the pork chops one evening. What type of glaze do they do? Our country club does an outstanding PC (and so do I). Looking forward to the PG. How are the lamb chops and the eggplant?

I had the lamb chops and they weren't bad but they weren't good either, but they had really delicious raisin chutney that I got seconds on which made them well worth ordering. Lamb on HAL ships in the recent past has been outstanding. In the MDR, so hope they get their game back on these in the Pinnacle.

Happy to hear the pork was getting better, my first time was dry and tasteless. The size was terrific but the flavor meh. I was very disappointed because I love pork. I'll take great pork anyway over anything.

Wow, that is rather harsh! Do you really know what their situation was or are you making stuff up?

Wow! At least she minded her own business and read a book, rather than proving her rudeness by posting about someone else! Surprised you could enjoy your meal in between judging others' situations.

And, even if you could not get the waiter to refill your glasses, it is rude to get a bottle of water from your room to fill your own. And tacky. (Judgment intended.)

I had the lamb chops and they weren't bad but they weren't good either, but they had really delicious raisin chutney that I got seconds on which made them well worth ordering. Lamb on HAL ships in the recent past has been outstanding. In the MDR, so hope they get their game back on these in the Pinnacle.

Happy to hear the pork was getting better, my first time was dry and tasteless. The size was terrific but the flavor meh. I was very disappointed because I love pork. I'll take great pork anyway over anything.

What ship served the less the great lamb chops? We're looking forward to Oosterdam.

I don't recall if a glaze was used or, if it was, what it could have been.

Lamb Chops that I have had in the PG have all been well prepared as well. The only vegetarian dish I have had in the PG was a Wild Mushroom Ravioli that was good but is not something I would order again.

Different Chefs on different ships may affect one's experiences. My Seafood Stew was on the Volendam, Pork Chops on the Prinsendam, Lamb Chops on Rotterdam as well as other HAL vessels.

• 9 months later...

We are planning to make reservations for the Pinnacle, one person is a vegan, does anyone know if the Chef will accommodate a vegan dish? We even thought of ordering from the MDR the night before and have it served at the Pinnacle. Anyone have that experience?

There are vegan dishes on the PG menu. Entrees include Baked Stuffed Eggplant, Wild Mushroom Ravioli and Roasted Pumpkin Risotto.

I would not recommend that you order from the MDR and request that it be served in the PG. The quality and quantity of the items served at the PG surpasses that served in the MDR. The MDR menu is best served in the MDR or in your cabin via room service.

There are vegan dishes on the PG menu. Entrees include Baked Stuffed Eggplant, Wild Mushroom Ravioli and Roasted Pumpkin Risotto.

I would not recommend that you order from the MDR and request that it be served in the PG. The quality and quantity of the items served at the PG surpasses that served in the MDR. The MDR menu is best served in the MDR or in your cabin via room service.

The dishes you mention are not vegan they are vegetarian. All of them contain cheese, butter or eggs