Cruising with kids/special-needs kids on Liberty?

Hello forumites,

My 9-year-old daughter has moderate-functioning autism. I think she would absolutely love Liberty of the Seas. All we'd have to do is turn her loose in the H2O Zone and she could entertain herself for hours. And she'd enjoy running up and down the stairs and doing laps around deck 4. And I'm sure she'd enjoy the excursions as well.

She's pretty hit-or-miss when it comes to daycares but we'd at least try to put her in the daycare. I seem to remember the daycare on liberty has its own waterslide and splash pad as well. And I know they provide "Special-needs bags" where if we request it ahead of time they can provide special toys for her.

As far as food, I think she'd be fine as long as they don't run out of fresh fruit before the end of the week (my daughter can put away apples like you wouldn't believe!). And I'm sure that if we let them know she had specific dietary needs like brown rice, whole-wheat bread, organic chocolate milk etc. they'd either cater to them or let us bring our own.

So anyway, getting to the point:

1. Anyone have any experiences taking young kids, special-needs or otherwise, on a cruise? Sure seems like it happens a lot and most of the kids are very happy.

2. Have you ever had a kid, special-needs or otherwise, get sick on the ship out in the middle of nowhere? This, frankly, is the #1 fear I have - if my daughter gets sick it can be difficult for doctors who aren't trained to work with nonverbal kids to help her.

3. Have you ever had experiences with your own kids or someone else's kids waking up in the middle of the night? This is the other worry I have - occasionally my daughter will wake up either in the middle of the night or early in the morning, usually to party, sing, dance, bang her hands on the blankets etc., but sometimes to cry. Those walls between cabins aren't exactly made of concrete and I worry about affecting the experience of the people in the next room. Over a 7-night cruise it's pretty much guaranteed that will happen at least once, probably twice.

I will appreciate anything anyone is willing to share!

Thanks

DTXCF

Edited by DalTXColtsFan

I am about to take my 2 special needs children on the Harmony of the Seas on November 26, 2016 with a group called Autism on the Seas, I'd highly recommend checking them out, they seem to sail out of most ports a few times per year. They bring specially trained staff on the cruise to assist you and those with special needs.

https://autismontheseas.com/

My guess is that it would probably be unrealistic to expect that a doctor would have special training in this area, although you might get lucky. I think I'd consider the likelihood of this happening, the same way you did with waking up in the middle of the night. I would try emailing the cruise line to see if you can get any info about the doctor assigned to the ship for your sailing.

As far as the middle of the night issues, one thought would be to introduce yourself to your neighbors and explain the situation. Bring a "peace offering" such as some cookies or a trinket - I think most people are very understanding. I would just make sure your child is not banging on the walls, that would be a bit much.

I would go for it, unless it puts your child at risk of needing medical care that could not be handled on the ship. Maybe consider discussing the idea with your pediatrician to get their thoughts and some useful tips.

Have fun!

I am about to take my 2 special needs children on the Harmony of the Seas on November 26, 2016 with a group called Autism on the Seas, I'd highly recommend checking them out, they seem to sail out of most ports a few times per year. They bring specially trained staff on the cruise to assist you and those with special needs.

https://autismontheseas.com/

How awesome!!

Enjoy researching your cruise.

I sailed in Liberty before the slides. But generally ocean Adventure staff do not take kids to any kind of water. Too risky as the pools do not have life guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ships have "pool watchers" now.

We are also on the Harmony of the Seas 11/26 cruise with Autism on the Seas. Fantastic group and you really should look into booking with them. The kids had a wonderful time and made quick friends with one another, the staff was amazing and the cruiseline went above and beyond in accommodating. The group has a special line to get on and off the ship, which goes super fast so that helps with the waiting in line meltdowns. They sit us all in a special section of the dining room and the windjammer so if the kids want to get up and walk around or are a bit loud, it is not disrupting other passengers and they offer respite services at least once a day so the parents can get a little alone time which is a rarity in a special needs family. Our best cruise yet was with them and can't wait for the next.

That being said, we have also cruise about 5 times without them with our high functioning daughter, now 10. We always had a great time and Royal more than accommodating with the muster drill and getting us reservations for dinner because she needs to eat at a certain time. Just prepare yourself with her favorite things (bring snacks or toys she likes) and follow her lead. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!! Oh and as far as the noise at night, we have had many nights where our daughter woke up screaming and we would apologize to our neighbors and most of the time they didn't even notice. It is more annoying having people run up and bang on your door at night or a group of drunk people yelling in the halls at 3 am than an occasional noise next door from a child.

1. My son (10 years of age) has Angelman Syndrome. He has extreme behavior issues, is non-verbal, and has a seizure disorder. Cruises are the BEST vacations for a special needs family like us because there is so much FLEXIBILITY offered. I find that if I plan ahead and talk to the crew beforehand, they do everything they can so that my son can participate in activities.

2. We had a minor illness that led us to sending our son to see the doctor onboard. There is no guarantee the doctor will have any training or experience with special needs children. You will be the best source of information to bring the doctor up to speed with your child’s current health condition. I suggest talking to your child’s doctor ahead of time and try to think ahead and anticipate what your “possible” issues would be. They can write you a letter and you can bring that with you onboard. Also, ALWAYS TRAVEL WITH TRIP INSURANCE this at the very least, will help if any unexpected medical care is required

3. We’ve had A LOT of experience with this!!! My son has an erratic sleep pattern and could be awake in the wee hours of the morning full of energy. I try to request an “end” stateroom (if possible) so I only have to worry about ONE neighbor. I also do try to talk to our neighbors ahead of time and explain to them the situation. For the most part, almost all have been very understanding and sympathetic. I even bring earplugs to give (just in case they might need them). At the end of the cruise, I send them some special treats as a way to say thank you for putting up with us.

A lot of it just boils down to communication and planning ahead. Make sure you are prepared with medications, doctors note, prescriptions, etc. The ship staff for the most part is wonderful and will help you whatever way they can. We’ve gone on 9 cruises so far and we love it. We haven’t had any major issues that would make us feel otherwise =) Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by junnelsantos

My son (8) has mild to moderate autism spectrum, has been on Mariner, Freedom and Allure. Never a problem and has had fun every time. He always wants to go on cruises.

This Autism At Sea sounds great. I'll definitely look into that as we are planning Harmony next year.

Unfortunately we didn't have a great experience with Autism on the Seas on our 10/30 Allure sailing but from what I've read that's not the norm.

We had a pretty stressful cruise with my 4 year old son with ASD a week ago. I looked at the menus beforehand and saw plenty that he would usually eat so I thought we were fine. When we got there he refused to eat anything except strawberries, cookies, breakfast sausage, and one day he had a slice of pizza. Everything "smelled funny" and he refused to eat it. :(

He was also highly uncomfortable at the shows and pretty much anywhere outside the cabin because everything was SO loud. Luckily we had headphones to help with that but we'd spend the whole shows adjusting them for him because he'd start stimming (he flaps his hands a lot) and knock them off.

Positives: we contacted Royal's special needs dept ahead of time and they were super helpful! They helped set up priority embarkation and made a note on our file so the dining room staff knew my son is on the spectrum. Our meals were sent out super quickly and they sat us in a quieter corner of the dining room. It was very much appreciated!

Oh, and he did get motion sickness the entire week. Luckily it happened on the car ride down so we were able to call his pediatrician and fax an RX for anti nausea meds. That helped tremendously!

I'm not trying to scare you away from cruising. I just wanted to share our experience because vacations don't always go as planned. I think we will try it again when he's older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good ideas and suggestions. I would like to add some insight from previous sailings, I do not have a special needs child but am a pediatric RN so I come to this subject with background in dealing with special needs. RCCL does a wonderful job from what I witnessed with their Autism at Sea program.

The biggest suggestion I can say is talk and prepare your child for what they will see, hear and experience. I remember one trip...think it was Princess where a young child around 4-5 had a total meltdown in the middle of staircase. Meltdowns occur in the best of children but this was during Muster Drill. Parents kept saying practice drill was in case ship is sinking. This just set the child off....screaming I don't want ship to sink. Well this one child triggered of couple other children. Soon staircase was then backed up with children, fellow cruisers all carrying life jackets. No one could move. I felt really bad for the little girl who had the original meltdown.

So practice with your children at home on expected behaviors. This is not just special need children but all children. When we first started cruising with our girls we would have practice meals at home. Set the table with extra glasses and flatware. And of course cloth napkins. Girls really looked forward to practicing dining room behavior as we planned dinners as a countdown to cruise. Also did the no running walking exercise at places like the mall. So first time we entered a cruise ship with the girls they knew what behavior was expected. Did they need reminding not to run in halls...yes. Did they need to be reminded of dining room behavior...yes. After all they are kids.

I guess what I am saying is preparation was the key. Not preparing them is asking for disaster. They also followed cruise line dress code for mealtime. No need to buy outfits for every night. Two or three will do as they usually change after dinner for children's activities. They just wear them on alternating nights. My girls are now in 30's and remember well the practice dinners prior to cruises. In fact for family cruise we took in March, they thought they needed practicedinners...Personally I think hey wanted to come over and have Mom cook dinner 😀

Chris

Unfortunately we didn't have a great experience with Autism on the Seas on our 10/30 Allure sailing but from what I've read that's not the norm.

....Positives: we contacted Royal's special needs dept ahead of time and they were super helpful! They helped set up priority embarkation and made a note on our file so the dining room staff knew my son is on the spectrum. Our meals were sent out super quickly and they sat us in a quieter corner of the dining room. It was very much appreciated! .....

I have sailed with Autism on the Seas several times and have never had to contact Royal Caribbean directly to set up and services or accommodations - that was handled by Autism on the Seas and the group leader. We were part of a group that had Autism on the Seas staff assistance at all meals and shows - which it also sounds like you did not get. Given this, I have to question if you actually sailed with Autism on the Seas??? Did you book your travel with Autism on the Seas or another travel agent? It is one thing to utilize the Royal Caribbean autism friendly services, which are quite good. It is wholly something different, and much better, to book through and cruise with Autism on the Seas.

Chris the previous poster, had it so very right regarding PREPARATION...It is KEY to a successful cruise with children on the spectrum or not...My 6 yr old autistic grandson will be 7 next week and going on his 5th or 6th cruise...lol...I lost count. He has been cruising since he was 6 months old. We have been through the headphone phase worked most times and sometimes not. He will not use them at all now. What has worked for us and continues to work is a Social Story and preparation of what is to happen on the cruise and how he can let us know when he needs help regulating or being removed from environment....RCI has a cute social story one can download to get you started, but we found making our own and laminating the pages was more useful. He could read over and over at home his story and it could be taken with us on the cruise for review. Since we fly pre and post cruise, his story starts from the plane ride. Things like, if I get nervous I can ask for (ex:my ipad, Elmo and my blanket). Once on the ship, there are pictures of life vest and safety drill, crowds of people, stairs cases, pool area, dining area, his cabin, mini golf, adventures ocean kids camp, pizza place and theater. He has an idea what the ship will look like and activities he can choose from before hand and knows there will be crowds and what he can do and us to help him. HE LOVES CRUISING!!!! :D

I have sailed with Autism on the Seas several times and have never had to contact Royal Caribbean directly to set up and services or accommodations - that was handled by Autism on the Seas and the group leader. We were part of a group that had Autism on the Seas staff assistance at all meals and shows - which it also sounds like you did not get. Given this, I have to question if you actually sailed with Autism on the Seas??? Did you book your travel with Autism on the Seas or another travel agent? It is one thing to utilize the Royal Caribbean autism friendly services, which are quite good. It is wholly something different, and much better, to book through and cruise with Autism on the Seas.

No, we did not book through Autism on the Seas because it was so much more expensive and several of the "perks" they offer are actually offered for free through Royal. It's a long story but they came up to us after we went through security and told us that even though we did not book through them they were "adopting us" for the week and we could use their services. Then they told us to wait in a boarding area for more information, disappeared and never came back. They left us without ever explaining what we should do and it wasn't until a security officer from Port Everglades came up to us and explained to us that the AoTs staff boarded without us that we realized we were allowed to board. We would have sat there for hours if it wasn't for the guard. I posted this in detail on their Facebook page 5 days ago and they never bothered to reply there either. I was so disappointed because I planned to book through them for future trips but now I've seen how unreliable their customer service is.

No, we did not book through Autism on the Seas because it was so much more expensive and several of the "perks" they offer are actually offered for free through Royal. It's a long story but they came up to us after we went through security and told us that even though we did not book through them they were "adopting us" for the week and we could use their services. Then they told us to wait in a boarding area for more information, disappeared and never came back. They left us without ever explaining what we should do and it wasn't until a security officer from Port Everglades came up to us and explained to us that the AoTs staff boarded without us that we realized we were allowed to board. We would have sat there for hours if it wasn't for the guard. I posted this in detail on their Facebook page 5 days ago and they never bothered to reply there either. I was so disappointed because I planned to book through them for future trips but now I've seen how unreliable their customer service is.

Wow. So sorry to hear about your experience. I would HIGHLY recommend contacting them at info@autismontheseas.com or 1-800-516-5247. Like I said before, I sailed with them on several occasions and have never had any issue with their customer service, particularly when I was part of the group. I am not trying to make excuses for them, but can positively tell you that experience is NOT the norm. I would give them a call and explain what happened.

It is only $150 more a person to book with AotS and you get every perk that you would if you booked yourself. Well worth the small nominal charge for the amount of work they do all week. I really think you had some miscommunication about boarding and I would not write them off until you spoke with them. I have not heard one single negative thing from anyone that has booked with them, just the opposite.

It is only $150 more a person to book with AotS and you get every perk that you would if you booked yourself. Well worth the small nominal charge for the amount of work they do all week. I really think you had some miscommunication about boarding and I would not write them off until you spoke with them. I have not heard one single negative thing from anyone that has booked with them, just the opposite.

It was $190 per person, so $570 extra. We also would have lost $150 on board credit and champagne from AAA. I know based on reviews that our experience wasn't the norm which is why I was so surprised. Someone in their group responded to me minutes ago so I'm sure I will find out what happened momentarily. I'm not one to complain but that was a pretty crummy way to start our trip.

In case anyone finds this interesting and/or amusing and/or coincidental, I went to a seminar yesterday whose topic was how to navigate the insurance jungle when trying to get policies that cover autism therapy. After the seminar I met a BCBA who volunteers for Autism of the Seas. She couldn't shut up about what a wonderful time she always has every time she goes.

AOTS is a non-profit organization. The volunteers get their cruise paid for but don't get paid a dime on top of that. I don't know if they get any onboard credits or if AOTS pays for their excursions - I would hope they do but we didn't get into that much detail.

Honestly, I don't think my daughter needs all of the services that AOTS would provide, but I would give serious thought to booking through them nonetheless just to support an outstanding cause.

We sailed a few weeks ago on the Liberty of the Seas, my 3 year old grand daughter had a wonderful time. The staff in the royal tots was great, she loved the Slash Away Bay and the Ice Skating show. The main dining room staff were great with her; John Anthony and his staff were very helpful with her food. Sophia is very picky eater.

We have gone on several cruises with my 2 special needs daughters (19 and 16), our 7th is coming up in a few weeks, all with Royal. It has become easier as Royal has become more autism friendly, however I am always planning in advance and in touch with Royal Special Needs.

Boarding is challenging but we arrive early to do special needs boarding so we avoid the lines and the crowds. I find I need to speak up ("where is special needs boarding?") but it is now fast and easy for us.

Muster drill used to be a nightmare for us but is far better now with an alternative muster drill.

Dining is quite good. It is very challenging for my oldest to sit through dinner and talking to the waiter and ordering is very, very difficult for her. Her food must be plated in a very specific way (9 shrimp, not 8 and not 10 with no garnish and on the correct shape of plate) but the wait staff have usually been very accommodating. My youngest has dietary restrictions and the head waiter has always been very accommodating, though on our last cruise our waiters were not good. I will visit the Head Waiter after we board to speak with him. I am also in touch with RCI dining by email ahead of time to get a table that meets our needs in a quiet area of the dining room - the centre of the room would cause meltdowns and bolting.

We have used the medical centre before. I found the doctor was very receptive to my knowledge and what would be done at home. I bring letters of diagnosis with me but have never needed them.

My older daughter likes to wander at night because her sleep cycles are reversed. We have never had a problem, though she knows she must be back in the cabin by a reasonable time and she is old enough to be out alone. She finds quiet nooks on the ship to sit and read.

We also arrange for last off disembark to avoid the crowds. We go to a quiet lounge, sometimes assigned by Royal for us. We have even been walked off the ship by the Group Coordinator to make sure things go smoothly. By getting off last, we avoid the crowds in the terminal and the lines on the ship and at customs. But be sure to have very unique luggage or luggage tags so your suitcases don't get picked up by someone else, as happened to our friends who did last off with us on our last cruise.

Cruising has been a wonderful vacation for us for many years. The constant motion calms my older daughter and she is able to do more at sea than on land. I am also able to manage them both as a single mother travelling alone with them. Royal and the crew have been very helpful with whatever we have needed.

We have gone on several cruises with my 2 special needs daughters (19 and 16), our 7th is coming up in a few weeks, all with Royal. It has become easier as Royal has become more autism friendly, however I am always planning in advance and in touch with Royal Special Needs.

Boarding is challenging but we arrive early to do special needs boarding so we avoid the lines and the crowds. I find I need to speak up ("where is special needs boarding?") but it is now fast and easy for us.

Muster drill used to be a nightmare for us but is far better now with an alternative muster drill.

Dining is quite good. It is very challenging for my oldest to sit through dinner and talking to the waiter and ordering is very, very difficult for her. Her food must be plated in a very specific way (9 shrimp, not 8 and not 10 with no garnish and on the correct shape of plate) but the wait staff have usually been very accommodating. My youngest has dietary restrictions and the head waiter has always been very accommodating, though on our last cruise our waiters were not good. I will visit the Head Waiter after we board to speak with him. I am also in touch with RCI dining by email ahead of time to get a table that meets our needs in a quiet area of the dining room - the centre of the room would cause meltdowns and bolting.

We have used the medical centre before. I found the doctor was very receptive to my knowledge and what would be done at home. I bring letters of diagnosis with me but have never needed them.

My older daughter likes to wander at night because her sleep cycles are reversed. We have never had a problem, though she knows she must be back in the cabin by a reasonable time and she is old enough to be out alone. She finds quiet nooks on the ship to sit and read.

We also arrange for last off disembark to avoid the crowds. We go to a quiet lounge, sometimes assigned by Royal for us. We have even been walked off the ship by the Group Coordinator to make sure things go smoothly. By getting off last, we avoid the crowds in the terminal and the lines on the ship and at customs. But be sure to have very unique luggage or luggage tags so your suitcases don't get picked up by someone else, as happened to our friends who did last off with us on our last cruise.

Cruising has been a wonderful vacation for us for many years. The constant motion calms my older daughter and she is able to do more at sea than on land. I am also able to manage them both as a single mother travelling alone with them. Royal and the crew have been very helpful with whatever we have needed.

Your story brought joy and tears to my eyes...I love your strength, love, dedication and patience and I LOVE Royal for what they do for our children...God Bless you and your girls :D

We took our then 5 year old on Navigator when it was still in Galveston. We didn't book through AOTS, but I did contact the RCCL Special Needs dept to ask them to note it on our account.

When we checked in at Galveston, we mentioned that we had requested special needs boarding and they walked us right through, it was very calm and quick.

We booked adjoining cabins at the end of the hallway (we took our older child with us too). This meant not sharing any walls at night. I know that it's always difficult to find adjoining cabins, and even harder to find them in a specific location. Don't worry about it too much if you can't find one. We didn't find the walls to be that thin tbh.

Luckily my son is verbal, but does shut down in times of stress, which an illness usually is. We didn't have to deal with this on the ship but I brought all the meds he will usually tolerate with us.

We only did one excursion, which was a bit of an issue because the bus we took was hot and loud, which he didn't like. He also doesn't really like waiting around, and we had to do a lot of that. We probably won't do them on our next cruise.

In terms of food, we mainly stuck with the Windjammer because they could both eat the random stuff they wanted. The MDR waiters however were great when we did eat there, they would rush out his food and always had his drink waiting. On the 2nd night they even went and found his red jello for him, even though it wasn't on the menu.

After a couple of days he was feeling adventurous and wanted to check out the kids club. He was really happy just hanging out there and watching cartoons, even though he was the only one not doing the planned activity. The staff let him do that, and everyone was fine with it.

I think AOTS is an amazing organization and definitely worth the money for many families. We managed without them, but that was us. It's definitely worth looking into they might be worthwhile for you.