Buying Beverage Package On Board

bzv143

Debating going with the Explore 4 or not. Does anyone know what the charge is for a Beverage Package on board Nieuw Amsterdam (or any dam) for a 1 week cruise? My DH is a non-drinker but likes his Perrier and cokes, and I like specialty coffees and wine occasionally.

If you go to HAL's site and log into your cruise -- go to Indulgences and Beverages -- and scroll down until you find the Signature Beverage Package -- it will tell you what it will cost per package for your cruise. Each person has to buy their own package.

Also compare the cost of your cruise with the Explore4 package and without the Explore4 package.

The Signature Beverage Package is $51.69 per day (including service charge), for every day of the cruise, for every adult in the cabin.

If you don't drink much, it is probably not worth it. Just figure out the price of what you normally drink, and compare it to that total to see if it's worth it to you.

Makes Explore 4 look really really good about now! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely take the advice you've been given and find out the price WITHOUT the Explore4 package. I had our cruise booked with the package, not realizing we had the option of not getting it. Thanks to CC, I called our T.A. and took the package off.

Saved $1160 total for my husband and I!

Explore 4 was too much for us & instead purchased two $100 Beverage Cards on our cruise ...We only used one of them.. We also bought several 5 bottle wine packages..

Hal gives refunds on unused Beverage Cards, but doubt that you would get a refund on Explore 4..

IMO Explore 4 is a good deal for someone who will drinks a lot more liquor & wine than three or four beverages a day.. .

Can the beverage package be purchased at the time of booking ?:confused:

We don't buy the package, so I can't say for sure, but I believe that you can purchase it at booking time.

But, you can also just go online and purchase it right after booking and up to just a couple of days before embark. This gives you time to decide whether you want it or not.

If you are a cocktail person, you have to drink at least 6 cocktails per day to break even. For beer, or wine by the glass, you would need to drink 8 per day. This would be everyday of the cruise, if you were on shore for a whole day and not drink your quota, you would have to make up for it by drinking even more later on the cruise. You cannot use it to purchase bottled wine or any drink that costs more than $8.

Also, all adults traveling in the cabin with you would have to buy the package too, so if one person is a light drinker and can't keep up, you would have trouble reaching the break even point.

This is why we never buy this package, we couldn't possibly drink that much.

Don't know if it is still true, but when we sail out of Ft. Lauderdale we always wait to buy our beverage cards after sail-away because if the ship is still docked your purchase includes Florida sales tax. Not sure if that is also true for buying wine packages or spa passes while still docked.

Talked to HAL today re the beverage package.. If you purchase on board the charge is put through AFTER you leave the clutches of the Florida (or any other state for that matter) tax people.

That has been my experience. Pre-purchased cards are charged well before you board so also found that they were not taxed, i.e. fee is $100 and $100 charged to my credit card.

I usually wait until the 1st wine tasting to consider which wine package I will select as options often change.

On our last cruise we bought the drink package. It was good for us because it includes specialty coffees throughout the ship including the MDR. Instead of ordering a wine package, we had glasses of wine. The staff brought refills without be asked.