Assign Boarding in San Juan??

Kudos2Fly

P.S. Having assigned boarding times is one reason we have never sailed Disney! No way am I missing half of the first day because they tell me to board late afternoon!

They aren't boarding times. They are port arrival times. Your boarding time is based on the PAT. Once boarding starts at 11 they are calling boarding numbers constantly. By 1 everyone is boarding and probably before then. The only people arriving after that either chose to do that, were delayed, or ended up on a late-leaving Disney transfer from the hotel. No one's PAT says "late afternoon".

Just so ya know. If that's the only reason you're avoiding DCL it's a bogus reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mollyeilis

But wouldn't you like to board and the WJ not be packed?? I think assigned boarding times would decrease time to actually board after check in and decrease the crowd in WJ, shorter lines at the bar. Luggage is a issue and not sure how to handle.

This makes no difference...As far as the WJ scenario goes...The problem is no matter how many times an announcement is made to eat your meal and vacate the tables when you're done....many people ignore this and camp out :eek:

We were on Adventure this year, and had an assigned boarding time of noon or so. We left the hotel around 10, got there around 10:30, and they didn't question us being early at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Assigned boarding times, from what all can tell, is not being enforced.

Best I can tell, these letters began showing up in Emails May/June timeframe for only select ships and dates.

Edited by troykahack

Ah yes, the old 2+ years breaking in time. :)

(October 2014 we got the letter about delaying boarding in Ft L...ignored it of course)

Yes, we were getting the same emails at least 2 years ago about boarding/arriving by deck. Of course it says something like Diamond and above may board whenever so we get there around 11. Only time we had an issue was with our Jewel sailing out if LA, bug that was a total different issue.

Delayed boarding is something completely different than assigned boarding times.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Assigned boarding times, from what all can tell, is not being enforced.

Best I can tell, these letters began showing up in Emails May/June timeframe for only select ships and dates.

Long before that. This is staggered boarding times from Jan 2015.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2146618&highlight=Delayed+boarding

I've never seen or heard of suggested boarding times being enforced by RC at any US port, including San Juan.

Agreed. My experience too. The suggested boarding time may help spread it out but I've never seen them enforced. I believe enforced times would make it inconvenient for people due to flight times, hotel check out times, travel etc..Also, RCL seems to have the boarding situation well handled (at the ports I've been to anyway) and there is never a long wait. My worst experience was in 1996 in San Juan. We've come a long way since then.

Debarkation is generally smooth too and if there are back ups, it's usually due to Customs, not RCL.

One comment on the Windjammer crowding on boarding day is that it probably has little to do with boarding times and is more driven by how soon they can get the cabins ready. People hang out in the Windjammer with their carry-ons waiting for the go-ahead to go to the cabins. There are plenty of other places to hang out but I think once people are "planted", they don't want to move. On our last cruise on the Explorer, the cabins were ready earlier than I've ever experienced and the Windjammer was not crowded at all.

One comment on the Windjammer crowding on boarding day is that it probably has little to do with boarding times and is more driven by how soon they can get the cabins ready. People hang out in the Windjammer with their carry-ons waiting for the go-ahead to go to the cabins. There are plenty of other places to hang out but I think once people are "planted", they don't want to move. On our last cruise on the Explorer, the cabins were ready earlier than I've ever experienced and the Windjammer was not crowded at all.

Yes. This is why we usually find a spot by one of the pools to relax until the cabins are ready. We either get food at the WJ and bring it to the pool or wait until after dropping our stuff at the cabin to make that trip. Better yet find other spots than the WJ for food.

Yes. This is why we usually find a spot by one of the pools to relax until the cabins are ready. We either get food at the WJ and bring it to the pool or wait until after dropping our stuff at the cabin to make that trip. Better yet find other spots than the WJ for food.

Shhh! Don't tell people about the poolside loungers. We kinda like the nice relaxing way to wait it out till cabins are ready. It's supposed to be a secret.

Just a suggestion. If you want to beat the crowds, the meandering, the waiting in lines etc, take in a great tour called the Flavors of San Juan. It's a great way to see & eat at some of the best spots in San Juan. You'll have plenty of time to get on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! Will check into Flavors of San Juan. We did a cruise in 2006 and stayed in San Juan an extra and drove around the whole island, but never did a tour. So will check it out...