Recent Cruisers on NCL

karinad

We're just about to book today with the $50. deposit. We could either book with a GTY or pick 2 perks. My choice would be internet and tips. My question is: Does NCL run internet specials onboard? The deal with the perks is 250 mins. worth $125. Is there better deals once you get onboard? We are past passengers.

Thanks!

We're just about to book today with the $50. deposit. We could either book with a GTY or pick 2 perks. My choice would be internet and tips. My question is: Does NCL run internet specials onboard? The deal with the perks is 250 mins. worth $125. Is there better deals once you get onboard? We are past passengers.

Thanks!

I would recommend pricing it out both ways. For us, it makes more since to book the pick 2 perk. We just got off the Getaway yesterday and chose the UBP and SDP. I wouldn't recommend the wifi option as depending on what ship the quality isn't always the greatest. When we book again if the promos are the same I would choose UBP and Gratuities. As far as deals for Wifi once I board I am sorry to say I can't really help you there. I didn't really pay attention. Hopefully, someone else can.

wifi in OCT on the BA was fine with about 95% easy time connecting. once connected i had virtual no problems

if there are deals on board id love to hear them. only thing i know is if you wait i think you are charged 3.95 fee (per the NCL site if you try to buy internet, they say it's savings)

There are offers of a few minutes extra at times, although that may just apply to certain latitudes levels.

One thing to consider is whether the 250 minutes is the right plan for you anyway. If you wouldn't use it much then the smaller plan, or even paying per minute may work better for you (and therefore the value of the perk is less).

Alternatively, if you would use it a lot then the unlimited may be the best plan for you (it also means that you don't need to remember to log on and off). I don't believe that the perk is upgradeable, so it may be worthless if you would rather have the unlimited.

Does the 250 internet minutes you receive represent a better value to you than the UBP or 3SDP? If the 250 minute package is the perfect sweet spot you would use combined with eating in the MDR or buffet and only drinking the free included beverages, then I guess you have your answer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

The only "deals" I've noticed related to the unlimited package. It's not really a deal, but on a short (7 day) cruise, you may have until the second day to sign up thereby reducing the cost by about $30.--the cost for one day. On longer cruises, you may have 2 or more days to sign up. Since you are latitudes members, you get some free minutes with either package if you purchase a package on board. I was recently on Epic's TA, and the internet was faster (than a year ago) once connected. Two issues: logging off didn't always happen immediately or at all. After minutes (at least 5) of waiting for log off verification, I'd just leave it (unlimited) only to discover later, when I would try to sign on with another device, that the other device was still online. Once, years ago, I'd purchased 30 minutes to handle an unexpected situation, and it took 10 minutes just to sign off. The other issue, which I'd not had before, was the ship lost its internet due to weather. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that the intranet was still working so as long as I was logged into the system, minutes were counted (again, I was unlimited so not an issue for me). Your account shows each session and your minute/mb usage per session. The only ship that may not have this issue might be Breakaway as it uses data usage not time.

If your cruise is port intensive, you may either get your own phone service or free wifi in the ports. If being able to contact home is necessary, the iConcierge app will allow you to make VoIP calls if you pay the $10. fee then $.79/min to call. (That price may be higher now.) It really depends on what you'll need/use. We don't even consider the UBP as we spend very little on alcohol.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

We did price it both ways and with the tips and the $125. for the internet it's coming out about the same.

We are looking at a 14 day TA. I'm sure I'd use the 250 mins. with having to be on the ship for that many days. Any idea how much unlimited mins. is? We were just on Celebrity and they offered the unlimited for about $300. It was a 10 day Europe, port intensive cruise. I ended up buying a special in the middle of the cruise for about $100. for 250 mins. and no problem using them in 5-6 days with just checking email from home.

That doesn't sound like a Special! What were they charging for unlimited internet? How long was your cruise?

Oh I didn't get it. I'm trying to DISCONNECT on cruises lol. I got 300MB for $60 and that was more that I needed since I would use it to send a random message here and there. I guess unlimited would be good if you plan on streaming videos or downloading stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh I didn't get it. I'm trying to DISCONNECT on cruises lol. I got 300MB for $60 and that was more that I needed since I would use it to send a random message here and there. I guess unlimited would be good if you plan on streaming videos or downloading stuff?

Thank you! Was the 300MB/$60 for the whole cruise? I only need it just to check in with the family/mom, to let them know that all is well and that I know things at home are ok.

Thanks!

On the Jade end of last month the only special was they'd add extra minutes for purchasing package the first few days. 20 minutes for the 250 minute package. I think it was 10 minutes for the 100 minute package.

Thank you! Was the 300MB/$60 for the whole cruise? I only need it just to check in with the family/mom, to let them know that all is well and that I know things at home are ok.

Yes, whole cruise. There is also the pay as you go plan. See pic. f74815c6d9d6379f8df8a0f96e65914d.jpg

Edited by PierceChristopher

On the Gem it was much more efficient to use your own device rather than the NCL computers. Using my tablet it paid to use WiFi for free in ports, although one was expected to buy something while using their WiFi. TA not having many ports is a problem. The Caribbean is great for buying a drink and spending 90 minutes on free WiFi.

The iConcierge app was fantastic for smartphones. I was able to call my room and other connected cell phones, and text other connected cell phones. $10 for the device whole trip. Made planning with other cruisers easier.

Edited by PierceChristopher

The iConcierge app was fantastic for smartphones. I was able to call my room and other connected cell phones, and text other connected cell phones. $10 for the device whole trip. Made planning with other cruisers easier.

Wasn't aware there was a charge to use IConierge app. Each device would need to pay $ 10.00?

Wasn't aware there was a charge to use IConierge app. Each device would need to pay $ 10.00?

It's $10 to message other phones that also have the iConcierge app and also paid the $10. I think you can't call stateroom from your cell phone unless you've paid the $10.