Cruising with Dones

Glad there is a thread on this..

My Brother is licensed with the FAA. He is getting ready to go his first cruise with us.

He wants to bring his drone and writes for Drone Magazine. ( He has had the cover story two or three times)

We will be on the Ruby Princess.

It looks like from what I read on here.. RCCL.. has allowed it. Princess does not.

Is that correct? Thx.

I think both will not allow it unless prior arrangements have been made.

Extra Kim stated

Everyone here told me that it was impossible to board the ship with a drone (I have a Phantom II), even after I got the permission from Royal.

Talk to Princess and explain that you are willing to hand in the drone during your time onboard.

My Brother is licensed with the FAA. He is getting ready to go his first cruise with us.

He wants to bring his drone and writes for Drone Magazine. ( He has had the cover story two or three times)

It looks like from what I read on here.. RCCL.. has allowed it. Princess does not.

Is that correct? Thx.

Drones are listed as a prohibited item not allowed to be brought on board with RCI as well.

And why would anything about your brother being licensed with the FAA and writing for Drone Magazine be a valid reason to have that prohibition ignored by a cruise line?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Drones are listed as a prohibited item not allowed to be brought on board with RCI as well.

And why would anything about your brother being licensed with the FAA and writing for Drone Magazine be a valid reason to have that prohibition ignored by a cruise line?

Not sure. But it seems someone did say they got permission from RCCL to bring their drone on board. Not sure how they did it. Seems writing an article and giving the cruise line free advertising might be a reason.

Not sure. But it seems someone did say they got permission from RCCL to bring their drone on board. Not sure how they did it.

Yes, someone did get permission but they didn't elaborate on what or how they went about getting the permission. Perhaps that poster will come back.

Seems writing an article and giving the cruise line free advertising might be a reason.

The free advertising may be a plus but it might also bring out more people who want special permission to over ride the current policy.

Not sure. But it seems someone did say they got permission from RCCL to bring their drone on board. Not sure how they did it. Seems writing an article and giving the cruise line free advertising might be a reason.

That is pure speculation - the poster didn't say he wanted to write an article on board, only that he wrote for the magazine. And what kind of article would require a drone to be with the writer? So, in other words, he won't be able or willing to write an article unless they let him bring his drone on board? Not very persuasive.:rolleyes:

Sorry - I just don't get it or see any validity for special permission unless there is some compelling reason perhaps to have it a given port of call, because they can't be flown on board. But then everyone who wanted to bring a drone on board would find a "compelling reason".

Edited by leaveitallbehind

One of two things are going to happen:

Cruise lines will continue to ban drones - with no exceptions.

Or

Some cruise lines will make an occasional exception fo people who have compelling reasons. Once exceptions are granted, more and more people will get the idea and request exceptions. Finally, with enough exceptions granted, it is virtually certain that some accident will happen - either injuring a passenger or damaging personal property or part of the ship.

Then, cruise lines will decide to ban drones - with no exceptions.

Unfortunately, the rambling horde on these boards have no clue on drones, drone photography, or really anything remotely close to the subject.

Fly one past my balcony and you'll learn real fast how well of a clue I have on making homemade slingshots. ;)

To the OP

Please check the title of your post -are you concerned with using drones or dones on a cruise ?

If you are sailing with Princess and Princess prohibits the use of drones (dones?), then

enough said. No amount of postings on CC or opinions are going to change the cruise line's policy.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think given enough reason and having gone through the proper channels with enough time to process the request, and exemption may be granted. Not so much for use on the cruise but for use off the cruise and in port. I do not think the cruise line would worry too much about what happens to a passenger if they get them selves in trouble (with the law) while ashore.

Is that correct? Thx.

You can't bring a drone onboard RCCL, without a permission. I contacted RCCL before our cruise, got a permission to bring it as long as I didn't had access to it during my time onboard the ship. You need to hand in the drone or the remote control to the ships security when you are boarding. You and the security personel sign a paper that you have handed them the drone, when you get into a port you show your paper just before you leave the ship and get your drone back. When you come back onboard you hand in the drone again. That's how it worked back in 2015 when I had my drone with me. Turned out very well.

You can't bring a drone onboard RCCL, without a permission. I contacted RCCL before our cruise, got a permission to bring it as long as I didn't had access to it during my time onboard the ship. You need to hand in the drone or the remote control to the ships security when you are boarding. You and the security personel sign a paper that you have handed them the drone, when you get into a port you show your paper just before you leave the ship and get your drone back. When you come back onboard you hand in the drone again. That's how it worked back in 2015 when I had my drone with me. Turned out very well.

Thank you for the info. What ports were you allowed to use it in? Did you have to have special permission for that too? Thx again.

I'm pretty sure he joking, hence the ;). Lighten up.

Was I? ;)

Actually, I was. But when it comes to people's fragile little feelings, I ran out of craps to give a long time ago. If they think I'm serious, it makes no difference to me. :D

Was I? ;)

Actually, I was. But when it comes to people's fragile little feelings, I ran out of craps to give a long time ago. If they think I'm serious, it makes no difference to me. :D

I suppose you are right.

At the end of the day, no matter what you post, some people may get the intent differently as to what was meant, some may be offended, some may laugh. :D