Dress code on the website

Elviex

I just got off the Oasis of the Seas. I stressed before we left about clothes for my teens now that they are growing up. After seeing how people dressed, I don't know why I stressed out and bought them new clothes. I saw people in

t-shorts/athletic shorts and flip flops at dinner. Kids with headphones on their head while eating and people arriving 30 minutes late for dinner. I wore a sundress on non-formal nights because that's what I like. My kids and husband started in button down shirts and pants, but switched to khaki shorts with button downs after the first couple of nights. I thought they looked much nicer than most of what I saw, and it looked better than the recommended "jeans" I was told to do instead of dressy shorts.

IMO

On RCI, nobody will be refused dining room service unless wearing a bathing suit. That said, most folks dress-up fancy on formal night (on 6-8 day cruises you will have two of them). On all other nights, men wear slacks or jeans and a shirt with a collar and women wear weather-appropriate dresses or slacks and blouse. It's rather inappropriate to wear shorts and a tee shirt to dinner if you are older than 12, but those who do tend to attract some undesirable glances. Have fun on your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On RCI, nobody will be refused dining room service unless wearing a bathing suit. That said, most folks dress-up fancy on formal night (on 6-8 day cruises you will have two of them). On all other nights, men wear slacks or jeans and a shirt with a collar and women wear weather-appropriate dresses or slacks and blouse. It's rather inappropriate to wear shorts and a tee shirt to dinner if you are older than 12, but those who do tend to attract some undesirable glances. Have fun on your cruise!

I just need to point out that we did not receive any undesirable glances. I did receive compliments on how nice my boys looked and how well behaved and polite they were. If my boys (who are at the top of their class in high school and have almost perfect college entrance scores) decide to wear a nice button down and dress shorts to eat dinner for 90 minutes then I don't have a problem with it. I thought they looked more appropriate than if they had worn jeans.

On our recent b2b Freedom OTS cruises (5-20 Nov) there were many men in the MDR for dinner in shorts and button down shirts or button down collared tee shirts on just about every night except the formal nights. We didn't see any odd glances as everyone was enjoying their dinner.

I just need to point out that we did not receive any undesirable glances. I did receive compliments on how nice my boys looked and how well behaved and polite they were. If my boys (who are at the top of their class in high school and have almost perfect college entrance scores) decide to wear a nice button down and dress shorts to eat dinner for 90 minutes then I don't have a problem with it. I thought they looked more appropriate than if they had worn jeans.

What in the name of all that is holy do their academic accomplishments have to do with clothing?!?!?!?!?

IMHO - makes no difference. If a smaller venue wants to enforce formal attire I get it, this venue is too large. I agree with the "suggested" comment; don't understand "some like to do the right thing". Unless the dress policy is absolute, what is right becomes a personal choice.

Hey folks, everyone calm down. Oasis won't enforce their suggested attire, Crystal will. If you want to be true to the plan, follow the code, if you want to do your own thing, do so. Nobody will change their habits or how they raise their kids by a post by me or anyone else on Cruise Critic. Newcomers to cruising want information on norms and that's what we experienced folks should provide. Don't be contrary just for the sake of it. We love to cruise - relax, have fun, and discuss.

What in the name of all that is holy do their academic accomplishments have to do with clothing?!?!?!?!?

I was just trying to stress that they are good kids and for someone to say that they should be glared at due to not meeting the standards of what someone else feels is proper is wrong. I would never do that to a child, over 12 or not. Momma bear came out. As the previous person stressed, it is suggested, and I feel that some of the standards for what is appropriate is generational and regional.

People need to care more about their own vacation and not about making someone feel bad by glaring at them if they don't like what they are wearing.

I was just trying to stress that they are good kids and for someone to say that they should be glared at due to not meeting the standards of what someone else feels is proper is wrong. I would never do that to a child, over 12 or not. Momma bear came out. As the previous person stressed, it is suggested, and I feel that some of the standards for what is appropriate is generational and regional.

People need to care more about their own vacation and not about making someone feel bad by glaring at them if they don't like what they are wearing.

There is no rule for kids over 12, that was made up by a previous poster who was trying to set their own rules. They need to follow their own suggestion and relax and stop glaring at others.

I do think that on most formal nights and MDR seatings people tend to dress much smarter and neater. My wife love photos and if its just facebook or professional pictures she is always on our family about their clothing. But everyone is different and whats appropriate for some is inappropriate for others..We tend to worry about ourselves and not judge others... Remember we are all sailing together, would be boring if we were al the same....

Many thanks for the helpful replies. Unless we eat in the Windjammer on the formal night hubby will be packing a suit for one night in a five week trip!! Oh well!

The specialty restaurants are Smart Casual every night, including formal night.

Over the past few years this has been the most posted thing on cc. After 16 cruises I have seen a drop in the level of dress code enforcement in the MDR on formal nights. Guys come on you can take one pair of chinos and a nice colored shirt and leave the old tee shirt and cargo shorts for other nights than formal night. You are not eating in McDonalds that night.

I for one would prefer RC enforce the rules. Is it too much to ask people to have some class. I've been seated in the MDR next to some guy with a wool skull cap and sleeveless shirt. Maybe I should not care, but having a nice dinner is hard when a few feet away in your line of sight is some hairy guys back and pits.

The problem is that everyone has a different opinion as to what is acceptable. I used to bring my tux on a cruise - no more. But, we do follow the suggested code and enjoy dressing up. We go to the specialty dinning most nights (last cruise - 13 of 14 nights), just seems that the MDR is just becoming a cattle call.

I for one would prefer RC enforce the rules. Is it too much to ask people to have some class. I've been seated in the MDR next to some guy with a wool skull cap and sleeveless shirt. Maybe I should not care, but having a nice dinner is hard when a few feet away in your line of sight is some hairy guys back and pits.

The problem is that everyone has a different opinion as to what is acceptable. I used to bring my tux on a cruise - no more. But, we do follow the suggested code and enjoy dressing up. We go to the specialty dinning most nights (last cruise - 13 of 14 nights), just seems that the MDR is just becoming a cattle call.

Can not agree with you more