NCL Escape - Can I run on Deck 8?

mystang52

I'm an avid runner and on other ships I run on the Panorama deck. The official jogging track on the Escape is 8 loops to do one mile. This is my first time on Escape - I realize Deck 8 is not a complete "circle" but would I be able to run there? I'd rather not feel like a hamster running so many small circles on that jogging deck.

I'm an avid runner and on other ships I run on the Panorama deck. The official jogging track on the Escape is 8 loops to do one mile. This is my first time on Escape - I realize Deck 8 is not a complete "circle" but would I be able to run there? I'd rather not feel like a hamster running so many small circles on that jogging deck.

No. you need to run on the jogging track. Or on a treadmill in the gym.

I was on the Breakaway and went to the gym to run every morning about 7 am. There would have been no way I could have done a full solid run. Just use the treadmill and you wont get yourself stressed or annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with the previous comments. You won't be able to run on Deck 8. At times it might seem empty but there are always going to be people there.

The jogging track is awful, especially the part that goes into that narrow space near the arcade and Margaritaville. Lots of people wandering in and out of that area. There are supposed to be set times for the jogging track and yet people attempt to run on that thing even at crowded times during the day and get so annoyed when people walk onto the track.

Just stick to the treadmill.

Part of the problem is the design of the *Away class ship's quasi-"running track" ... crossing the paths at multiple points with other users. Use the fitness center & just do the treadmill, it's indoor & all-weather and you don't have to worry about stumbling or running into a variety of moving "obstacles".

For the "slow" walkers - an alternative is the lifeboat deck (or, Deck 7) - port side seemed to be better (and, as I recalled seeing people out on starboard side puffing away ... whether that's permitted or not). There's usually nobody out there and signage neither prohibit or allow "walking" exercise - NOT jogging or running, slow walking is fine - unless it's closed due to rough seas or weather/safety reasons. And, it's covered and sheltered against the elements ... unlike deck 16. Deck 8 or the Promenade Deck is NOT good either.

The track on the Escape is located in high traffic area, horrible placement. You would for sure have to run on off times. Your best bet would be treadmill on the Escape.

The running track actually closes at like 8:00am, I think. The hours are listed in the Dailies, but a lot of people ignore that, try to run later, then get frustrated at the crowd.

Going to be training for a half-marathon when our cruise happens and was hoping to have an alternative place to run as well given all I've read about the running track.

So question, how crowded does the gym get since that seems the only real alternative?

Going to be training for a half-marathon when our cruise happens and was hoping to have an alternative place to run as well given all I've read about the running track.

So question, how crowded does the gym get since that seems the only real alternative?

Depends on how crowded your sailing is, whether you go at peak times, and whether it's a sea day or port day. We were on a Spring Break sailing, and the ship was crowded. At 7 AM every day I think the treadmills were pretty full. People had to wait. I didn't really try going at any other time, so other times could be better.

The running track actually closes at like 8:00am, I think. The hours are listed in the Dailies, but a lot of people ignore that, try to run later, then get frustrated at the crowd.
Yes, this happened every day. Even though the track is technically closed, there was always at least one man or woman who was running like they were training for an ultramarathon, and then constantly cursing or muttering when people were on the track.

I was just on the Escape in November and would get to the gym around 8:45 am and there were always a couple of dreadmills available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband is training for marathons year 'round. Something many don't consider is running at the ports. It's a great way to see things. He'll usually map out routes at home before we leave.

Just another suggestion, although perhaps an obvious one.

Edited by LrgPizza

My husband is training for marathons year 'round. Something many don't consider is running at the ports. It's a great way to see things. He'll usually map out routes at home before we leave.

Just another suggestion, although perhaps an obvious one.

I always thought about doing this but I'm a woman and run by myself and always a little worried.

Thought I may do this in Bermuda when we went in August but I chickened out LOL

I won't be doing any running for a month or two since my MRI I got on Monday shows I have a torn tendon, stress fractors, acute plantars faciatias and swelling in my bone marrow in my foot :(

My boot is on order :(

Edited by js

Can you, well yes of course you CAN since you said you do have the ability to run. Are you able to of course. May you, well if that is where the track is of course. If not then probably not, because by doing so you will basically telling everyone else on the deck screw you while they try to eat etc.

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE: I ran on Deck 8 (U shape). Clearly the best option. I'm an early riser, and started my runs by 6:30 AM or so. There were never more than a couple of walkers on that deck, and the occasional slalom-like weaving around the wind breaks was no problem. The first morning I ran by 2 security guards and all they said was "Good Morning" so running on Deck 8 is presumably permitted.

Obviously it would be impractical to do this later in the day, but I ran 4 times in the early morning without any problem.

GREAT! I am an early riser too. I don't run - a lot - mostly jog and fast walk. And I did the latter on deck 8 last March just like you early morning around 6:30-7:30. You probably encountered others fast walking as I did. Definitely the better option versus the jogging track and if you're not hassling others, what do they care? For me it's one of the best parts of the cruise day. You feel energized afterward and its a pre-emptive strike against the calories to come. Plus its palatable if you're like me and out cold by 10 pm each night. : )

The fact that you DID run doesn't mean that you should have ran or that you should recommend people run on Deck 8. Running should be done in the jogging track.

E.g. CAN you drive 50 mph in a 25 mph zone,,,, sure. SHOULD You drive 50 mpm in a zone designed for pedestrians walking,,, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The fact that you DID run doesn't mean that you should have ran or that you should recommend people run on Deck 8. Running should be done in the jogging track.

E.g. CAN you drive 50 mph in a 25 mph zone,,,, sure. SHOULD You drive 50 mpm in a zone designed for pedestrians walking,,, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Wow, you sure seem judgmental. But as I wrote, the security personnel had no issue with me running there. Have a nice day.

UPDATE: I ran on Deck 8 (U shape).The first morning I ran by 2 security guards and all they said was "Good Morning" so running on Deck 8 is presumably permitted.

Just because the "guards" said Good Morning does not mean it's alright... just no one complained.

One more "it's all about me runner" - and runner's wonder why walkers get cranky around them.

I realize this can go back and forth eternally, and I thought this Forum was for sharing information. I'm frankly surprised by what I see as 2 nasty (and unnecessary) comments. I also post here with attempts at brevity. So, let me elaborate - yes, I did ask the security guards (after their Good Morning salutation).

And, as I also wrote, since it was early morning there literally were just 3 or 4 other people. What a shock, we smiled at each other, said good morning, and there was no animosity whatsoever! I guess not everyone shares their dislike of "me-only runners."

Maybe this is not the Forum for me. In any event, this is my last posting on this thread. Feel free to flame me if it'll make you feel better or tough.