1st time cruisers

nannyx5

We are going on our 1st cruise in April of 2017 to Hawaii on Princess Cruise Line. Are they really strict about formal nights? my husband will wear a pair of slacks, shirt, tie and vest. i want to wear a maxi or mid dress but i cant wear heels.

also what is the weather like on sea from San Francisco to Hawaii like?

We are going on our 1st cruise in April of 2017 to Hawaii on Princess Cruise Line. Are they really strict about formal nights? my husband will wear a pair of slacks, shirt, tie and vest. i want to wear a maxi or mid dress but i cant wear heels.

Welcome to CC.

Your choice of dress is spot on, a few will be in suits and gowns and a few in slacks and polo's. My wife's parents did this cruise a few years ago on the Star Princess, three of the five days going were the roughest seas they had every encountered. Four days in the islands had fantastic weather, and the return trip was five days of absolute glass. The only guarantee for weather is that it changes for every cruise.. happy cruising

You might want to pick up some dressy flat sandals that you can also wear during the day. I wear sandals like these on cruises:

http://www.zappos.com/paradox-london-pink-flame-silver

Great day or night and can be dressy or casual depending on what you are wearing. Most importantly, they are comfortable.

I checked them out. Lovely, but even that heel would hurt my planter faschiatis(sp?). All of mine have to have very cushiony inner soles. I have one pair of go-walk Sketchers that are very comfy, and a pair of Lands End sandles that work. Wish I could wear things that were that pretty, but they just aren't comfy enough for me.

Our last three cruises were the RTs to Hawaii from LA on Princess. Very enjoyable.

There's three formal nights on your cruise, but that's the dress code in the MDRs. The maitre'd has the final say so as to what people are wearing at dinner. On our last cruise, one guy at a table near us wore a dress shirt (long sleeve) in ghastly solid colors without a jacket on all three nights. My hubby wore his one dress suit (not a dark one but more of a tweed) with a dress shirt and festive tie because of the holidays. Usually he'll take off his jacket and drape on his chair. I usually will wear cocktail length dresses or a crepy long one piece pants outfit. I don't wear heels ever so always flats. In fact, the shoes I was wearing that were less casual actually hurt my toe so I switched to my regular sandals the rest of the cruise (I only brought those plus a pair of walking shoes).

For smart casual, your hubby can wear a polo shirt or tropical shirt (my hubby lives in tropical shirts) and slacks for the MDR or specialty restaurants at night. I usually wear sundresses or a gauzy skirt. I actually brought a really nice pair of black skinny jeans on that last cruise -- usually jeans can be too warm for many cruises -- and I fit in at dinner.

day wear: tee shirts and shorts are fine, but it may be too cool the first few days and maybe the last few days of your cruise. Once you start getting closer to the islands you'll notice some warming.

I was in SF a few days last March and it usually isn't too warm (the August before we were there on a day when it did get into the low 90s, that's rare).

The great thing about Princess's Hawaiian cruises is that there's a fantastic cultural program. Classes in lei making, hula, ukelele, seminars on tropical food, Hawaiian culture. If Elua, a musical duo, are on your ship, make sure to check the Patter every day to see where they're performing. there could be another musical duo on your ship, so check them out.

My main concern is that you'll be crossing a current that usually produces rough seas. So try out some motion sickness remedies ahead of time and bring what seems to work.

Welcome to cruise critic.:D

From the Princess website -

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

•Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

•Suit pants with dinner jackets for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

•Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

And no, the dress codes are not strictly enforced.

I can't wear heels at the best of times but for sure now because I broke my foot 8 weeks ago so I'm wearing Keens' water sandals and using a knee scooter to get around on the cruise.

I always pack two sundresses with various shawls to dress them up. I also pack a coupe of skirts and t-shirts with a couple of light dressy sweaters. I rotate the sweater/shawls between the outfits. It works well. I pair a cute dressy necklace on the dressy nights to make it flashier.

My hubby takes two pair of beige pants and two different dress shirts with a dark jacket and several golf shirts.