[LIVE] From the Serenade of the Seas 2-12 December 2016

Tortola was our first stop on our first cruise in 2004. There was nothing at the port, and I mean nothing. There was a dirt parking lot for the excursion vans/taxis/open-air jitneys. There may have been a couple of tents set up. We took a HAL excursion of a tour of the island, including the area where there had been a British naval outpost. All I remember is having a sample of Pusser's Rum. Not the last thing I remember on that cruise! HaHa!

But that was the only place where there were a few shops; other than that, I don't think we even left the jitney.

Hope it doesn't turn into a port like all the rest, but it looks like it is. After all, I see a Crocs shop. I'm sure there's a DI there somewhere!

Enjoying your review and photos. Will be on Serenade on 12/23. Notice you don't eat in the MDR much' date=' but if you do, could you post the dinner menus?

Some reviews I've read lately mention that the MDR menus have changed and have less items. We're D+ and have enjoyed the MDR food menu options.

I'll look forward to checking out your ongoing reviews.[/quote']

Kathie told me that last night's Featured Selection in the MDR was "Goat Cheese Pizza. :eek: I hope to get a photo of the menu soon.

For years, one of RCI's best offerings in the MDR was the "Filet of Beef" which was normally served on the first night. It was always excellent and a meal that the Kitchen Staff could be proud of.

I have been told it is now gone!

We have not eaten in the MDR for our last several cruises and most likely will not eat there on this cruise.

Trainman-2, noticed that you're reading The Last Jihad. Love the series of books by the same author, i.e., Rosenberg. Suggest that you check out the library and look for novels by Daniel Silva. Excellent writer who researched all the sites described in his terrorist books.You won't be disappointed. We, the souse and, I are leaving in December 22nd on the same cruise and itinerary as you are presently on. Best regards and hope you and your lovely wife enjoy the cruise. Sheldon

Thanks for the tip JR.

I will check him out!

Did you get mint jelly? Dying to know!!! :p The lamb chops looked beautiful. I can't even imagine pizza being on the menu in the MDR!

I too love your hat! Glad that you haven't gotten any flack from it. We had family (in-laws) de-friending each other over the whole situation. :rolleyes:

Trainman-2, noticed that you're reading The Last Jihad. Love the series of books by the same author, i.e., Rosenberg. Suggest that you check out the library and look for novels by Daniel Silva. Excellent writer who researched all the sites described in his terrorist books.You won't be disappointed. We, the souse and, I are leaving in December 22nd on the same cruise and itinerary as you are presently on. Best regards and hope you and your lovely wife enjoy the cruise. Sheldon

Vince Flynn and Brad Thor also are good authors for thrillers.

I have a few minutes for a quick update.

We went ashore this morning just after a rain shower and returned just before another rain shower. We "shopped" all of the stores in the terminal area but felt that everything was over priced and didn't see anything we could not get along without.

We were on board in time for lunch at the Windjammer.

Here we are on our way to the terminal area where we posed for this photo.

DSCN0333_zpsairqwzpl.jpg

Much more later...

Trainman, I like the walker you have and would like to get one like that for my husband. My husband is tall like you and the walker looks very sturdy. He has one like Judith's but to me it's not high enough for him. When you get home any info on where I can find one like that would be appreciated.

Last time we were in Tortola most of those shops were not open yet. The few that were there were very high end.

Theresa

Did you get mint jelly? Dying to know!!! :p The lamb chops looked beautiful.

YES! They had the mint jelly for us! Unfortunately, it was in a "serving dish" and at room temperature so it has sort of liquefied and become like soup. But the taste was still there and it worked out just fine!

Trainman, I like the walker you have and would like to get one like that for my husband. My husband is tall like you and the walker looks very sturdy. He has one like Judith's but to me it's not high enough for him. When you get home any info on where I can find one like that would be appreciated.

Theresa

I did a quick check on Amazon and I am pretty sure that this is it. I particularly like the heavy duty plastic fold down seat which also locks the two sides in position. It also folds up flat easily. I have mine adjusted so that it is as high as possible.

Mine is older and has 6" wheels which are available separately. The larger the wheels the easier it is to roll.

81Lxck17%2BcL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Deluxe-Rollator-Casters/dp/B002VWJYRA/ref=sr_1_19_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1481015504&sr=8-19&keywords=drive%2Brollators&th=1

Trainman2. Could you ask if WIFI with only SURF is available on board and the cost per day. The website is offering surf and stream only and we have no use for the streaming part.

It would be 12.99/day for Surf only so you are better off getting the Stream online before the cruise at 11.99.

Theresa

In addition to Trainman's walker recommendation, take a look at the Drive Nitro Euro Style Rollator. My husband has one and couldn't be happier with it. It folds up in three seconds and is very lightweight. It comes in different heights and has larger wheels for rollating around cobblestones and rough terraine. You can see it on Amazon

Edited by kokopelli-az

psupa

I am sorry but I was wrong. Here is a link to the Rollator that I have on Amazon but it is listed as out of stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Invacare-Adult-Rollite-Wheeled-Rollator/dp/B003JNQTCI/ref=sr_1_12_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1481046331&sr=8-12&keywords=Invacare+Rollator

Check local supplier and also thrift stores like Goodwill for availability.

Key features:

- Largest wheels you can get

- Easy to fold up

- Flattens out for storage.

Fantastic train and bus ride around the island today.

The buses were waiting for us at the foot of the gangway and took us to the train. The train took us about 2/3 of the way around theisland where we met the buses which took us right to the ship.

We got home exhausted and after a quick clean up headed up to the Windjammer.

Judith

DSCN0457_zpsit4pefsu.jpg

Me

DSCN0459_zpskmmpr9nl.jpg

It's Nap Time!

Photos & More later...

Trainman-2, Suggest that you check out the library and look for novels by Daniel Silva. Excellent writer who researched all the sites described in his terrorist books.You won't be disappointed.

I also highly recommend Daniel Silva's books. He gets better and better with every new book.

Enjoying your reviews very much, Trainman-2. Thank you for doing this:)

The railroad excursion was probably the best we have been on.

The railroad is the original two (2) foot gauge sugar cane railroad that hauled cut sugar cane from the fields to the processing plant.

Some of the cars have been converted to two deck tourist cars. The lower deck is air conditioned and has a "basic" rest room. The upper deck is covered but has mostly open sides, no A/C, and the best all around views. You reach the upper deck by a very narrow, very steep, curved stairway. It has nice sturdy railings and both Judith and I were able to pull ourselves up easily.

The crew folded up our walkers and brought them along on the bus and then loaded them onto our rail car.

I don't see anyway that a scooter or powered wheelchair could be accommodated in either the bus or the rail car.

We rode the buses from the ship to the train. We rode the train about 3/4 of the way around the island and when we came to the end of the rebuilt track, our buses met us and drove us back to the ship.

Both the bus rides and the train ride were narrated and we learned the history of the island and the points of interest were pointed out to

us.

CAUTION: The rail cars were "tippy" and weaved around a lot. This might bother some people but didn't seem to affect anyone on the train.

A small self propelled rail car precedes the train to check the track and verify that is is in good condition and that there are no trees down or rock slides or other problems.

DSCN0456_zpsszwqe7qu.jpg

These photos give you an idea of the view from the upper decks of the cars.

DSCN0424_zpsv8pp04um.jpg

DSCN0391_zpscylg6rdv.jpg

DSCN0390_zpsxygj2krt.jpg

DSCN0425_zps1tkhp8eg.jpg

DSCN0389_zpsqvxrb6li.jpg