On board now Viking Sea random thoughts

PatriciaF

Comcox - We have just returned from the Star and there was an area in the Viking Living Room labeled "Book Exchange". It was all fiction/paperback left from previous passengers. Over the course of our cruise my husband and I left 5 books and all were picked up by other passengers to read. I did notice the last morning that the number of books had increased, probably due to the fact that upon packing, passengers decided they did not want to have to carry the books home. The area was around the corner in the Viking Living Room so you had to know it was there. Look around in that area and hopefully you will find something other then non-fiction.

Thanks Planterx2 for the clues on where to look. Hopefully the Sea will have the same book corner.

Premium wines by the glass in The Reaturant

Prosecco Riondo 5.50

White

Tommasi Le Rose Pinot Grigio 6.00

Domaine Uby, Colombard, Ugni Blanc, 6.00

Red

Valpolicella, Corvinone Rondinella 6.00

Papa Luna, Shiraz, Motoro, La Mancha. 6.00

Note with the Silver Spirits package you will receive the premium wine pairings in Chefs Table at no additional cost, usually 25.00

I did not see any card at Manfredi's.

While you may be limited to the number of reservations you can make on line before the cruise, there is no limit once on board. Manfredi's appears to fill up faster than Chefs Table. It takes about 2 hours for dinner in either specialty restaurant compared to only one in The Restaurant.

Thanks very much! We are considering a cruise with many, many days (world cruise) with Viking. We have never sailed with Viking before. Can you give us your opinion if you think Viking cruises (food, service, entertainment) give the impression of being a good choice for a world cruise?

I think it would depend on what you are looking for on a world cruise. From a comfort, beautiful ship/cabins...yes. Food...yes. Destination focus...yes.

From an entertainment perspective I guess it depends on what you are hoping for.

If we would want to be gone that length of time from family, I would certainly want to look at Viking. We spent 29 days on the inaugural Star cruise and loved it. We are booked 22 days on Amazon next year. Maybe that is a good indication of our happiness with Viking.

Edited by Vineyard View

We've been on 2 world cruises, both with Regent (2007 and 2010). Wonderful experiences.

On the first one we though about all the ports we would visit and had not really thought about shipboard life. And that was a great part of the trip. It was excellent. After 111 days and 119 days, we made some really good friends -- going to lectures, on excursions, cocktails and dining together. It was basically all inclusive, as will be the first Viking World Cruise in 2018.

The Regent Voyager is a 700 pax ship and had about 600-650 onboard each of its 5 segments, about 235-250 who went all the way.

I understand that the 930 pax Sun is already pretty much sold out except for the 3 mid-to-lower categories. We signed up last May for the yet-to-be built Viking Sun's 120-day version of the 2018 WC from LA to London. Can't wait!

I understand that the 930 pax Sun is already pretty much sold out except for the 3 mid-to-lower categories. We signed up last May for the yet-to-be built Viking Sun's 120-day version of the 2018 WC from LA to London. Can't wait!

You are booked on the world cruise with Wiking? Could you please share how you are going to apply for the visa for India and China? Apparently both visas cannot be applied months in advance or online.

We signed up last May for the yet-to-be built Viking Sun's 120-day version of the 2018 WC from LA to London. Can't wait!

A Viking high muckety-muck was on our cruise this past June and I was asking him questions about the WC (because I was hoping it would be available in segments) and at that point, which was barely two months after it had opened for booking, the cruise was 60% sold out already.

You are booked on the world cruise with Wiking? Could you please share how you are going to apply for the visa for India and China? Apparently both visas cannot be applied months in advance or online.

When we took the Viking river cruise to china, we used their visa company recommended, excellent service. Pay extra for the expedited service. Or you can go to the embassy

When we took the Viking river cruise to china, we used their visa company recommended, excellent service. Pay extra for the expedited service. Or you can go to the embassy

True, but there are timing issue. A Chinese visa cannot be applied for more than 3 months before the date of entry into the country. If they wait for that three months window to kick in, they might not have their passports back in time to board the ship. They don't reach Shanghai until Day 83 of the cruise (Day 62, leaving from LA). Even if they go to the consulate personally, it takes two visits--one to deliver the paperwork and passport and another a few days later to pick up the passport. Working by mail can take 3 weeks.

BTW, somebody started an "all things world cruise" thread in this forum and this sounds like just the topic that should be brought up in that thread.

True, but there are timing issue. A Chinese visa cannot be applied for more than 3 months before the date of entry into the country. If they wait for that three months window to kick in, they might not have their passports back in time to board the ship. They don't reach Shanghai until Day 83 of the cruise (Day 62, leaving from LA). Even if they go to the consulate personally, it takes two visits--one to deliver the paperwork and passport and another a few days later to pick up the passport. Working by mail can take 3 weeks.

BTW, somebody started an "all things world cruise" thread in this forum and this sounds like just the topic that should be brought up in that thread.

Exactly Peregrina! The same problem with India. Ich thanks for the reference to the other thread. I will post there.

Very true

Exactly Peregrina! The same problem with India. Ich thanks for the reference to the other thread. I will post there.

Right, and India is even further into the the cruise.

Besides the "World Cruise" thread (and the roll call if it is available yet), I would also seek roll calls from other world cruises, maybe even ones that have sailed already, to see if the topic comes up and some suggestions are given. Finally, I would even contact Viking to see if they have any suggestions how to handle this particular visa problem.

FYI, I took Peregina' suggestion and updated what I know about visas on the the "All Things Viking World Cruise" thread.

We had a great cruise, great weather for the time of year, very good to excellent included shore excursions, good to excellent dining.

There are only 3 washers and dryers on each deck. I recommend that if you want to do laundry do it early in the morning, right after return from a shore excursion (and before lunch), or late at night. The laundrette on our floor was the busiest place I saw on the ship.

I have cruised about 30 times, first time ever ship did NOT arrive at disembarkation port when scheduled. We ended up sailing to Trieste and being bused back to Venice. We got to our Venice hotel at 945 PM--when we had expected to be there around 9 AM. Viking rebooked air and paid for hotel rooms for those who booked their airfare from them. If you booked your own, you could ask them for help or use the internet to do it. Any additional cost was on you (or you could later submit to your travel insurance company if purchased and included travel delays.) We will have to consider if we want to roll the dice on arriving back on time in the future. People on board seemed to take the change pretty calmly--I think most were experienced travelers and knew you can't control the weather.

World Cruise--we were in port every day and not back from the included shore excursion until 1 PM or later (we were usually on the second one of the day). There wasn't much scheduled to do and oftentimes, what you wanted to do overlapped with another--tea was at 4 PM--which you should do at least once and so was the port talk. I didn't find the enrichment lectures very interesting, geology (no real interest); photography (pretty basic); and ancient warfare of the area (my husband loved it.) You can watch these later on the TV. I don't know what would keep you busy during the many sea days the WC would have. I like to read, but how much do you want to read during the day? I don't like being away from home for more than 2 1/2 weeks, so not for me.

Interactive screens are all over the ship for the menus, weather, news, tabletop games (Texas Hold'em, Blackjack, Chess, etc.). The TV was interactive too with live TV (pretty much just worldwide news channels), movies on demand, and some TV shows, like Caribbean Life on demand.

Food--Manfredi's was the best but Chef's Table a close second. The Restaurant (AKA main dining room) was good to very good. The buffet had some great selections and some theme nights, but for breakfast and lunch pretty repetitive with a rather small selection if you are use to sailing to bigger ships as we were.

We paid a bargain rate for this cruise especially after our Viking past cruiser discount. I don't know if we would do it again and more than 3 times what we paid for the cabin we received.

Did they decorate the ship for Christmas?

Yes, the ship had some Christmas trees up and some artificial pine garland with lights up. Not over the top. We have never sailed at Christmas time so I can't compare it to another line.

How was the stability of the ship? Did you feel the Sea rocking and rolling? I enjoyed the Viking river cruises partly because of the smooth ride and I am booked on the Sea in May in the Baltic. I forget that seasickness may become an issue. 😳 How was 'the ride'?

We had pretty smooth seas (and really great weather for the time of the year). I took a bonine the evening before we were to arrive in Santorini as I knew we would be tendering into port. But really not needed.

We were in a deck 6 very aft cabin, there was some motion at times, but pretty smooth.

BUT--if there were heavy seas, I'm sure I would have been taking bonine every night before bed.

We did cruise the Baltic with HAL a few years ago at the end of May and had smooth seas the entire cruise.