Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Requests always honoured .......she likes medium to medium well ....

Jeff

55118E89-5CA0-4604-B56F-0AEEF767557C.jpg

Absolute perfection!

Looking at the Yorkshire pudding, I have to share the time that I made them (once only). The recipe stated that the oil has to "smoke" before putting in the batter....... I followed instructions perfectly and all of the smoke alarms in the house went off. Our kitties freaked out. However, the Yorkshire pudding was delicious.

Terry I have just finished watching the Super Bowl. I love watching sport and in my time have played many (mostly badly 😄) but I'm sorry I just don't understand your game. I appreciate it was close and exciting and I guess the best team won but it is so stop start and so technical I can't actually understand what is going on. Congratulations to all the Patriot supporters. When you support a team and they win the top game there is no better feeling- I do understand that!

Have you ever seen a game of Australian Rules Football? If not, see if you can find a tape and watch it. I would love to know what you thought of our game. It's fast, and tough and the players don't wear any padding, only mouth guards!

Good Day all, from India! We arrived a little after 11PM last night and negotiated customs, baggage claim, and currency exchange all by midnight. We couldn't find our transportation right away so after looking at few minutes, I called the number in our brochure and spoke to a very helpful lady who found dead them and sent them to us within 5 minutes. We were at the hotel by 1:00 and managed to sleep on and off until 9 AM.

We're taking it easy today, we decided. Staying put, adjusting to the time difference, and trying some of the hotel restaurants. Tomorrow the tour starts at 8 AM with a briefing, then we head out for a city tour of Delhi.

Almost lunch time! 12:20 PM here. Have a great day everyone! Here's the pool from our hotel room.

1430d42fcadc70d1aa5fc2333f41fbf8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Terry I have just finished watching the Super Bowl. I love watching sport and in my time have played many (mostly badly 😄) but I'm sorry I just don't understand your game. I appreciate it was close and exciting and I guess the best team won but it is so stop start and so technical I can't actually understand what is going on. Have you ever seen a game of Australian Rules Football? If not, see if you can find a tape and watch it. I would love to know what you thought of our game. It's fast, and tough and the players don't wear any padding, only mouth guards!

jpalbny: Good Day all' date=' [b']from India! [/b]We arrived a little after 11PM last night and negotiated customs, baggage claim, and currency exchange all by midnight. We couldn't find our transportation right away so after looking at few minutes, I called the number in our brochure and spoke to a very helpful lady who found dead them and sent them to us within 5 minutes. We were at the hotel by 1:00 and managed to sleep on and off until 9 AM.

spinnaker2: I saw the "pruning". It was disturbing.

Yes' date=' it was an amazing [b']Super Bowl win by Tom Brady [/b]and the Patriots. What a come-back, plus the Half-Time Show by Lady Gaga was totally excellent and very creative. Understand that our American football rules can be complex, especially for those who do not follow these games closely. Sorry, have not followed Australian football rules. Keeping straight the differences between American college and pro football rules is challenging enough.

Yes, appreciate the update and picture by J.P. Glad that they have arrived safely and look forward to as many updates as possible.

Personally, I hate any type of censorship, limitations on free speech, etc. At times, the "rules" for these boards are very hard to understand and follow. Not happy with what I call the "inconsistencies" I have seen over time. But, we are not suppose to talk about such topics by their rules and how they apply them. That can be very frustrating!! My background in high school and college was focused in journalism and over the years I have been involved in many of these complex legal issues. Not easy!! Don't know or understand what happened on this board with any such "pruning". Whether it be college campuses where "thugs" use violence to stop people they don't like from having free speech rights or certain people in the media not providing balance on both sides, it is a complex, challenging issue. Then, the evolving rules/trends for "social media" have added dramatically to the changing mix in recent years.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 220,854 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Since this is an off-topic thread (which I love) and you live in Bermuda, what would you recommend is the best way to get from the cruise port (Royal Naval Dockyard) to Hamilton? We were there very briefly in late November and would like to spend the day there on our visit late next month. Also, any restaurant recommendations? Another passenger told us about a wonderful Italian lunch that they had but I neglected to ask the name of it. Thanks much!

Are you not cruising in on Silversea? The Wind on Mar 30th will be docking alongside Front St in Hamilton; all you have to do is cross the road.

If you are on the Riviera or Seven Seas Explorer, the best way into town by far is by the blue route ferry which only takes 20 mins but read the schedule carefully, it's still the reduced winter schedule, which you can find at the Bermuda Dept of Marine and Ports:

http://www.rccbermuda.bm/Documents/Ferry/Winter_Schedule_2016-17.pdf

You could also take the no 7 or 8 bus which run every half hour during the day, but the journey is over an hour.

If you're on the Marco Polo, don't bother, it's a Sunday and there's nothing much open in town on a Sunday out of the main season. Stay in Dockyard and eat at the Frog and Onion - great beer and good food.

I don't eat out for lunch - I do that so much when I'm travelling - so I'm not so good on restaurants in town. It also depends on your price point - everything here is expensive.

For good seafood and moderate price, the Lobster Pot on Bermudiana Rd.

For expensive Italian, the Little Venice, just across the road.

For more moderate Italian, La Trattoria in Washington Lane.

For (almost) inexpensive Italian, Portofino, also on Bermudiana Rd.

For pub food (sort of) the Hog Penny on Burnaby Hill.

Port o' Call on Front St always seems popular when I walk past it but I haven't been in there for ages so I don't know what it's like these days.

Enjoy your visit! I'll be in Fort Lauderdale about to embark on the Spirit for the crossing.

Great finished product pics Jeffers.....made my mouth water!!

Pleased to see JP and Chris have arrived safely.....also looking forward to the travel blog.

Political pruning is nothing new....such a shame in many ways but that's life and we have to respect the mixed views of all and keep our own thoughts close...l personally cannot stand to even look at Mr Trump....or indeed the Mr Blairs of this world today but what can one do.....turn off the news and don't read the papers......makes for a much better and less stressful life...IMHO....this current world is so cruel.

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well Cruisers, 3 weeks from today is my FIRST Silversea cruise, and I am so excited to experience this line first hand. I feel like I know a lot of what to expect already, thanks to the information on these boards.

We get on, the day you get off, for our first ever cruise. We can not wait! Hope you can post some info on you trip as you go ;-)

We get on, the day you get off, for our first ever cruise. We can not wait! Hope you can post some info on you trip as you go ;-)

YES!! I strongly second Jeff's warm welcome for JJphotos to these Cruise Critic boards. Don't be shy! Ask any and all questions to help in your preparation and planning. Lots of good and helpful folks on these boards.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 65,162 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

I will post reviews, but probably after the cruise. I prefer to enjoy my vacation in the moment and reflect on it after my return. The hubby gets a bit aggravated if I spend time on a computer/phone! :D

Things are getting more and more crazy here, as I just accepted a new job, and turned in my resignation on Friday. So, I have to wrap up my entire workload, go on vacation, and then Start a NEW job right after return.

Are you not cruising in on Silversea? The Wind on Mar 30th will be docking alongside Front St in Hamilton; all you have to do is cross the road.

If you are on the Riviera or Seven Seas Explorer, the best way into town by far is by the blue route ferry which only takes 20 mins but read the schedule carefully, it's still the reduced winter schedule, which you can find at the Bermuda Dept of Marine and Ports:

http://www.rccbermuda.bm/Documents/Ferry/Winter_Schedule_2016-17.pdf

You could also take the no 7 or 8 bus which run every half hour during the day, but the journey is over an hour.

If you're on the Marco Polo, don't bother, it's a Sunday and there's nothing much open in town on a Sunday out of the main season. Stay in Dockyard and eat at the Frog and Onion - great beer and good food.

I don't eat out for lunch - I do that so much when I'm travelling - so I'm not so good on restaurants in town. It also depends on your price point - everything here is expensive.

For good seafood and moderate price, the Lobster Pot on Bermudiana Rd.

For expensive Italian, the Little Venice, just across the road.

For more moderate Italian, La Trattoria in Washington Lane.

For (almost) inexpensive Italian, Portofino, also on Bermudiana Rd.

For pub food (sort of) the Hog Penny on Burnaby Hill.

Port o' Call on Front St always seems popular when I walk past it but I haven't been in there for ages so I don't know what it's like these days.

Enjoy your visit! I'll be in Fort Lauderdale about to embark on the Spirit for the crossing.

Thank you so much for the great information! We will be on Regent's Explorer (we have also sailed Silversea) so we'll be there on March 29th & 30th (mid-week). Enjoy the crossing on the Spirit:)

Welcome to the Cooler JJ! and enjoy your first cruise.

Thanks, and we certainly will!

I strongly second Jeff's warm welcome for JJphotos to these Cruise Critic boards. Don't be shy! Ask any and all questions to help in your preparation and planning. Lots of good and helpful folks on these boards.

I know, it's been great just reading actually. I think the Wind will be perfect for us, for so many reasons. We are super excited.

I will post reviews, but probably after the cruise. I prefer to enjoy my vacation in the moment and reflect on it after my return. The hubby gets a bit aggravated if I spend time on a computer/phone! :D

Things are getting more and more crazy here, as I just accepted a new job, and turned in my resignation on Friday. So, I have to wrap up my entire workload, go on vacation, and then Start a NEW job right after return.

Understood, and that's an exciting couple of months coming right up for you then!

Unlurking for a moment - been fighting a dodgey tooth for the last 6 weeks which was finally removed last week and then I got dry socket - oh the joys.

Anyone know how you insure for cancellation over £10,000 in the UK?

Tks

M

Thanks Jeff but hubs has pre-existing Afib so that won't work..... Looks like we have to cancel the 2 cruises we have booked. Sigh.

M

If you go onto money supermarket they will search on insurers that will work with pre-exisitng conditions. You may find cover that way.

Jeff

I will post reviews, but probably after the cruise. I prefer to enjoy my vacation in the moment and reflect on it after my return. The hubby gets a bit aggravated if I spend time on a computer/phone! :D Things are getting more and more crazy here, as I just accepted a new job, and turned in my resignation on Friday. So, I have to wrap up my entire workload, go on vacation, and then Start a NEW job right after return.

Congratulations to our Michigan neighbor on your new job. Enjoy your vacation!!! Yes, we would like to hear "live" details as you travel, but understand those trade-offs for enjoying your vacation . . . versus . . . doing reporting as you experience the adventure.

Any word from J.P. and Chris in India?

Just watching TV news now with details on the big snow storm getting ready to hit Pennsylvania up through New England. Fortunately here in Central Ohio, we will miss that mess.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,571 views for this posting.

He had the condition last year and it wasn't a problem. I did find something but its with an insurance co we've not heard of.

M

mw8811

I have same condition and insure up to £10000 pp with the over 50's speciality company in the UK and at a reasonable cost for 2

Very, very wise.

It seems to me that most people reaching pensionable age have a list of previous ailments that it would be wise to declare even if they are not current. We also insured with a UK company and listed everything and all were accepted at a very reasonable joint premium. You never know how good the company is until you have a problem but it's better to have cover than not.

Just as an aside, M on the off chance you have a private health policy many will extend whatever cover you have on the main policy to overseas travel including all your current conditions if treatable under the main policy within a wider travel policy. We had one until a year or so ago but the premiums have now made us self insure for UK medical care.

Jeff

Greetings Coolers.....

Welcome to all our new posters.....

MW...so sorry to hear of your problems....do hope you can get it all sorted.

Spins...hope your son continues to recover.

Hopefully we will hear from JP soon....

Terry...please don't send any nasty weather over here! [emoji6] our forecast isn't good at the moment as it is!

Happy Day

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk