Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

They look yummy. Dinner tonight was...eating out. We went to bed early last night and were happily anticipating a good night's sleep. Ashley had other ideas...

She hopped up on the kitchen table at about 12:30, looking for food. She managed to knock the pepper grinder over, which clattered loudly enough to set off the glass break detector. So stage 4 sleep was rudely interrupted by the alarm system at about 100 decibels!

After our adrenal glands had been summarily emptied, it took about 2 hours to calm down and fall back asleep. No energy for cooking tonight, I'm afraid. Tomorrow is a new day. I have a nice piece of tuna steak in the fridge to work with. Should be a nice day for grilling!

Good night all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hello Coolers,

JP, funny story to read early in my morning. I bet you and Chris will laugh once you get over the interrupted sleep.

Shots, your quesadillas look delightful. One year to go until the next cruise....just like our schedule.

Jeff, regarding music creation, let's see if the link works.

http://www.cornell.edu/video/roberto-sierra-creating-music

Yes, budget and work limits us as well. I see you are from Michigan... can it even get warm in the summer? Just kidding! We lived in Milwaukee for a while, and I hardly took my sweater off; but then, I had just arrived at cold climes. Never been to your state, should be beautiful

DH loves ribeye, but I prefer filet. If it was served with the wraparound bacon, it was called filet mignon. Of course, mignon does not refer to the bacon, but that's how it used be served. Nowadays, it usually comes to me sans bacon.

Good Afternoon Camels,

I must admit I never recall having a piece of fillet that has flavour ...... no fat or marbling, but ribeye has flavour and bite. For some reason I never actually got up to bed last night so I am trying hard to keep the eyes open.

We finished all `rake seasons last night including season 4. Really love the "midnight diner" a Japanese series. I'd love to own that diner. And the latest season of Bates Motel is good. So much to view.

Exactly what DH says. But, I like my meat lean and "salpimentada". I don't know if you know/have Netflix. We find the best known British, or otherwise foreign, series on Netflix, but I haven't found rake or midnight diner (Japanese). If you can access any American ones, I find the best to have been Breaking Bad and Mad Men, which I specially LOVED. The new kid on the block is called 13 Reasons Why, dealing with teenage angst and suicide, and the main reason for watching it is to prepare ourselves for our grandkids, and all the youth related feelings we have forgotten. But I know you would enjoy Mad Men, about the incipient advertising industry in Madison Avenue in the 1950's.

We are having filet tonight. We have a wonderful butcher that dry ages for a minimum 28 days. I sear them in cast iron until charred on the outside but rare in the middle. I will post pictures when I make them later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drool... Nice filet!

Time to figure out what I'm doing with the tuna fillet. Looks tasty. I am thinking of marinating with lemon and olive oil then a quick grill, and served with asparagus and some rice or a grain. Time to see what's in the pantry...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Good Morning all,

That steak looks really good ..... it reminds me of what I use to yearn for on my regular Atlanta trips ..... there was a great place for blackened steak which use to use some special cajun spicing which and use to be produced with a lot of smoke. I never quite got the same mix here.

Camels, yes we use Netflix which is great. Wifey and I have a bit of a probelm with some American imports. You're going to find it hard to believe but on some of the fast moving stuff we don't understand most of the dialogue. Some of it is the speed where people sound as though the tape has been speeded up and some of the females sound like daffy duck but some is that language changes and the combined effect of all this is that we don't understand. There's been a problem lately with quite a lot of BBC output being mumbled and we need to put the sub-titles on. We saw the first few minutes of Mad Men and you know when you're not going to get on ...

Really loving the new larger ipad. I always feel guilty about buying stuff for myself but I'm thrilled to bits with it.

Hello All......The Muse continues to delight in every way.

Dined in Atlantide last night and both food and ambience superb. The restauarant is beautiful and quite intimate, only saw two gents without a tie but mostly all were dressed up with lots of bling on us ladies.

It is quite strange to see the mixture of dress...some very very casual but nobody seemed to be bothered and most certainly no snarky remarks were made.

After dinner we headed up to the Panorama which was very lively....the voices of Silversea performed a very upbeat number whilst mingling with the guests which got everyone in party mood....the new DJ played a lot of the old rock n roll and the dance floor was packed.....our group closed the place at 2am 😴

I believe there have been minor problems with the in suite televisions.....one of the reasons l was upgraded from deck five to eight I'm told....some first time guests were upgraded to a Silver so very nice for them.

The suite is more or less of the same design as the Spirit but feels more spacious due to the mirrors....the usual gadgets are in situ...pens, keyrings...sewing kits, shoe

shine, umbrella and also a very nice jewellery box, haven't seen any binoculars but then again l haven't looked!

Choice of three toiletries were offered....plenty of drawer space and brand new hair dryers.

The Humidor is classy and light with floor to ceiling windows....a great improvement. There is also an outside sitting area.

Arts cafe is a little gem for the early morning fix....they open at 6.30 and offer pastries along with scrambled egg sandwiches and smoked salmon rolls....here also is an outside sitting area......smoking on the starboard side of all the open decks.

Still to explore further......right now enjoying the sunshine on the pool deck......

Happy Days.....😊

Just curious as this seems a place where there is more freedom to chat. What happened to all the posts discussing dress code in the Live from Silver Muse thread.

Jeff this is why I get nervous about discussing dress code. People who push for a more casual dress on the luxury lines get supported whereas others who support a dress code disappear. So how will Silversea get to hear various viewpoints if alternates are deleted by the Host.

I fully expect this to be deleted as well. I'm off to sleep.

Julie

Welcome to the Water Cooler, Julie! Yes, we discuss odds and oodles and have fun. And I hear you. But we seem to be perceived as a minority, maybe because the casual dressers are more vocal? Reading posts, I tend to think dress code is a "male issue"; males not wanting to carry tuxes, suits nor ties. Hardly any woman complains...and you know we carry way more stuff. In Master Echo's thread he points out (in my words)... beware of the Muse if you don't want your bling to fade alongside a sockless shoe! Love lace, bling and everything formal so no Muse for me.

Hi frantic36, and let me add another welcome to the Cooler. We talk about (almost) anything here, and nothing is really off-topic. I doubt that your dress code comments will get deleted from this thread, but I did wonder if the whole sequence of dress code comments on the "Live From" thread were deleted simply because they were taking the thread off topic, in the moderator's opinion. There are many other threads where dress code is hotly debated! No need to talk about it on that thread too.

We don't mind dressing up though it would obviously be easier if we could throw some khakis and shirts in a suitcase and call it a packing job. Still, we can almost always get away with one rollaboard and one checked suitcase for a cruise with pre- and or post-extensions, and that is including our formal wear. I have a tux that I like wearing and I bring it; Chris brings a long dress or two. I also have to throw in a jacket for informal and casual nights, and a few ties.

It doesn't take up too much room and I don't mind. When it gets annoying and I can't do it, we'll look for a line that doesn't require formal wear. We've also cruised Oceania and we enjoyed their dress code too. And we're looking forward to our Silver Explorer cruise in six months; no formal wear required. I think we'll be able to use just the two rollaboards.

I wish the dress code issue weren't so polarizing. We're all there on the ship to have fun. I can empathize with those who feel that they are putting in a lot of effort to lug their formal wear along, so they might feel slighted by someone who they perceive isn't putting in any effort at all. But does that really make your formal wear shine less brightly? IMO it makes it stand out even more nicely.

Camillus112, I will have to check out Aldi. We have one in Albany, and I'm not sure why I haven't done that yet. Though I chuckled when I read your post for the first time, and I thought you were asking if have an AUDI near by...why, yes, we certainly do! Which Audi would you like? :')

Just curious as this seems a place where there is more freedom to chat. What happened to all the posts discussing dress code in the Live from Silver Muse thread.

Jeff this is why I get nervous about discussing dress code. People who push for a more casual dress on the luxury lines get supported whereas others who support a dress code disappear. So how will Silversea get to hear various viewpoints if alternates are deleted by the Host.

I fully expect this to be deleted as well. I'm off to sleep.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Lovely of you to come and visit us here nd I do so hope you make it a regular place to come and imbibe with us. The reason for my lengthy reason for perhaps clumsilly reassuring you is because as I said in my (deleted) response you should not feel unable to express an opinion for fear of flaming. In fact the Cooler was started because others who feel they should decide who posts what and were continually bullying me nd others whenever they decided they didn't want us. So I asked Host Dan whether we could have a free-wheeling self-policing place where the only rules are to not willfully set out to offend ( except of course the resident troll whom has found his way here .....) on the basis it takes some of the chatter away from other threads thus they will possibly keep more on topicand they'll have one thing less to complain about. That didn't of course stop those same people complaining tht we shouldn't have the Cooler and they tried to get it stopped. But I am too old and far too stupid to try to rationalise irrational behaviour. Many have joined over the years and there is always something new to chat about .... and we've found a way of talking about contentious issues and have differing views but we don't seem to upset each other.

Re deleted posts on the other thread. All fora have upsides and downsides and I feel that we should always observe the basic principle of respecting moderators and not criticising moderator actions on threads, and clearly the mods respond pragmatically to complaints alerted. It may not be realated but some feel a sense of power when they see posts that they alert deleted and life is too short than to do anything other than shrug and move on.

If you take my paralell of a ship being a floating hotel. The thing about the dress thing that evades me completely and I would simply like to understand, is why do some of those feel that when they dress up and others in the hotel haven't that it upsets them so badly that they feel the need to upset those others by accusing them of selfishness and complaining to the management. Isn't it more about how people behave and what they say and how they listen that makes them good company (within reason ....) rather than if they are wearing a bow tie?

Apologies for any typos I'm getting use to new bit of technology .... and I am losing and it is winning

Edited by UKCruiseJeff