Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Yes, the tortilla looks exquisite! Long day, back from my drama club in Ithaca and just beginning to see what's out there in the boards. We're supposed to have some snow tomorrow; wish I were with our cruisers, no matter the impending storms! Spins is enjoying Bermuda today, but where is Mysty?

I am also jealous of our cruisers. No snow here, but cold and rainy.

We had comfort food tonight. My special mac n' cheese. I use 5 cheeses (mild cheddar, asiago, smoked gouda, Parmesan, and Pecorino Romano), a hint to nutmeg, garlic, Tabasco, and turmeric.

Also, some fresh herbs, but they are mixed in, not as a garnish.

Warm, gooey, and comforting!

5bf297bebf53d332ca1e5d2c0860fd17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings from the Atlantic Coolers! Internet is abysmal! Seas are rough! Last night waves of 15 to18 feet. Our balcony door would not lock and kept opening and banging closed. Our fruit and plates went for a walk about. We took our glassware off the shelf and placed it on the sofa covered with a pillow. Exciting! Took 2 goes to fix the door today. I'm sure our neighbours are ready to mutiny! And the adventure continues!

Balcony looks delightful Jeffers.....what a lovely view over lunch....

Great to hear from Mysty, sounds like quite a bumpy ride along with some excitement....hope the seas settle soon.

Mouthwatering food pics as usual.....a quite simple baked potato with chilli here today for lunch as I'm in the midst of battling with the packing....just one week today l should be on route to Nice to meet The Muse.....

Happy Sunday All

☺️

What an adventure, Mysty! I can visualize the scene with the flying saucers and the banging doors...out of a sci-fi fi movie. Of course, calm seas will be with you again and it will be a fun memory. I scroll down the thread and see Jeff's placid view from his balcony and smile. Life is good. Miss Sophia, it'll seem strange to you but I love packing for a cruise. It is a mental challenge for a woman...we need too much stuff, and all coordinated... I must be a bit weird! Have a great day/night everybody!

Moove over, ye huddled masses. Militant vegans have claustrophobic cows to save http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/moove-over-refugees-militant-vegans-have-claustrophobic-cows-to-save-3jh9wrd0x?shareToken=1f61bfca319895e5a0bb5c15f0fd98c1

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This article is both an enlightening commentary and sad eye opener to the mindset of many in this world. When did common sense go out the window? Priorities are so mixed up these days.

Hi all. Wow I am following Mysty's travails, literally! When we were on the Wind our refrigerator walked out of its cabinet in rough weather. It does make for some fun seafarers tales.

Sophia have fun with the building excitement!

Camillus, can you be hired to pack?

Jeff waiting for lunch photos.

Shots your food, decadent, drool.

JP,

I have a Saab, I can't relate to any other cars...if I do the car reads my mind and won't behave.

Enjoy the day all.

This article is both an enlightening commentary and sad eye opener to the mindset of many in this world. When did common sense go out the window? Priorities are so mixed up these days.

Shots, I'm all for animal welfare but I'm not a veggie. We had the most bizarre news item on TV yesterday when a crowd of vegans where bawling their eyes out and shouting at pigs in a lorry at the entrance of an abattoir how much they loved them and their hearts were with them and to be completely honest the pigs looked quite content and happy until then and with a rather menacing and bespectcled bobble hatted vegan screaming "save the pigs, save the pigs" they started to look terrified. There were a large number of them arrested a few days ago in London.

"I just love animals and I just think that everything that is living has a right to live. Those pigs don't want to die. I've seen them just run around fields and be free. I'm a mother and they are babies. They just don't deserve to be treated in the way they are treated.

http://news.sky.com/story/fears-over-tactics-used-by-vegan-activists-at-abbatoirs-and-restaurants-10820168

Spins, I'm afraid I am ashamed of lunch down here as it is all easy. I've cut down on the curry order each nighht as I can't ever decde and tend the order everything.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I am an animal lover as well. I have 4 rescued cats, and 3 rescue horses. We have had numerous dogs that we have reduced and found new homes for over the years. BUT, I enjoy my meat. There are Black Angus bulls across the street from my house, and they sire the beef that we buy from the local butcher. The cows are treated just fine. I may not agree with some of the methods that mass farms use, but I will never protest. I can choose to buy local from the farmers I know. Vote with my money.

Also, I would never say the rights of an animal outweigh the rights of a person (except when the person is stupid and put themselves at risk with an animal, and the animal is only acting on instinct or out of fear or protection).

Well Coolers, we had company last night and in my hurry to plate food and serve while warm, I forgot to take pictures. I served homemade spaghetti pasta with meatballs and meat sauce. I even made the garlic bread and dressing for the Caesar salad.

It was delicious, and I was promptly chided by my guests for not taking pictures. A friend has suggested I start a food blog. What do you think??

Shots,

I think the problem with many of these ethics and philosophy issues is that too many people seek the comfort of absolutes and black or whites. It is perfectly possible to have quite mixed feelings about whether one wants to eat meat or not, but the outcome of what might be grey on the scale of black to white ends up with a binary decision, to eat or not eat meat. I'm about 40% along the line so remain a guilt ridden non veggy. Is that hypocrisy, .. probably ... but all of life is filled with irrational inconsistencies.

Yes you clearly are seeking that last nudge to start a food blog and that means you should. The only issue s that bogs then sort of becomes obligations and you might end up almost feeling an obligation to the blog, whereas if you blog your food on The Cooler, you can do it or not as you wish and mix it up with other chatty ingredients, like philosophy, travel, stoicism, hedonism, epecurity, and generally sitting at the bar and wondering what to say next!

It's going to be a baguette lunch on the balcony today!

b383a8c2840749ff9d1eef2d87ada11c.jpg

Appreciate this great and fun article/column from The Times about the "do-gooders" trying to save the world. Their priorities and hypocrisies are rather interesting and unique. BUT, do not try to ask any questions of them. They are very "sensitive" and do not like to hear about "things" in other parts of the world. Or, any other opinions, realities, etc!

Love the food pictures and many other details. Great picture for how you will be suffering so much in doing your baguette lunch on the balcony today!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 176,242 views for this posting.

Terry, a nice early evening glass of Vin Blanc on the balcony before the curry is ordered ....

da2fd5b2adeefb8198a8873d4d25cc86.jpg

WOW!! An even better-quality picture by Jeff that you just posted. Having better lighting later in the day really made this visual look so much more superior compared to the one shared from earlier in the day. Great sharing!! Keep rolling with the wonderful pictures, food and details.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my highly-detailed live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 30,925 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

As someone who is challenged to boil water, my digestive tract and my mind find the steady stream of food pics somewhat dichotomous

Jeffs char siu could be referenced as a piece of dead pig, that might ramp up Jeffs 40% guilt percentage a tad.

Hypocrisy seems an endemic human trait as I have never chatted with a similarly afflicted dog or horse.

Nothing like a good chunk of ste.. er dead cow…..

Good morning tgh ....

quite right. One persons hypocrisy is another persons inconsistency. As one get's older I think one is increasingly saddened at how far down the scale "average" is when it comes to the humans intelligent ability to rationalise. For example we all clamour for an honest politician but where is the appetite for a politician who says "I'm sorry, I use to think this way but now based on new information I have changed my mind". That should be the sign if someone we should want to appoint leader but consistency is placed higher on the scale than the intelligent ability to change one's mind when new information emerges. In the old days, I know ... really old days, when I managed the efforts of others, I use to encourage managers to make a decision and make a start, and whilst it was always better to take what might turn out to have been the best decision, it was better to make a start because gathering momentum would normally be in the right directions, but if it eventually turns out to be the wrong way the truth emerges earlier than if you had spent the time paralysed and agonising and not making a start for fear of being wrong. It's important for progress to forgive mistakes and treasure them as being the most educational of outcomes. You learn more from mistakes than you do successes. I never forget taking a team I managed out for a solid days drinking to celebrate an expensive error we had made, but from which we learned a lot. The message is celebrate errors as well as successes and in that way you release people's inventive and entrepreneurial potential.

Anyway ... that last paragraph was mostly due to not being tired and there being nothing decent onTV at 1 am. :)

Tonights curry was disappointing.

Good morning tgh ....

quite right. One persons hypocrisy is another persons inconsistency. As one get's older I think one is increasingly saddened at how far down the scale "average" is when it comes to the humans intelligent ability to rationalise. For example we all clamour for an honest politician but where is the appetite for a politician who says "I'm sorry, I use to think this way but now based on new information I have changed my mind". That should be the sign if someone we should want to appoint leader but consistency is placed higher on the scale than the intelligent ability to change one's mind when new information emerges. In the old days, I know ... really old days, when I managed the efforts of others, I use to encourage managers to make a decision and make a start, and whilst it was always better to take what might turn out to have been the best decision, it was better to make a start because gathering momentum would normally be in the right directions, but if it eventually turns out to be the wrong way the truth emerges earlier than if you had spent the time paralysed and agonising and not making a start for fear of being wrong. It's important for progress to forgive mistakes and treasure them as being the most educational of outcomes. You learn more from mistakes than you do successes. I never forget taking a team I managed out for a solid days drinking to celebrate an expensive error we had made, but from which we learned a lot. The message is celebrate errors as well as successes and in that way you release people's inventive and entrepreneurial potential.

Anyway ... that last paragraph was mostly due to not being tired and there being nothing decent onTV at 1 am. :)

Tonights curry was disappointing.

I agree, we shouldn't be afraid to admit mistakes or relinquish the right to change our mind after thoughtful conviction. Unfortunately, some people change their mind due to a new political reality.

Hello Coolers .....A beautiful sunny day here in the Welshlands....according to some weather forecasters this month is going to be quite hot.

Cam...l also 'quite' enjoy packing for a cruise once I'm organised and this morning I've become very organised with everything that's going now on the clothes rail...😁

Really jealous of the Spirit in Bermuda today...my most favourite place to be......l see The Muse is on the move now, from some of the pictures I've seen it looks like a lovely ship with some familiar crew faces on board already entertaining the travel agents.

Jeffers, as you know l simply adore all animals but couldn't finish reading that article after the snakes got chopped.....😩

I always hold my hands up if I'm wrong but that very rarely happens as I'm usually right.....or in extreme cases l keep my big mouth shut until l know what I'm talking about...😉😝

Iceberg wedge today with Thousand Island and Southern fried chicken.....and maybe some cheeky fries.....

Happy Day 😊

Hello Coolers .....A beautiful sunny day here in the Welshlands....according to some weather forecasters this month is going to be quite hot. Really jealous of the Spirit in Bermuda today...my most favourite place to be. Happy Day 😊

Yes, Spins and others enjoying Bermuda sounds great!! Have never had a chance to visit there, but have this location on our future "to-do" priority list. Below are a couple of recent food visuals from my iPhone camera. Much more fun and interesting to focus on dining than some other "more serious topic discussions". Sorry, just a personal preference for right now. I will let Jeff and others solve those key challenges of world!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 176,314 views for this posting.

Here are two recent dining treat visuals. I did not fix these, but got to enjoy them. That's the more fun, easier way to go for me. First, is a New Zealand rack of lamb. Yes, I like extra sauce. Second was yesterday for brunch at First Watch with shrimp and grits. Both excellent and very tasty!:

MarTravel2017BB%20194_zpsmpqwsnr5.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20195_zps3trs2ncb.jpg