Tell me EVERYTHING!!! :)

I am getting ready to book our first NCL cruise on the Escape for April. We have cruised multiple times, but only on Carnival. We are a family of 4 - hubby and I are in our late 30's and have 2 kiddos ages 5 & 10. I am such a planner...I always felt like I knew everything about Carnival and was totally prepared with each cruise. But, now I'm lost. So, tell me all you can:

- Dinner...I saw that we aren't assigned a time for dinner. That's awesome. Will we have to sit with other parties or can we request a table for 4?

- Dinner...I saw somewhere that shorts are ok for men. Is that true? (I know it's a debatable topic and some get quite testy about it, but just answer the question. ;)) Is the dress code the same in specialty restaurants as well?

- Dinner...do you have to order the items as they are noted on the menu or can you make substitutions? Like instead of roasted veggies as a side, can you get a potato instead? Can you order 2 of anything? My hubby loved being able to order 2 shrimp cocktails and steak & lobster on carnival.

- Dinner...is the kids menu the same each night? Can my 10 year old order off the adult menu?

- Specialty Dining Package...they are currently offering 3 meals free in a specialty restaurant for the first 2 guests in your room. I'm thinking Cagney's, the hibachi restaurant, and the brazilian restaurant. Since we will have to pay for the kids (except the 4 year old may be in the kids club at that time), is it the same price as adults or different menu and price for kids?

- Specialty Dining Package...what is included in the all inclusive price or a la carte priced restaurants with the 3 free deal? 1 app, 1 entree, and desert?

- Room...we are likely going to get a mid ship mini suite. But I saw that there is not much closet or storage space in any of the rooms. No drawers except under the couch. Any tips on where to put clothes for 4 people??

- Room...The bathrooms look much nicer than Carnival. But from the pictures I saw, the double sink in the mini suite looks like it takes up all the counter space. Is there any storage in the bathrooms?

- Room...kiddos want to know if there are ever towel animals?

- Room....Room service at no charge or charge?

- Room...we never drink the items from the stocked fridge, so always have the room steward remove them on Carnival. Will they empty them on here? We use our fridge for bottled waters and to keep my daughter's seizure med cold.

- Room...I find Carnival's bed to be quite comfy. What do you think about NCL beds?

- Room...When I choose my room, how can I tell if I'm choosing one with the bed or sofa beside the balcony? (I don't want my monkey child sneaking out on the balcony!)

- Room...(hopefully) smoking isn't allowed on balconies. Is that correct? Is smoking allowed anywhere outside? If so, what side of the ship? I want to make sure I book on the other side.

- Drinks...if you get the unlimited soda program, does everyone in the room have to get it? I don't drink soda but hubby does. And what soda's do they have?

- Kid's program...do your kids like it? My 5 year old is very outgoing and always loved Camp Carnival. My 10 year old is very shy and needs a little more coaxing to go. She loves to do crafty projects.

- Any last minute tips to tell me before I choose a room?

That's enough for this round of questions. Thank you so much for your help!!!

- Dinner...I saw that we aren't assigned a time for dinner. That's awesome. Will we have to sit with other parties or can we request a table for 4?

You can request

- Dinner...I saw somewhere that shorts are ok for men. Is that true? (I know it's a debatable topic and some get quite testy about it, but just answer the question. ;)) Is the dress code the same in specialty restaurants as well?

Yes, shorts are fine

- Dinner...do you have to order the items as they are noted on the menu or can you make substitutions? Like instead of roasted veggies as a side, can you get a potato instead? Can you order 2 of anything? My hubby loved being able to order 2 shrimp cocktails and steak & lobster on carnival.

You can order multiple entrees or aps or dessert or whatever. They do not generally do substitutions but you can try to request it.[/B]

- Dinner...is the kids menu the same each night? Can my 10 year old order off the adult menu?

Different menus and yes she can.

- Specialty Dining Package...they are currently offering 3 meals free in a specialty restaurant for the first 2 guests in your room. I'm thinking Cagney's, the hibachi restaurant, and the brazilian restaurant. Since we will have to pay for the kids (except the 4 year old may be in the kids club at that time), is it the same price as adults or different menu and price for kids?

- Specialty Dining Package...what is included in the all inclusive price or a la carte priced restaurants with the 3 free deal? 1 app, 1 entree, and desert?

- Room...we are likely going to get a mid ship mini suite. But I saw that there is not much closet or storage space in any of the rooms. No drawers except under the couch. Any tips on where to put clothes for 4 people??

- Room...The bathrooms look much nicer than Carnival. But from the pictures I saw, the double sink in the mini suite looks like it takes up all the counter space. Is there any storage in the bathrooms?

- Room...we never drink the items from the stocked fridge, so always have the room steward remove them on Carnival. Will they empty them on here? We use our fridge for bottled waters and to keep my daughter's seizure med cold.

Yes, the room steward will empty, just ask.

- Room...I find Carnival's bed to be quite comfy. What do you think about NCL beds?

- Room...When I choose my room, how can I tell if I'm choosing one with the bed or sofa beside the balcony? (I don't want my monkey child sneaking out on the balcony!)

- Room...(hopefully) smoking isn't allowed on balconies. Is that correct? Is smoking allowed anywhere outside? If so, what side of the ship? I want to make sure I book on the other side.

- Drinks...if you get the unlimited soda program, does everyone in the room have to get it? I don't drink soda but hubby does. And what soda's do they have?

Yes, everyone in the room gets the same package. Price it out, it is probably cheaper for him to buy ala cart.

- Kid's program...do your kids like it? My 5 year old is very outgoing and always loved Camp Carnival. My 10 year old is very shy and needs a little more coaxing to go. She loves to do crafty projects.

Answered what I could from reading up on it, I havnt gone on a Norwegian cruise yet.

I am getting ready to book our first NCL cruise on the Escape for April. We have cruised multiple times, but only on Carnival. We are a family of 4 - hubby and I are in our late 30's and have 2 kiddos ages 5 & 10. I am such a planner...I always felt like I knew everything about Carnival and was totally prepared with each cruise. But, now I'm lost. So, tell me all you can:

Tou sit with your group. Lots of four tops. Freestyle dining means you eat when you want. Usually a short line to get in to the MDR.

on the Escape, shorts are allowed in all dining rooms except Le Bistro and Bayamos. You "can" wear shorts in all other specialty restaurants. Many people will dress up a little for dinner.

substitute all you want. Has to be on menu. Lobsters are sold in the complimentary MDR for a $24.99 up charge. So,,, no lobster.

your 5 yo can order off the main menu. The kids menu is the same in all restaurants and does not change.

kids would be free in all restaurants if they order off the kids menu. All prices are fixed price (e.g. Tenppanuaki) or a la carte.

one entree and as much appitizers and desserts as you can eat.

- Room...we are likely going to get a mid ship mini suite. But I saw that there is not much closet or storage space in any of the rooms. No drawers except under the couch. Any tips on where to put clothes for 4 people

shelf space is sufficient.

there is limited storage on small shelves in the bathroom. Towel animals show up nightly. Continental breakfast room service is free. There is a flat rate delivery charge of $8 for all other orders. O'Shehans is open 24/7 if you need that midnight snack. Yes, you can have your mini fridge cleared. All water needs to be purchased on board, noncarry ons.

the escape is a year old and the beds are still comfy. Can't really speak to the Pullman.

all the 4 person rooms are configured the same,,,, someone else needs to remind us where the Pullman is. I assume away from the door. There is a child lock high up on the door.

smoking is not allowed in any guest room or balcony. When the people smoke near you, call security.

nope. Just he people who want it. Pepsi products.

both kids should do fine in the splash academy.

big ship. Get a room near the elevators. There are only forward and aft elevators. Nothing in the center. If your kids are going to use the splash academy, a family room near the academy would be best. Big ship.

Have a great cruise. We have been on the Escape twice and her sister ships the breakaway and getaway twice each. Beautiful ships.

No assigned time nor assigned group. You can show up whenever/wherever or make a reservation before you sail or while on-board.

- Dinner...I saw somewhere that shorts are ok for men. Is that true? (I know it's a debatable topic and some get quite testy about it, but just answer the question. ;))

Shorts for men are fine in most restaurants on Escape except for...

Is the dress code the same in specialty restaurants as well?

All specialty restaurants allow shorts for dinner except for Bayamo and Le Bistro.

- Dinner...do you have to order the items as they are noted on the menu or can you make substitutions? Like instead of roasted veggies as a side, can you get a potato instead?

Pick whatever side is offered...like a land-based restaurant.

Can you order 2 of anything? My hubby loved being able to order 2 shrimp cocktails and steak & lobster on carnival.

The lobster might not/probably won't happen on the current menus but may return once the "shortage" is over. As for ordering more, you can order whatever you want. Depending on your meal plan and where you eat, it will either be no charge or menu price for extras.

- Dinner...is the kids menu the same each night?

Same each night and same in every restaurant.

Can my 10 year old order off the adult menu?

Yes, but the 10 year-old will be treated as an adult (no discount).

Same price for any age if ordering from the regular menu.

The only limit is on entree (1) but the rest are not limited...even though the waiter may say otherwise. Also, no sharing to the point of feeding someone on a boatload of appetizers.

Shelves, closet space, etc. There are lots of "hidden" storage spaces that videos don't show.

Again, the storage spaces are there but not so much "in your face".

Every night is "norm"...depends on the steward. With kids, they'll probably make sure that towel animals are there.

Continental breakfast items during breakfast times = no charge

Other items = 1 charge plus the charge for the item(s) (if applicable).

- Room...we never drink the items from the stocked fridge, so always have the room steward remove them on Carnival. Will they empty them on here?

Just ask...no problem

We use our fridge for bottled waters and to keep my daughter's seizure med cold.

Possible problem...bottled water must be purchased/cannot be brought on-board.....with rare exceptions

I like them since I prefer firm. Some request a mattress topper for softness.

A mini-suite that sleeps 4 will have the bed by the balcony.

- Room...(hopefully) smoking isn't allowed on balconies. Is that correct?

Correct, fleet wide for mini-suites and standard balconies.

Is smoking allowed anywhere outside? If so, what side of the ship? I want to make sure I book on the other side.

The smokers are better to ask on this question, sorry.

- Drinks...if you get the unlimited soda program, does everyone in the room have to get it?

No, not for soda.

I don't drink soda but hubby does. And what soda's do they have?

Pepsi products. Easier to name which one in particular he prefers and see if it is there.

Can't help on this one but most reviews from parents are positive.

Make note of what is above and below the stateroom. There is an overhang that blocks the sun in some of the higher balcony decks. Some prefer the shade, some hate it.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I'll take a stab at a few...

You will be able to request a table for 4 and sit with just your family.

I believe the kids menu is the same each night, but yes, they will let your 10YO order off the adult menu.

- Specialty Dining Package...what is included in the all inclusive price or a la carte priced restaurants with the 3 free deal? 1 app, 1 entree, and dessert?

Definitely 1 app, 1 entree, and 1 dessert are included. People post frequently on here that you can get multiple apps and desserts, but just 1 entree. I attempted to order multiple apps at one restaurant on the Escape and was told no, but I think our server brought multiple desserts at another restaurant, so it may be luck of the draw.

Yep, there are nightly towel animals!

Yes they will empty the mini fridge.

I find the NCL beds comfy and always sleep well.

My 6 year old nephew LOVED Splash Academy on the Escape and couldn't wait to go. I also saw the staff address him by name whenever they saw him around the ship.

I loved our cruise on the Escape! I hope you have a great time!

Heya! You sound just like me wanting to know everything beforehand.

As this is your first NCLcruise.. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/

I won't bore you all by writing it all out again. Have a fabulous time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

request a kids menu every meal even if they want the same thing. this way they have crayons and can draw. even if they see kids at the podium they dont bring kids menus usually unless you ask i've found .

no you dont need the soda pack all 4 of you. i just sailed with only me in the room buying the soda pack. (other person was coke drinker) half the bartenders dont even ask for a card for soda only even when i asked for 2. (she broke down and drank some pepsi

Wouldn't it be great if NCL started a web site with a frequently asked questions section and information about the cruise line? That way people could do some research or heck, even go to a cruise forum and read through some threads. ;)

NCL does have Frequently Asked Questions at their site

https://www.ncl.com/faq