How does Carnival know if a child isn't potty trained?

Carleeb12

I'm not joking at all. Small, un-potty trained children will live just fine without playing in a pool for a few days. The parents can take them to a beach in port if they want to engage in water activities. Why insist on putting the baby in the pool? At age 2-3, they still won't remember either experience.

I was not aware that any event should be measured on whether it can be "remembered" or not. While I understand the concern, rules are in place to mitigate these concerns. My experience is when I have seen a pool closed it is much more likely it came from someone inebriated than defecation.

I totally agree. We didn't use hot tubs or the pool on the Sunshine this year after seeing diapered kids in the hot tubs and pool.

All the hype on the ships about washing hands to not get ill from feces transfered norvo and yet they ignore un-potty-trained kids using the hot tubs and pools. Years ago I was the head lifeguard at a child development center where all the kids allowed to swim in the kiddie pool were supposedly trained. It wasn't unusual to find a "baby ruth" floating - requiring the draining of the kiddie pool overnight.:(

Your hot tub comment has a much higher chance of contamination of the drunk who has been in there for hours than a child. In our 34 Carnival cruises, I have seen 4 pools closed, one from a small child. If you have strong feelings, Serenity might be a better bet for you...

Edited by jimbo5544

The OP asked a question, and many subsequent posters have assumed a reason or motivation behind the question. Not many have answered the question though.

Without more info from the OP, I think it's wrong to assume a motive, like how I get away with putting my diaper dependent kid in the pool. She may be wanting to protect her young toilet trained kid from other kids in the same pool. Can't tell from the post.

In earlier posts, she mentions a 2 and 1/2 yr old still needing a crib, and questions the safety of staff working in the Kids' Club. Even this extra data is insufficient to establish a reason for the OP's posting, so why can't people here just answer her question?[/quote

I did answer in post 14 , I'll admit it's a crappy answer. But there is truth in that post.

Edited by BoDidly

On my last cruise on the Elation, on the very first day, one of the first things I saw was a child in a diaper (not even a swim diaper) jumping in and out of the hot tub with her siblings. Gross. No one said anything to them. I wish Carnival would enforce.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do they give them a certain color arm band or something?

No

Or do they just look for kids wearing swim diapers in the pools and ask them to get out?

YES

I have called Guest Services when seeing a infant in parent's arms in the pool. They will immediately send the pool supervisor to speak with the parent. THe parent who then typically wants to argue that the swim diaper is sufficient before reluctantly getting out of the pool. I then think said parent needs to have their picture posted on the big TV while the pool is being drained.

I have called Guest Services when seeing a infant in parent's arms in the pool. They will immediately send the pool supervisor to speak with the parent. THe parent who then typically wants to argue that the swim diaper is sufficient before reluctantly getting out of the pool. I then think said parent needs to have their picture posted on the big TV while the pool is being drained.

Maybe they can taser them....... I have now seen it all. Infant in the pool police.

Sent from my iPhone

Your hot tub comment has a much higher chance of contamination of the drunk who has been in there for hours than a child. In our 34 Carnival cruises, I have seen 4 pools closed, one from a small child. If you have strong feelings, Serenity might be a better bet for you...

So instead of enforcing the rule of no un potty trained children in the pool/hot tub, those that choose to follow the rules should then move somewhere else? Sorry my vote is for parents to be responsible.

So instead of enforcing the rule of no un potty trained children in the pool/hot tub, those that choose to follow the rules should then move somewhere else? Sorry my vote is for parents to be responsible.

Did I say that parents should not be responsible? I simply suggested the poster may be more comfortable in an area that did not allow children. Carnival is a family cruise line. Kids come with that, like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone

Did I say that parents should not be responsible? I simply suggested the poster may be more comfortable in an area that did not allow children. Carnival is a family cruise line. Kids come with that, like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry, kids may come with that but poop in the pool/hot tub shouldn't. Not everyone else should have to placate those that don't follow the rules.

It was great when two kids pooped in the pool on the NCL Escape when we were on it. The turds shut down the pool for hours as it had to be drained and refilled. My kids were none too happy and the new water was freezing to boot. Keep your peeing and pooping kids on deck. Pools are nice to swim in when they are not turned into toilets out of ignorance to pool rules.

You've seen an adult have a bowel movement in the pool? Yikes

Remember, swim diapers only try to hold solids, not liquids. So when a kid is in a swim diaper, if they pee, they leak into to the pool too. Its disgusting.

Its why they have rules. I wouldn't try to "hide" the fact my kid isn't potty trained.

You've seen an adult have a bowel movement in the pool? Yikes

No, what I have seen is a guy sitting in the hot tub without leaving for over 4 hours that drank 4 buckets of beer himself. I have also seen a teenager vomit in the pool.....drunk....after he vomited in the bus coming back from an excursion. His mother said it was part of growing up. Notice I did not say infant once in the 3 previous statements.

Sorry, kids may come with that but poop in the pool/hot tub shouldn't. Not everyone else should have to placate those that don't follow the rules.

Sorry, where again did I say anything about allowing kids to defecate in pools or hot tubs? Reading comprehension class starts in 15 minutes....:confused:

Edited by jimbo5544

No, what I have seen is a guy sitting in the hot tub without leaving for over 4 hours that drank 4 buckets of beer himself. I have also seen a teenager vomit in the pool.....drunk....after he vomited in the bus coming back from an excursion. His mother said it was part of growing up. Notice I did not say infant once in the 3 previous statements.

The first sentence is why we do not use hot tubs on the ship anymore.

Peeing in a hot tub is disgusting but they don't shut the pool down because of it. Vomiting? Shut down immediately.

Pools get shut down typically because of young children having a bowel movement in the pool.

Peeing in a hot tub is disgusting but they don't shut the pool down because of it. Vomiting? Shut down immediately.

Pools get shut down typically because of young children having a bowel movement in the pool.

I have not tracked it.....I will take your word for it.

Do they give them a certain color arm band or something? Or do they just look for kids wearing swim diapers in the pools and ask them to get out?

To your question....Carnival relies on parents being....PARENTS....that means if the snowflake isn't potty trained, DONT GO IN THE POOL....I know the "new age" parent doesn't want to tell their little bundle of joy "NO", but that is what is needed ;)

Edited by First and Ten

I have not tracked it.....I will take your word for it.

My daughter was a lifeguard and typically when a pool gets shut down that's the reason and that's a pool on land with much higher chlorination levels.

Every Carnival cruise I've been on there have been diapered children in the pool in full view of pool attendants. That's not to say that it doesn't happen on other lines, I'm sure that it does.

My daughter was a lifeguard and typically when a pool gets shut down that's the reason and that's a pool on land with much higher chlorination levels.

Every Carnival cruise I've been on there have been diapered children in the pool in full view of pool attendants. That's not to say that it doesn't happen on other lines, I'm sure that it does.

A call by a passenger on the house phone to Guest Services solves the issue. The crew will not confront a passenger but a supervisor will be promptly summoned.

Pool water on cruise ships - at least the ones I've been on - isn't chlorinated. It's just sea water. I'm not sure if it's continuously cycled or if they drain and fill to cycle the water daily, but they keep it clean through just replacing the water very frequently. It's not like my salt water pool at home that uses the salt through a salt cell to create a baseline chlorine level.