Shooting at Ft Lauderdale airport

Colo Cruiser

What is NOT legal is to put one's ammunition, in their baggage: this is a MAJOR security laps by the TSA at Anchorage International Airport!

Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

What is NOT legal is to put one's ammunition, in their baggage: this is a MAJOR security laps by the TSA at Anchorage International Airport!

Your post is not true.......

Ammunition

Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

In the parking garage you are not allowed back into the secured airport. So I guess maybe screening before you even enter the airport is necessary. Of course nothing is foolproof. Just a deterrent. I wouldn't mind some of them National Guard with their machine guns standing watch at every arrival and departure terminal

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been already brought up.

The shooter was a member of the National Guard.

Great. I freaking hated driving through the middle of Mexico where there were white pickups filled with guys with automatic weapons and others standing around in town near some buildings. We even got stopped on the highway by guys with automatic weapons who made us pull off the road so they could search our vehicle for drugs, etc. No thanks.

I'd be perfectly happy to have our very own military guarding our airports and public transportation facilities. I also would never drive a car through the middle of Mexico.

I could be a little behind on the news but Canada keeps saying they had no one by that name, nor had anyone check a gun on their flights to FLL. I am wondering if someone in Canada put the luggage on the plane and this Santiago guy simply picked it up on this end. Perhaps there is more than one person involved.

I could be a little behind on the news but Canada keeps saying they had no one by that name, nor had anyone check a gun on their flights to FLL. I am wondering if someone in Canada put the luggage on the plane and this Santiago guy simply picked it up on this end. Perhaps there is more than one person involved.

He did not fly in from Canada. He flew in from Alaska. The Canadian bit was erroneous information.

I'd be perfectly happy to have our very own military guarding our airports and public transportation facilities.

I would also. I don't know if it would have helped in this situation but I remember that for a while after 9-11 I saw soldiers with automatic weapons patrolling the airport and I was glad to see them.

Well, if you did not have a gun at all, you could not kill people anywhere. Wait... yes you could! Let's ban stick & stones... everywhere. :rolleyes:

Doesn't have to be a gun. There have been incidents with knives too. It's not the weapon it's the individual with the weapon

Doesn't have to be a gun. There have been incidents with knives too. It's not the weapon it's the individual with the weapon
Exactly.

Heck, in Europe now the preferred weapon of mass killings is a large truck into a crowd.

You can ban any number of weapons. people set on killing will find a way..

What's your solution? Leave things the way they are? As a cruiser, I'm not happy with the idea that I could be killed at the airport headed for my vacation. Surely there's got to be a better way.

You could be killed in the local grocery store, bank, school, office building, post office or even by a family member. Life is uncertain. Staying home is an option. It's why terrorism works so well.

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been already brought up.

The shooter was a member of the National Guard.

No, he was not. He had received a general discharge. He had been a member of the guard and had been in Iraq as a combat engineer. He was not able to process what he experienced in Iraq, apparently and was having psychologicall issues according to family.

Oh my... they just reported that he had the gun in his checked bag and had flown in from Canada...:eek:

He is ex-military, flew in from Anchorage, Alaska, and yes, with his gun checked in his baggage. After retrieving his baggage, he went into the airport bathroom and got his gun out and loaded it before he started shooting innocent people in their heads.

IF they are going to allow people to fly with guns, then they ought to ensure that all guns are packed in separate "gun baggage", tagged, and accepted outside the terminal by a special officer and returned to passenger outside the airport, on the concrete, returned by an armed officer in the special unit. (TSA are not armed, and we don't want them armed.) Sure, some might still try something outside, but they would have many fewer living targets.

Gun toters should have to pay enough for this special baggage and the service by an officer to hand it back to them to be a deterrent to a decent proportion of them.

If they don't comply with this new regulation, then they don't get their guns back.

Edited by gillianrose

He is ex-military, flew in from Anchorage, Alaska and yes, with his gun checked in his baggage.

IF they are going to allow people to fly with guns, then they ought to ensure that all guns are packed in separate "gun baggage", tagged, and accepted outside the terminal by a special officer and returned to passenger outside the airport, on the concrete, returned by an armed officer in the special unit. (TSA are not armed, and we don't want them armed.) Sure, some might still try something outside, but they would have many fewer living targets.

Gun toters should have to pay enough for this special baggage and the service by an officer to hand it back to them to be a deterrent to a decent proportion of them.

If they don't comply with this new regulation, then they don't get their guns back.

Yeah, right.. You start marking luggage containing firearms and they'll never make it to their destination. You think baggage handlers steal a lot now? You'll have even more stolen guns out on the streets.

He is ex-military, flew in from Anchorage, Alaska, and yes, with his gun checked in his baggage. After retrieving his baggage, he went into the airport bathroom and got his gun out and loaded it before he started shooting innocent people in their heads.

First, checked firearms already have to be in TSA approved locked containers. Second, tagging them as "gun baggage" would only lead to thefts. Third, once the firearm is handed back to the owner outside the terminal, what prevents them from loading it and entering back in to an unsecured area? Lastly, it sounds like your proposal is not really about safety but more about making it so difficult and expensive that people will stop wanting to travel with firearms. Would you feel the same if your son or daughter were a professional marksman and frequently travelled to competitions, maybe the olympics?

I knew firearms could be carried in checked baggage, but I didn't realize that ammo could also. I would think that would be a potential safety hazard in case of a fire in the cargo hold, regardless of any other concerns.

If a plane somehow caught on fire at 30,000 feet, your concern would be if there was ammunition in the cargo hold? :confused: