Shooting at Ft Lauderdale airport

Colo Cruiser

What's your solution? Leave things the way they are? As a cruiser, I'm not happy with the idea that I could be killed at the airport headed for my vacation. Surely there's got to be a better way.

I am just out of work and hearing this! Horrible ,Horrible....

My answer ,ban guns from airplanes period ,checked or carry on!

Secure the baggage area!

Edited by Reader0108598

How would that help when anyone can walk 100 ft from the parking garage to the same spot and do the same thing?

Well ,if you did not have a gun in your luggage, you could not kill people in the airport. If you secured the baggage area ,Ex: People could not enter ,just leave, Officer stationed at entrance. That may help!

Edited by Reader0108598

So what would you do about that?

I'm originally from Soviet Union and they dealt with mentally ill people differently than in US and it worked. Of course they don't have PC crowd or liberal media there, so nobody complained about it and knew it was necessary to prevent such a tragedy.

The elephant in the room is that a senseless act of evil such as this could easily happen as we all stand in line outside trying to enter the terminal as we all want to get there at 11:00 am! Someone simply drives by with an automatic weapon. Scary!!!

The elephant in the room is that a senseless act of evil such as this could easily happen as we all stand in line outside trying to enter the terminal as we all want to get there at 11:00 am! Someone simply drives by with an automatic weapon. Scary!!!

Yes it can happen anywhere. :(

I agree evil is everywhere, Scary! We cannot eliminate a threat but we can reduce our chance of encountering one.

Reader

Well ,if you did not have a gun in your luggage, you could not kill people in the airport. If you secured the baggage area ,Ex: People could not enter ,just leave, Officer stationed at entrance. That may help!

Well, if you did not have a gun at all, you could not kill people anywhere. Wait... yes you could! Let's ban stick & stones... everywhere. :rolleyes:

This tragic incident drives home the point that there's an element of risk every time you leave your home. But my response is this - enjoy life while you can. To my wife and I traveling is a source of great enjoyment and we don't intend to stop doing it.

How would that help when anyone can walk 100 ft from the parking garage to the same spot and do the same thing?

In the parking garage you are not allowed back into the secured airport. So I guess maybe screening before you even enter the airport is necessary. Of course nothing is foolproof. Just a deterrent. I wouldn't mind some of them National Guard with their machine guns standing watch at every arrival and departure terminal

This has nothing to do with the fact that it's legal to ship a gun on the plane in your checked baggage. As long as the paperwork is in order there shouldn't be an issue. Like Keith has said, anybody could walk in from the outside and do this same thing.

I can see it now: There will be a hue and cry to ban the shipping of guns in checked luggage. It will do absolutely nothing to actually address or solve the issue but a bunch of people will "feel good" about it while trampling all over the legal rights of others.

Well, if you did not have a gun at all, you could not kill people anywhere. Wait... yes you could! Let's ban stick & stones... everywhere. :rolleyes:

Okay guys, not up for a debate tonight :) It was just my thought!

Peace

Edited by Reader0108598

In the parking garage you are not allowed back into the secured airport. So I guess maybe screening before you even enter the airport is necessary. Of course nothing is foolproof. Just a deterrent. I wouldn't mind some of them National Guard with their machine guns standing watch at every arrival and departure terminal

Great. I freaking hated driving through the middle of Mexico where there were white pickups filled with guys with automatic weapons and others standing around in town near some buildings. We even got stopped on the highway by guys with automatic weapons who made us pull off the road so they could search our vehicle for drugs, etc. No thanks.

I'm originally from Soviet Union and they dealt with mentally ill people differently than in US and it worked. Of course they don't have PC crowd or liberal media there, so nobody complained about it and knew it was necessary to prevent such a tragedy.

I'm not living in the old Soviet Union or the "new" Soviet Union either and I'm very glad of that. I prefer the PC crowd and liberal media any day.

I'm not living in the old Soviet Union or the "new" Soviet Union either and I'm very glad of that. I prefer the PC crowd and liberal media any day.

Get ready to be shot than by the guy that hears voices in his head and free to fly and purchase guns and ammo.

I walk back and forth from the garage to the main terminal all the time

Baggage/Ticketing are not secured. That's what the discussion is about.

If you have a valid boarding pass you can go in and out of the secured gate areas as many times as you want.

Not sure what you mean.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This has nothing to do with the fact that it's legal to ship a gun on the plane in your checked baggage. As long as the paperwork is in order there shouldn't be an issue. Like Keith has said, anybody could walk in from the outside and do this same thing.

I can see it now: There will be a hue and cry to ban the shipping of guns in checked luggage. It will do absolutely nothing to actually address or solve the issue but a bunch of people will "feel good" about it while trampling all over the legal rights of others.

It's not so much a matter of trampling on rights as it is a matter of deciding where to draw the line. Right now, no one is allowed to bring a gun on board a plane and there is probably 99% agreement with that restriction. But let's be honest here. That "restriction" is a form of trampling on rights. (Just ask the 1% who disagree with the restriction). But we accept it. Moving the line from "on the plane" to "under the plane" doesn't trample any greater right if and when 90% of the people agree with it. But to the other 10% it is. No rights have changed. All that has changed is the circumference of the restricted area from "on" to "under". Once a restriction has been implemented that says: "Sir, you cannot take your legally permitted firearm into this area", the right has been "trampled". The change from "this area" to "this area plus that area" simply widens the scope.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Mentally ill people exist all over the world, there is only an epidemic of mass shootings here in USA .

Mentally ill people are more likely to harm themselves than others, my daughter works with mentally ill patients.

Apparently, this gunmen is former military.

Finally, let's wait for all of the facts to emerge before jumping to conclusions.

What is NOT legal is to put one's ammunition, in their baggage: this is a MAJOR security laps by the TSA at Anchorage International Airport!

Edited by gkbiiii

It's not so much a matter of trampling on rights as it is a matter of deciding where to draw the line. Right now, no one is allowed to bring a gun on board a plane and there is probably 99% agreement with that restriction. But let's be honest here. That "restriction" is a form of trampling on rights. (Just ask the 1% who disagree with the restriction). But we accept it. Moving the line from "on the plane" to "under the plane" doesn't trample any greater right if and when 90% of the people agree with it. But to the other 10% it is. No rights have changed. All that has changed is the circumference of the restricted area from "on" to "under". Once a restriction has been implemented that says: "Sir, you cannot take your legally permitted firearm into this area", the right has been "trampled". The change from "this area" to "this area plus that area" simply widens the scope.

Totally agree....looks like someone found another way or loop hole to wreck havoc on innocent people.....what about their rights?????