Average Alcohol Consumption on a Cruise

fshagan

Still, we might think about enforcing limits on how many cruises a person can take in the interest of public health! ;)

I had a doctor a few years ago that told me in no uncertain terms that "any one who drinks more than two drinks a day is a chronic abuser of alcohol"

I changed doctors!

I hope you found a doctor that wasn't a chronic abuser of patients like that one!

Edited by fshagan

Well, that's the per passenger average per day. They aren't clear about if they are only counting passengers over 21. Either way, without a doubt, NCL's $80 per day is ridiculous and IMO just to drive up the grats they charge you. The $50 is more reasonable when you figure there are a mix of non-drinkers and occasional drinkers, with mostly the heavy drinkers getting the package.

Not surprised about the mixed drinks though, a fruity frozen umbrella drink is something a lot of people (even the guys I know) look forward to on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have always been well below the average per day listed which is why we never purchased the drink package. Having said that we will have the UBP on our next NCL cruise and while I agree $80 per day plus tips is outrageous, getting it as part of a promo for $100 per week in tips makes it well worth the cost. I'm thinking we will be above the average on our next cruise :D.

I think NCL's $79+gratuity is outrageous. We did select this as one of our "perks" on our BTB cruise in June, but only because it was offered. If it weren't, we would not have purchased it on board. We cruised on RCI last June. Their beverage package cost $49pp + gratuity included frozen drinks AND bottled water. A much better deal. The 7 night UBP on NCL costs $652.54 pp. The 9 night RCI charge was $520 pp. Just saying......

A rather significant difference, however, is that NCL offers their beverage package for only $99/week (mandatory gratuities) to anyone who wants it and has done so for like 2 years.

[quote

Still, we might think about enforcing limits on how many cruises a person can take in the interest of public health! /QUOTE]

I had a doctor a few years ago that told me in no uncertain terms that "any one who drinks more than two drinks a day is a chronic abuser of alcohol"

I changed doctors!

My definition of alcohol abuse is when you spill your drink.

We will pay the gratuities now. We've had UBP promo for a couple years without gratuities added on. They were included. But we still won't even drink that much worth of alcohol. Except the first day. While we're still in port for that matter. We'll be sound asleep by 7pm 😗😐

A rather significant difference, however, is that NCL offers their beverage package for only $99/week (mandatory gratuities) to anyone who wants it and has done so for like 2 years.

Well, not to anyone who wants it. Often there are no perks if you're in a studio even though studios usually cost more than the per-person cost of a double-occupancy booking.

I think NCL's $79+gratuity is outrageous. We did select this as one of our "perks" on our BTB cruise in June, but only because it was offered. If it weren't, we would not have purchased it on board. We cruised on RCI last June. Their beverage package cost $49pp + gratuity included frozen drinks AND bottled water. A much better deal. The 7 night UBP on NCL costs $652.54 pp. The 9 night RCI charge was $520 pp. Just saying......

Until the last year or so the alcohol package was not a perk and to make it worse we always sail in March/April during spring break and we could not even purchase it at that time because it was not offered during spring break. We definitely let loose and drink the entire cruise and between the 3 of us we have always accrued a $3-$4,000 bill throughout the week so the package for us is amazing. It adds up quick for 3 people to have a few day drinks each, then have a bottle of wine at dinner, then 2 or 3 drinks each at one of the shows, then going to the back of the boat at night for the parties and ordering a bottle, then closing out the night at Osheehans with a few more drinks while throwing darts or pool etc... That's a $600.00 day easily and if you do that just a couple times the package is worth it. (If you do it 6 times it is a real bargain)!! (then we have to give our bodies a rest for a couple months after though).

Wow.

Amazed at how much some people drink because they are on "vacation."

Our doctors consider us "very heavy drinkers" (3-4 per day).

We don't drink any more when we are on a cruise than we do at home. Would never think of buying a drink package.

Wow.

We don't drink any more when we are on a cruise than we do at home. Would never think of buying a drink package.

3-4 drinks a day works out to 25ish a week on average; sure, most people don't drink that much at home. My max in a week at home is 6, 2-3 is typical. Sure I like to splurge on vacation: in alcohol, eating, relaxing, and spending. Over the short term it doesn't build up to too much but gives you something to look forward to. If you average 25 drinks a week that works out to 1,300 for the year. If you average 5 per week and then do say, 10 a day on a 10 day vacation. Still only works out to about 350....

[quote

Still, we might think about enforcing limits on how many cruises a person can take in the interest of public health! /QUOTE]

I changed doctors!

LOL, good for you.

That's the ONLY reason I am getting the package. I'm not even sure it's worth it for me at $99/week, except that I feel more relaxed about ordering even soft drinks when it's all included.

I also feel more experimental. When I have the package, I feel OK about ordering a drink I might not like because it's not a waste of money. I discovered that I like hard cider this way!

Does hard cider count in the beer category?

Wow.

I drink a LOT more when on vacation.

Normally I drink about 2 - 4 alcoholic drinks per YEAR. While on a cruise, I might have ONE nearly every day. Maybe two on a single day.

See? On a cruise, my drinking is like 1000% higher than normal! :)

I discovered that I like hard cider this way!

Does hard cider count in the beer category?

Yes, Strongbow and Angry Orchard would fall into the beer category. Ever have Angry Balls? It's a glass of Angry Orchard with a shot of Fireball cinnamon whiskey added.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I am seriously doubting those stats on champagne.

Eh, not when it's spread out over the whole ship. That rate per day for a 3,000 passenger ship equates to 6,300 glasses of champagne served over a 7 day cruise. I've never purchased had a glass of champagne on a cruise. Usually see a lot more frozen or mixed drinks during the day and wine at dinner.

Eh, not when it's spread out over the whole ship. That rate per day for a 3,000 passenger ship equates to 6,300 glasses of champagne served over a 7 day cruise. I've never purchased had a glass of champagne on a cruise. Usually see a lot more frozen or mixed drinks during the day and wine at dinner.

It didn't mention fizzy white wine, it mentioned champagne. I just don't think they are serving up that much champagne.

[quote

I changed doctors!

There's more old drunks than there are old doctors so I guess we'd better have another round! :D:D:eek:

Agree. On our Sun Alaska cruise last September we had the drinks packages, but had booked prior to the change that required paying gratuities on the packages.

I didn't care for the red wines that were offered by the glass on the drinks package.

we booked a Fall NE and Canada cruise for 2018 and picked the internet and free excursions instead of the drinks packages and dining.

we are Platinum and get two free nights dining in specialty as well as a free bottle of wine for each meal (also a bottle of champagne for embarkation).

I always keep track of our alcohol bill on every cruise that we have done.

We are elite on Celebrity which has a free happy hour and prior to that we spent about $450-$500 on any alcohol total for both for a two week cruise. After becoming elite, that dropped to about $250-$300.

On NCL it was about the same, but with the free wine for the specialty meals, we hardly used the drinks package for the two days we had that free bottle.

We do drink a bit more on a cruise than at home, but I drink mainly wine or sometimes beer, while DW mainly wine with occasional scotch. Mo way does the DP make sense for us. Especially since NCL severely cut the choices for wines.

It didn't mention fizzy white wine, it mentioned champagne. I just don't think they are serving up that much champagne.

You are correct sir! Further research has shown that the correct figures are .299999 glasses of fuzzy white wine per day and .000001 glasses of the real stuff.

Good catch!;)

And on Norwegian the figures are .29999999999999999 glasses of the fuzzy crap..........:)

Edited by DirtyDawg

You are correct sir! Further research has shown that the correct figures are .299999 glasses of fuzzy white wine per day and .000001 glasses of the real stuff.

Good catch!;)

And on Norwegian the figures are .29999999999999999 glasses of the fuzzy crap..........:)

I for one am not a wine drinker so there is no way I would drink FUZZY whine. :rolleyes::D

I for one am not a wine drinker so there is no way I would drink FUZZY whine. :rolleyes::D

Good catch! :)

Must have been a Freudian thing this morning.:D

To me that stuff tastes like eating moldy grapes.:eek:

Or it could be I'm still FIZZY from last night! :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Good catch!;)

Cutting fizzy white wine with orange juice makes it palatable.

First cruise that we got UBP on (before the 18% gratuity was added) We kept our receipts (you had to sign at that time) and figured we spent 1/2 of what the package would have cost. Still a good deal as no gratuity. We still choose this promo but our consumption is much less but still would be more than the $99/week

I would never pay the $79pp, per day, for the UBP, or whatever the charge is. $99 for the week is a good deal.