FLL Shooting/ HAL offering counseling

niceguyneastbay

I just read the Cruise Critic article about the shootings affecting Port Everglades. I just got off the Eurodam yesterday (wow... Was that only yesterday??) The article mentioned a post somewhere on CC that another passenger had witnessed the ordeal and was still shaking. I can't imagine.

This vacation was a HUGE reminder about why to get TRAVEL INSURANCE. You can be young and healthy... but you can't plan for everything...

this last week alone - my flight to FLL was diverted to a medical emergency. Luckily, I fly down the day before, and I was only inconvenienced by a few less hours lounging at the hotel pool. There was a shooting at the airport that messed up flights nationwide... and the winter weather made traveling even more chaotic. Yes, you can kind of anticipate or plan for bad weather.... but you can't plan for someone else to get sick or for a tragedy.

Until I read that article, I had only thought about how "I" might have needed it - not thinking of those that were on their way TO the cruise.

I heard stories all day yesterday from other travelers and airport crew. The whole thing was just horrible.

It is great to see that HAL is offering services to those that were affected by the shooting at FLL.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/51a973d0-4190-379f-a516-f61cbecb6d46/ss_cruise-ships%2C-passengers%2C.html

Thank you for the article. It sounds as though the cruise lines are being responsive in light of the tragedy. Mentioned that one of the victims killed was to be on Eurodam. :(

I just read the Cruise Critic article about the shootings affecting Port Everglades. I just got off the Eurodam yesterday (wow... Was that only yesterday??) The article mentioned a post somewhere on CC that another passenger had witnessed the ordeal and was still shaking. I can't imagine.

This vacation was a HUGE reminder about why to get TRAVEL INSURANCE. You can be young and healthy... but you can't plan for everything...

this last week alone - my flight to FLL was diverted to a medical emergency. Luckily, I fly down the day before, and I was only inconvenienced by a few less hours lounging at the hotel pool. There was a shooting at the airport that messed up flights nationwide... and the winter weather made traveling even more chaotic. Yes, you can kind of anticipate or plan for bad weather.... but you can't plan for someone else to get sick or for a tragedy.

Until I read that article, I had only thought about how "I" might have needed it - not thinking of those that were on their way TO the cruise.

I heard stories all day yesterday from other travelers and airport crew. The whole thing was just horrible.

Money is fine, okay but how sad to give it such a place of importance in such a sequence of circumstances.

This tragedy has been an eye opener all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Money is fine, okay but how sad to give it such a place of importance in such a sequence of circumstances.

I don't mean to make light of what people went through. In fact, I can't even imagine what the victim's families and the witnesses are going through. I can't even imagine - not at all.

But unplanned tragedies started and ended my trip. I got off easy - especially in light of the tens of thousands of people affected both on Friday and Saturday and into next week. And besides the sun and fun from this trip - my take-away is that all sorts of things can happen in this world that we have no control over. No one is immune - so do what you need to - to protect yourself and your family and hope we all have happy and safe vacations ahead.

I think that's a little harsh

I didn't take it that way at all, she just gave us a reminder about insurance.

My heart goes out to the shooting victims and everyone affected by this tragedy. When my husband and I heard about it we were glued to the t.v.. It felt personal somehow since we had just flown thru FLL on our cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month via Delta and had been at that very baggage claim. It was not until the following day that I realized if we had not changed our booking on the Eurodam from 1/7/17 to the Nieuw Amsterdam on 12/4/16 due to the smoking policy change, we would have been flying in to FLL on the day it happened, probably landing about 50 min prior to the incident. Kudos to HAL for what they are doing.

This can happen anywhere.

And it has. Hopefully it is a wake up call for those who somehow think that they are safer by restricting their travel. Cannot lock yourself up and stay indoors though.

Right. Scary but life has to move on.

Found out my grand-niece was supposed to fly in on Delta to FLL that day. Turns out she changed her plans the day before. All the other relatives were trying to tell her to cancel after the shootings. She said "no way" and continued on her way the following day.

She is like me - we take stock and carry on with plans.

My heart goes out to the shooting victims and everyone affected by this tragedy. When my husband and I heard about it we were glued to the t.v.. It felt personal somehow since we had just flown thru FLL on our cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month via Delta and had been at that very baggage claim. It was not until the following day that I realized if we had not changed our booking on the Eurodam from 1/7/17 to the Nieuw Amsterdam on 12/4/16 due to the smoking policy change, we would have been flying in to FLL on the day it happened, probably landing about 50 min prior to the incident. Kudos to HAL for what they are doing.

It's stories like yours that give pause...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's a little harsh

I didn't take it that way at all, she just gave us a reminder about insurance.

Absolutely not out of order at all. It was something of a gentle reminder of the need for insurance to cover the terrible, unforeseen events that can wreck lives and plans.