Escape to Jost Van Dyke

merknerk

Hi Everyone,

We will be sailing soon on Epic and booked Escape to Jost Van Dyke in Tortola. We will be on Rebel Yell and I was curious about getting to shore once we get there. I have seen in a few comments that some have had to swim in and I also see that it is a good excursion for non swimmers and have read a couple of comments of older folks and handicap doing this excursion and loved it. I also has read that the crew is very helpful on getting everyone in safely. I am not a strong swimmer but I am so excited to see this beautiful beach. Has anyone experienced any problems getting to shore ? I read the fine print that depending on conditions we would not be able to get close to the beach. Just curious. Would love to hear replies from anyone that has had the experience of this excursion.

We are also taking the Rebel Yell this time around and, from what I read, they go right to shore unless is too choppy then, like the other boats I have been on, the moor just off shore an you wade in ( hence the Soggy Dollar used to pay for your drinks :) ) I wouldn't worry, there is always help for those who cannot swim well. Your fellow cruisers will get you to shore. It's only a short ways. Have a great time!

We asked about this when we did the excursion last year. The crew member said that wording in the description is there just in case the Rebel Yell isn't available and another catamaran/boat is used. In that case, they might not be able to pull directly up to the shore.

The crew member said that his is not something that happens often, so I wouldn't concern yourself with it.

Like others said, we walked through water that was less than knee-deep (and I'm short!). This should not be an issue.

We've done this excursion and it was as others described. They beach it, drop a later in front and you get off. You will get wet but you don't really have to swim. This is a beautiful spot and worth the trip. I also tried to figure out how to get to White Bay on another Tortola stop and it's time consuming and expensive. This is an excursion that is worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We did this excursion last February and LOVED it. Just like everyone else said, the water was knee deep. I was wearing shorts, and they only got wet at the very bottom. The beach is gorgeous, the Rebel Yell crew is fantastic, and the Soggy Dollar Bar is the best. We had breakfast on the beach!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so jealou...I mean HAPPY for those who got to go on the Rebel Yell excursion. :p

I'm on the Escape right now and it was cancelled today because of forecasted rain and choppy seas. :(

Oh well, on the bright side NCL gave us a full refund..so we have some extra on board credit!

I would definitely book this excursion again in a heartbeat though! Maybe next year!!!

(Please ignore any typos. We just got back from the 80's dance party. It was like so radical!)

Out of all the places I have been while cruising, Jost Van Dyke is my favorite spot. So very beautiful and unspoiled. I have been twice and would jump to go again.

No real problem getting off the Rebel Yell as others have said. The crew will make sure you get safely onshore.

Best excursion ever! Enjoy!

Best excursion ever!!!!!! We are not cruise ship excursion people and this one is worth every penny.

Now if you really want to get away pack shoes you can walk over rocks with to cross the hill and go to a even better beach. Not flip flops but more like Keen sandals. Maybe people with better balance and stronger ankles can do flip flops but not me.

Here is a few tips. If you sit up by the captain you wont get wet going in or out. If you sit down front you will get wet going out and soaked thru and thru coming back. Want to get sprayed and soaked I recommend goggles sea water stings the eyes. Put your stuff up by the captain under the seats to protect it. No issue if you don't want to sit there. Water poof bags are not perfect and can fail. Ask our excursion mates who lost 2 iphones, camera and a kindle. They where sitting all the back against the hull and still got just as wet as if they had scuba back.

Here is a few tips. If you sit up by the captain you wont get wet going in or out. If you sit down front you will get wet going out and soaked thru and thru coming back. Want to get sprayed and soaked I recommend goggles sea water stings the eyes. Put your stuff up by the captain under the seats to protect it. No issue if you don't want to sit there. Water poof bags are not perfect and can fail. Ask our excursion mates who lost 2 iphones, camera and a kindle. They where sitting all the back against the hull and still got just as wet as if they had scuba back.

Just as an FYI, if waters are rough, you will get soaked if you sit up with the captain (at least on the way back). That's where our friend sat and she didn't have a dry spot on her body. Seas were very rough that day, and the captain was aiming for the swells and then ducking while everyone got soaked.

If you don't want to get wet, be one of the first people on the boat on the way back. People have figured out that sitting in front equals getting wet and the back will be more crowded on the way back.

Enjoy! This is the only ship excursion we've ever done and I keep checking our 2018 reservation to see when it is available for that sailing!

Thank you everyone for your replies !! Living in cold country I know the warm Caribbean waters are going to feel great !! 21 below zero here tonight so we are ready for a tropical vacation ! My husband and I are in our mid 60's and always ready to see a new sandy beach and warm weather.

Edited by merknerk

I was thinking of booking this excursion. I was wondering the same thing about swimming since I am not a swimmer.

Are there shaded spots to sit in both the catamaran and the beach? Hubby has skin cancer and cannot be in sun. Thank you!

I was thinking of booking this excursion. I was wondering the same thing about swimming since I am not a swimmer.

Are there shaded spots to sit in both the catamaran and the beach? Hubby has skin cancer and cannot be in sun. Thank you!

The rear of the catamaran is covered with a canopy or there are some seats inside. The soggy dollar bar has shaded seating and is right next to the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Everyone,

We will be sailing soon on Epic and booked Escape to Jost Van Dyke in Tortola. We will be on Rebel Yell and I was curious about getting to shore once we get there. I have seen in a few comments that some have had to swim in and I also see that it is a good excursion for non swimmers and have read a couple of comments of older folks and handicap doing this excursion and loved it. I also has read that the crew is very helpful on getting everyone in safely. I am not a strong swimmer but I am so excited to see this beautiful beach. Has anyone experienced any problems getting to shore ? I read the fine print that depending on conditions we would not be able to get close to the beach. Just curious. Would love to hear replies from anyone that has had the experience of this excursion.

We went to Jost on the Rebel last November in what may as well have been a typhoon. I am not kidding. The downpours were ridiculous. They still managed to get us close enough that we were only shin deep to shore. One thing I will say though is it is extremely soft sand so when you do get in the water, expect to sink a couple of inches. Lol But the crew is very, very helpful.

I'm so jealou...I mean HAPPY for those who got to go on the Rebel Yell excursion. :p

I'm on the Escape right now and it was cancelled today because of forecasted rain and choppy seas. :()

REALLY??.?.? Last November it was borderline stupid. Complete downpours. Everyone was asking if we were seriously still going in this storm and the answer was, "Oh yeah. We never cancel this one because it can be sunny over there." It was.....for about 7 minutes. Still had a blast at the bar but I wonder if our group's complaints got the policy changed. I mean, even the captain of the Rebel looked surprised it wasn't canceled. Lol Crazy.

Hi Everyone,

Hi Merkneck,

We were on this excursion on December 15th. As others have stated, the Rebel Yell will be able to pull right onto the beach.

The stairs that you go down (about 8 steps) are at a steeper incline, but you will be able to hold on as you go down the steps.

The Captain, Claudia, and her crew (BK and Charlotte) are extremely helpful and will assist any passengers with mobility issues.

My wife and I travelled with her parents (ages 78 and 68) and my father-in-law walks with a cane due to a replaced knee. The crew bent over backwards to assist him onto and off of the 'Rebel Yell' .

The 'Rebel Yell' will pull onto the beach about 25-50 yards from the Soggy Dollar bar area, and the Soggy Dollar has free chairs (wooden Adirondack style or lower to the ground type chairs) for your use.

Our excursion (10 am) arrived @ 10:45 am and the beach area was not crowded at all.

The Soggy Dollar has updated the restrooms and there is lunch available if you are so inclined.

There are other beach bars that you can walk to down the beach a bit. I am not sure if the other beach bars charge for chairs or not.

It is a beautiful beach and an easy walk in or out, no real significant drop offs like some other beaches in the Caribbean.

As far as the ride to JVD, if you sit in the back of the 'Rebel Yell' you will not get splashed at all.

On the way back from JVD, the crew offers rum punch or water for free. You can purchase soda/beers if you desire. If you enjoy a cocktail, the rum punch is very good.

This was our second time to JVD, and on any future eastern or southern Caribbean cruises, we will only pick a cruise that visits Tortola in order to get to JVD.

If you do enjoy a cocktail, try one of the 'Killers' that they serve at the Soggy Dollar, the Pain Killer or the Nilla Killer come highly recommended. :)

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Hi Merkneck,

We were on this excursion on December 15th. As others have stated, the Rebel Yell will be able to pull right onto the beach.

The stairs that you go down (about 8 steps) are at a steeper incline, but you will be able to hold on as you go down the steps.

The Captain, Claudia, and her crew (BK and Charlotte) are extremely helpful and will assist any passengers with mobility issues.

My wife and I travelled with her parents (ages 78 and 68) and my father-in-law walks with a cane due to a replaced knee. The crew bent over backwards to assist him onto and off of the 'Rebel Yell' .

The 'Rebel Yell' will pull onto the beach about 25-50 yards from the Soggy Dollar bar area, and the Soggy Dollar has free chairs (wooden Adirondack style or lower to the ground type chairs) for your use.

Our excursion (10 am) arrived @ 10:45 am and the beach area was not crowded at all.

The Soggy Dollar has updated the restrooms and there is lunch available if you are so inclined.

There are other beach bars that you can walk to down the beach a bit. I am not sure if the other beach bars charge for chairs or not.

It is a beautiful beach and an easy walk in or out, no real significant drop offs like some other beaches in the Caribbean.

As far as the ride to JVD, if you sit in the back of the 'Rebel Yell' you will not get splashed at all.

On the way back from JVD, the crew offers rum punch or water for free. You can purchase soda/beers if you desire. If you enjoy a cocktail, the rum punch is very good.

This was our second time to JVD, and on any future eastern or southern Caribbean cruises, we will only pick a cruise that visits Tortola in order to get to JVD.

If you do enjoy a cocktail, try one of the 'Killers' that they serve at the Soggy Dollar, the Pain Killer or the Nilla Killer come highly recommended. :)

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Thank you. I was concerned about getting off but this helped so much. We are so excited and only hear very good things about this excursion. I hear the Pain Killer is not to be missed !! Thanks again !

Thank you. I was concerned about getting off but this helped so much. We are so excited and only hear very good things about this excursion. I hear the Pain Killer is not to be missed !! Thanks again !

I just went last week with the Gem. We walked down ladder like steps and 2 crew members helped you and were very patient. We walked in ankle high water! It drizzled for 2 minutes and then sunny all day.

Going back same thing. They were all very helpful. The rum punch flowed freely on the way home. And yes the people laying on the front nets got soaked!

It was the best tour we took.:D

We usually "roll our own" excursions, to avoid crowds, lines, and such. We took a cab right at 7 a.m. to the West End ferry port, $20 or so. We then got round trip tickets for I believe $25 each, and we not only arrived earlier than the Rebel yell folks by maybe an hour, we were able to leave later as well. MAXIMIZE your day I always say! I don't know what the cost for that excursion is but we spent $100 for the both of us.

We usually "roll our own" excursions, to avoid crowds, lines, and such. We took a cab right at 7 a.m. to the West End ferry port, $20 or so. We then got round trip tickets for I believe $25 each, and we not only arrived earlier than the Rebel yell folks by maybe an hour, we were able to leave later as well. MAXIMIZE your day I always say! I don't know what the cost for that excursion is but we spent $100 for the both of us.

But did you have unlimited rum punch on your way back to the ship? :D

After my Painkillers at Soggy Dollar, which started at 10 a.m.? And after a walk to Ivan's Stress Free for MORE drinks later, and the killer view? Let's just say that I reached my libation limit BEFORE 3 p.m.!

It was a fun day for sure! A great way to end the cruise :D