Cruising with a 22month old

N3wcru1s3rs

Hi,

We are looking at going on our first ever cruise on Carnival spirit, we will have a 5 year old and a 22month old, we understand that we can't take our youngest to the camp carnival but we have also been told we can't take her in ANY of the pools or water play areas cause she won't be toilet trained, even if she is wearing a swim nappy, is this rule strictly enforced or does it seem to be ignored? I have read conflicting information on this topic. My main question is, what else is there to do with a 22 month old that can't attend kids club and can't use the pools? Has anyone else travelled with children under 2 and found it not worth the money? Or does anyone know what other activities we can do with her? We called Carnival and they didn't seem to have many options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just took our 10 month old and 5 year old on the Carnival Breeze in December. We had a great time. We did the Dr Seuss activities, went to shows, mini golf, and did a lot of eating, dive in movies, and spent a lot of time exploring the ship and letting him walk around. The crew loved him and stopped us all the time to talk and play with him.

As for the pools we did not take our son in because I am a rule follower, however in the aft pool others took their little ones in. We did go into the water works area because he wasn't in a swim diaper and let him put his face and hands in the water. The problem with the swim diaper is it doesn't hold in liquid and if fecal matter ends up in the pool they shut it down. As a passenger who paid and new this rule before hand I found it very easy to follow. My husband and I just switched off pool duties with our 5 year old.

I think you would be a lot better off on a Royal Caribbean ship that has babysitting and a nursery for your youngest one. RCCL Freedom class, Oasis class and Quantum class all offer a better experience for children 6 months and up. Disney also offers more for young children, but costs considerably more.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Ok, please don't take this the wrong way... Breaking the pool rules is very insulting to fellow passengers, whether the staff notices or not. I would suggest that you possibly wait until your youngest is trained (as this is your first cruise), and then go and have a relaxing for all cruise.

Hi,

We are looking at going on our first ever cruise on Carnival spirit, we will have a 5 year old and a 22month old, we understand that we can't take our youngest to the camp carnival but we have also been told we can't take her in ANY of the pools or water play areas cause she won't be toilet trained, even if she is wearing a swim nappy, is this rule strictly enforced or does it seem to be ignored? I have read conflicting information on this topic. My main question is, what else is there to do with a 22 month old that can't attend kids club and can't use the pools? Has anyone else travelled with children under 2 and found it not worth the money? Or does anyone know what other activities we can do with her? We called Carnival and they didn't seem to have many options.

There is a Family Forum on cruise critic where you can get lots of ideas and help.

Also, the Carnival forum would be a place for your questions about Carnival.

Many suggest taking a small blow-up pool and using it for a toddler.

Please do not let your toddler, even in a swim diaper, use public pool.

Edited by NMLady

Please don't risk the health of your fellow passengers. I remember being annoyed having to remove my 7 year old from a children's pool (NCL Jewel) because of some toddlers in swim diapers who weren't supposed to be there. The rule comes from the CDC, not the cruise line.

The OP needs to understand that the pool rule (must be potty trained) is based on health concerns and requirements imposed by the CDC. We have been on one cruise where a parent refused to follow the rules and as a result, a pool had to be drained and cleaned....thus depriving everyone of using that pool during a hot day. 2 days later, the same parent against defied the rules...and the same pool had to again be drained. The following day, that couple and their two children were kicked off the ship (on a Caribbean Island)! Enough said.

Taking toddlers on a cruise is hard work, for the parents. Children are children no matter where they go....but on a ship you do not have the support or facilities that you have at home. Extended families (traveling with children) seem to do better on cruises because they have multiple care givers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

One needs to remember that the OP is in Brisbane, Australia, with limited choice of cruise lines/ships. And though ships based in the US have to obey CDC guidelines, we do not know what health dept. guidelines apply in OZ and how well they are enforced. EM

Hi,

The rule is enforced. It is for health reasons. Swim nappies don't do anything to protect the surrounding water from leaks.

Even if the swim diaper DOESN'T leak, if there is fecal matter IN the diaper, the water flows through it, and bacteria gets in the water. The ship pools are not large enough to handle that...and it can make folks, especially kids, (since they tend to ingest more water than adults do!), very ill.

Do not put a non-potty trained child in the pools! You can bring a blow up TUB, for splashing on deck (empty into a floor drain) and it's useful for bathing a baby in a shower!

Thank you all for your replies, I have a better understanding of why not to take toddlers in the pool even with a swim nappy. We are limited with cruise choices here in Australia for now but the options are increasing each year. I wasn't aware you can take a blow up pool so that is a great option. Thanks again for all of your advice it is greatly appreciated.

Even if the swim diaper DOESN'T leak, if there is fecal matter IN the diaper, the water flows through it, and bacteria gets in the water. The ship pools are not large enough to handle that...and it can make folks, especially kids, (since they tend to ingest more water than adults do!), very ill.

Do not put a non-potty trained child in the pools! You can bring a blow up TUB, for splashing on deck (empty into a floor drain) and it's useful for bathing a baby in a shower!

I love this idea! Wish I would have thought of this 20 years ago!

But, you will still have someone complain that it is in the way, takes up too much room etc...