Newbie from Celebrity

SusieV

Just off our first Oceania cruise on the Riveria (10 day). Not sure if it would be similar to the Insignia experience or not.

IMO

Ship gorgeous (they didn't spare any expense) and service fantastic!!

Food delicious-all meals! Celebrity Reflection lunch buffet food great dinner not so much. Very low key/quiet cruise. Most people reading/sleeping. Don't expect vacation music around pool---orchestra at sailaway. Public areas very quiet. Since you are in your 30's my opinion would be to definitely look elsewhere for a more lively, upbeat cruise experience. Our group was 59 to 66 and we were by far the minority. Our average age was even higher than the last poster mentioned. I think I saw one couple in their 30's and two teenagers. Like was written, maybe a 7 day might attract a younger group. During the day you can expect, shuffleboard, crochet tournaments, team trivia(inside),cooking class for a fee, margarita sample tasting for a fee. Sorry I can't remember the other things. Maybe someone else can add to this list.

From my one experience The Oceania line is top notch, but you might be hard pressed to find people your age to socialize with.

OK - I don't want to open a can of worms, but I will tell you I booked directly with O. I honestly don't know if that makes a difference.

I'll put in a good word for you with the angels... ;)

Yes - it does make a difference (about a 5% difference). Many TA's offer a 5% rebate on your cruise fare (plus on board credits for some itineraries). Most importantly, TA's work for you - not Oceania. They will be upfront about which suites not to book, etc. We would not book a cruise directly with Oceania.

In terms of the Prestige Alcohol Package, for us it is a no-brainer. A miniscule martini was $10 + 18% tax the last time we were onboard the Riviera. Therefore, if you have two drinks per day you have exceeded to $20 per day you would pay to upgrade to the Prestige package (which includes gratuity). In order to get what we consider a "normal" drink, we would order doubles. No - we did not drink more than we normally would but did not want to worry about costs. Oceania's choice of alcohol is extremely good (as good as on luxury cruise lines).

Hope that you have a great time on your cruise.

Just off our first Oceania cruise on the Riveria (10 day). Not sure if it would be similar to the Insignia experience or not.

IMO

Ship gorgeous (they didn't spare any expense) and service fantastic!!

Food delicious-all meals! Celebrity Reflection lunch buffet food great dinner not so much. Very low key/quiet cruise. Most people reading/sleeping. Don't expect vacation music around pool---orchestra at sailaway. Public areas very quiet. Since you are in your 30's my opinion would be to definitely look elsewhere for a more lively, upbeat cruise experience. Our group was 59 to 66 and we were by far the minority. Our average age was even higher than the last poster mentioned. I think I saw one couple in their 30's and two teenagers. Like was written, maybe a 7 day might attract a younger group. During the day you can expect, shuffleboard, crochet tournaments, team trivia(inside),cooking class for a fee, margarita sample tasting for a fee. Sorry I can't remember the other things. Maybe someone else can add to this list.

From my one experience The Oceania line is top notch, but you might be hard pressed to find people your age to socialize with.

Thanks for your comments! Honestly, passenger age isn't a big deal to us. I'm a bridge director and I've been playing since I was 11, so I'm used to spending much of my leisure time with people who are 40-70 years older than me. They make great conversationalists :) This is a 10 day cruise and it won't be an issue if we're the youngest. Maybe we'll be the only honeymooners! :)

I'm not into shuffleboard or croquet, but the other stuff sounds interesting. Does Oceania publish a daily itinerary like Celebrity does? If so, does anyone have a sample sea day to share?

Does Oceania publish a daily itinerary like Celebrity does? If so, does anyone have a sample sea day to share?

Of course they do it is called "CURRENTS" delivered nightly to your cabin

This is a sample from another poster from one of the smaller ships but it will give you an idea

http://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_dailies.htm

Edited by LHT28

thank you!

Hmm, that begs the question... it says sandals are not permitted in the dining room? I usually wear a sundress and high heeled sparkly sandals to the MDR for casual nights on Celebrity. Do I need to wear closed toe shoes on Oceania? I didn't even consider that since I thought the dress code was less formal.

Edited by SusieV

thank you!

Hmm, that begs the question... it says sandals are not permitted in the dining room? I usually wear a sundress and high heeled sparkly sandals to the MDR for casual nights on Celebrity. Do I need to wear closed toe shoes on Oceania? I didn't even consider that since I thought the dress code was less formal.

they mean no beach sandals for dinner venues except the Terrace

We are long time Celebrity cruisers. The only time we got an upgraded was on our first cruise with them. We are now going on our first O cruise next week and looking forward to the new experience. For some reason, X is strict on their dress code. Last cruise with them we saw the dining room turn away a young couple because he had on a shirt and tie, but no jacket, she was dressed up and looked allot nicer than most other passengers. I was so sorry to see this. Shame on X. As far as open toed shoes, they are the only kind I wear. If anyone tried to turn me away, I would not be a happy camper.

As far as disabled cabins goes, I have MD and could surely use one, but thankfully with the help of my DH, I can get by without one. Therefore, I have not booked a HC cabin as yet feeling there are allot more worse off then I and could not cruise without one. Any one who books a HC cabin simply for the larger space should be ashamed of them self.

We are long time Celebrity cruisers. The only time we got an upgraded was on our first cruise with them. We are now going on our first O cruise next week and looking forward to the new experience. For some reason, X is strict on their dress code. Last cruise with them we saw the dining room turn away a young couple because he had on a shirt and tie, but no jacket, she was dressed up and looked allot nicer than most other passengers. I was so sorry to see this. Shame on X.

well a good thing on O is your DH will not need a jacket or a tie EVER ;)

We are long time Celebrity cruisers. The only time we got an upgraded was on our first cruise with them. We are now going on our first O cruise next week and looking forward to the new experience. For some reason, X is strict on their dress code. Last cruise with them we saw the dining room turn away a young couple because he had on a shirt and tie, but no jacket, she was dressed up and looked allot nicer than most other passengers. I was so sorry to see this. Shame on X. As far as open toed shoes, they are the only kind I wear. If anyone tried to turn me away, I would not be a happy camper.

As far as disabled cabins goes, I have MD and could surely use one, but thankfully with the help of my DH, I can get by without one. Therefore, I have not booked a HC cabin as yet feeling there are allot more worse off then I and could not cruise without one. Any one who books a HC cabin simply for the larger space should be ashamed of them self.

When was the last time you cruised on Celebrity? They haven't had a formal dress code in at least a couple of years.

It has probably been 2 years since our last X cruise. Have been doing Royal lately just because of itineary, but I really don't like Royal for a number of reasons. Thus we are trying O next week. DH is planning on bringing a sport jacket, I'm not sure why, probably because were not flying so luggage space in not an issue. Will he "out of place" with a jacket?

It has probably been 2 years since our last X cruise. Have been doing Royal lately just because of itineary, but I really don't like Royal for a number of reasons. Thus we are trying O next week. DH is planning on bringing a sport jacket, I'm not sure why, probably because were not flying so luggage space in not an issue. Will he "out of place" with a jacket?

No, he won't be out of place. My husband always brings a jacket, and so do many other men. When the air conditioning is keeping the restaurants quite cool, a jacket is nice to have. (I also like how he looks in a jacket.:))

I usually wear a jacket in the specialty restaurants. My experience is that about 40% of men wear jackets in European cruises in the specialties and less in the Caribbean.

I have seen very few jackets in the Terrace Café and a small number in the MDR. He will not be out of place anywhere if he does not wear a jacket.. Enjoy your cruise.

When was the last time you cruised on Celebrity? They haven't had a formal dress code in at least a couple of years.

I was on Celebrity in April 2016 (Reflection) and they STILL HAD formal nights. All the other nights were casual chic.

Oceania is non-formal, but when you go to the specialty restaurants, they are so lovely, I think a jacket for a man is a nice touch. I, as a women, like to wear a dress to those restaurants. Oceania just has that kind of ambiance.

But overall, formal is not required on Oceania in any restaurant.

Happy Cruising!

I was on Celebrity in April 2016 (Reflection) and they STILL HAD formal nights. All the other nights were casual chic.

Oceania is non-formal, but when you go to the specialty restaurants, they are so lovely, I think a jacket for a man is a nice touch. I, as a women, like to wear a dress to those restaurants. Oceania just has that kind of ambiance.

But overall, formal is not required on Oceania in any restaurant.

Happy Cruising!

I actually liked the old style formal nights, but I don't mind a different style on a different line.

Glad to hear my dressy sandals are going to be OK.

argh, quoting tool is not working for me again.

Well said, Cathy Maneri. Men's jackets are absolutely not required and most men will not wear one but with such a nice ambience and nice company (DW ;)) sometimes I do like to wear one.

No one on O will judge if a jacket is worn or one is not. Pants, on the other hand are de rigueur