Voyager Auckland to Singapore, January 26 - February 20, 2017

WesW

Wow, we have been to NZ but had never known about that train trip. I am totally envious, as trains are one of our obsessions.

Bill - details for next time @ http://www.dunedinrailways.co.nz/

Wes - did you take the ships tour and catch the train at the dock - or did you opt for the shuttle into town and take the same trip from the lovely old train station (much cheaper and the same tracks). Either way the Taeri Gorge rail trip is a great shorex when in Dunedin coupled with a visit in the afternoon to Larnach's Castle

Great to hear you got into Fiordland - and no surprise if it was raining while there - the waterfalls are spectacular - and on a clear day the grandeur of the mountains rising from the water is impressive - either way you get a great view

Pingpong1, first, thanks for your cruise well wishes. Yes, when we find Masi on the wine list we splurge. Wonderful to be able to get Masi on board but can't get our liquor store Atlanta to order it (could be the price point). Look forward to getting a Summus toscana during our next La Veranda. And if my wife donates some of her SBC may splurge on our fav super tuscan. Sassicaia.

Newlondon/Bill, thanks for our cruise well wishes-- the train trip was the best we've taken so far.

Bodogbodog/Terry, we took the ship's excursion--wish I had known about the shuttle option--Dunedin's train station is beautiful almost reminded of being in the train station featured in Harry Potter films--they even had two ladies dressed in 19th century long dresses. Soone (about four hours from now 2p-7p) we should be enjoying the spectacular natural features of Milford Sound

Terry, your New Zealand is a breathtakingly beautiful country with warm/welcoming people and is the cleanest country we have yet to visit (our of internal discipline not external like Singapore). Ida and would put New Zealand in the top three countries we have visited in about 300 days at sea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

I'm very happy for you and all the passengers you got into Milford Sound, albeit a little envious. Could you post some pictures? We were on the previous cruise and the captain had to make the difficult decision to abort Milford Sound and head south away from huge storm. It was not received well at time of announcement but later I think everyone would have to say he did the only proper thing he could do. We experienced 70 knot winds ( so hurricane force by US standards) and 10 meter ( 32-33 foot) waves. It was quite the ride. It even busted 2 windows in the dining room. They handled that very well. We really liked our captain. I see he is still on board. Enjoy Australia soon.

Thanks rcandkc, sorry to hear about challenging weather on your cruise. We did hear about the windows and also how quickly the staff went to expediently repair before your next port. We can see the coast now (break water about 30 nautical miles on our starboard side). Will absolutely take and post some pictures.

Listened to our first enrichment lecture from Smithsonian lecturer Michael Scott, titled from New Zealand to Singapore. On both Silversea and Regent have not seen over 200 pax listening to a lecture before--Michael was passionate--very good.

Edited by WesW

Especially For rcandkc, could only get one download in 15 min. Will post more later hopefully. FDR told me today (after letting him know our only niggle with stunning new voyager was the sloooowww internet) that they have thrown everything at the wifi to speed up

3441562f40748c83aea87de6729b813c.jpg

Finding that 5:30 am is best time to post pix as could not post any photos yesterday from 3-10pm

Kcandrd, you're very welcome. We really feel fortunate to have enjoyed the Milford Sound's beauty with glorious weather to boot considering y'all's misfortune and missing this special cruise experience during you voyage last month.

Please enjoy a few more pictures of the spectacular beauty of the Milford sound.

In the afternoon we enjoyed an excellent indoor cycling class led by Carlos (Voyager's fitness director--best we've had on any ship). Pls see pix of ida below.6fe4c8aedff94e7556da0de743f77558.jpg0729bd0316db5b8e116bfa2d7a70e55b.jpgefac5b408ec21a0177bf453cccfb9efe.jpg3fcb3703334553e27db73ac65c406bb8.jpgba301fb85d67b77407f17daa1531e8cf.jpg897b70a1783090466fe4d1e9d9e6463a.jpg

Last nite we also enjoyed a wonderful evening with long time Regent friends David and Margaret. A few pictures of us below and our fabulous deserts. Interesting note, David and Margaret are long time Titantium cruisers who did a b2b on the Explorer this summer. David noted how perfect the Voyager is on a cruise like this where guests can go on deck 12 forward and be outside enjoying the stunning views of Milford sound. When we mentioned booking the Explorer--David said you will not be able to do this--there is no outside forward viewing space on the Explorer.

Edited by WesW

And a few more pix of the milford sound, our deserts from last nite (reward from our spin class) and David with the Voyagers excellent pastry chef92a548b7a304c2b7fcc8c5607695ab7b.jpg0484bb86de49463def62a4fd47f8fcaa.jpg67fc8bd2e2a05c5ce8e58b9a32af8250.jpga6a18a532da8ec99906cd13a0253ec9d.jpg1000759d5ead5c88fdc63cecca55b81c.jpg

Charles and Kelly two the entainers gave an outstanding cha cha dance class this morning. We learned a routine with five variations including the forward and backward New Yorker. Ida and I then rushed down to deck 4 to the wine tasting led by the Sommeliers. The photos below include Michael and Ida, and Allan the head sommelier on board the Voyager. Allan recommended the 2013 Tignanello vs. the 2013 Tenuta's Guidaberto Toscana for tonite's dinner in Sette Mari.

As I expected after half dozen tries can't download photos to accompany this post. Will post them Friday early morn unless they will take/post earlier.

Bodogbodog, Love the reason for your name!...Will now have to decide if journey from the middle of NH to beautiful NZ for a second time

Please excuse the digression off topic but here's the reason for my screen name - the adorable Bo

f614216b6690e6813d2458bddb04b959.jpg

Now for reasons to visit NZ I think Wes has posted a great advert for NZ and some of the ports but feel free to contact me if I can help with other suggestions to tempt you

NH is a lovely part of the US - my wife loved her leaf peepers tour in fall and the coveted bridges - we hope to return someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bodogbodog

Wes, David is absolutely correct about the lack of forward facing outdoor space on Explorer. Our Panama Canal transit last week was great...but....there were times when we really missed some particular features of our other two favourite ships and that was most certainly one of them.

I loved your photographs of Milford Sound, one of the world's great wild places. We are very fond of New Zealand and have been fortunate to visit several times (dh work amongst other things) Bill, I understand your thinking regarding the possibility of another visit, but are you finding Wes' photos as tempting as I am?!

Thanks for reinforcing the Explorer systemic glitch our friends mentioned Gil. And, happy you liked our Milford Sound photos--a pleasure to take. We are now considering the Navigator for Norway in August 2018 but it conflicts with our annual Italian Dolomite hiking trip every September...darn choices, choices.

Bill, concur with Gil, NZ definitely work a second look if itinerary is right. Have to give a shout out to pcglauda (sp)/Paula as we were considering Silversea this year for NZ. Paula's recommendation that the Regent itinerary was much better (incl Milford Sound) was prescient--thanks so much Paula!

We enjoyed dance class with entertainers Charles and Kelly learning five variations to the cha cha. Then headed to wine tasting. Enjoyed yoga this afternoon and then delish dinner in Sette mari, we paired our saltimbucca with a delish 2013 tignanello. We then headed to the Voyager lounge where Ida danced her heels off.

pls enjoy some pix925bf973c54dc81813bc5970183deac4.jpg06676216acf747cb30df03ba0ac17404.jpg8f0e296c04699cef8d597a5f7eea6d11.jpg48eed5a38ac9f83e0bfd77c6e83dfa71.jpg6514a8f81cc2196a7c08e377251fff64.jpg44fcc3d9684ced697b35aa76421fdc6e.jpg

Great seeing your smiling faces enjoying a wonderful cruise. Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I have always followed you on Silversea and times past on Regent. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of this wonderful world we live in and pictures of the wonderful crew !!!!! Dance on Ida !!!!

Please excuse the digression off topic but here's the reason for my screen name - the adorable Bo

f614216b6690e6813d2458bddb04b959.jpg

Now for reasons to visit NZ I think Wes has posted a great advert for NZ and some of the ports but feel free to contact me if I can help with other suggestions to tempt you

NH is a lovely part of the US - my wife loved her leaf peepers tour in fall and the coveted bridges - we hope to return someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love your wee dog, a real beauty!

Pam.

bodogbodog, Great pic, wish I had the tech skills to post our two Pembroke Corgis. Glad you enjoyed NH, we of course love the foliage season every year although this Oct. we will be on Voyager Venice to Rome through the eastern Med.

Wes, I love your pics! However the food ones are not fair:)

Finding that 5:30 am is best time to post pix as could not post any photos yesterday from 3-10pm

Kcandrd, you're very welcome. We really feel fortunate to have enjoyed the Milford Sound's beauty with glorious weather to boot considering y'all's misfortune and missing this special cruise experience during you voyage last month.

Please enjoy a few more pictures of the spectacular beauty of the Milford sound.

In the afternoon we enjoyed an excellent indoor cycling class led by Carlos (Voyager's fitness director--best we've had on any ship). Pls see pix of ida below.6fe4c8aedff94e7556da0de743f77558.jpg0729bd0316db5b8e116bfa2d7a70e55b.jpgefac5b408ec21a0177bf453cccfb9efe.jpg3fcb3703334553e27db73ac65c406bb8.jpgba301fb85d67b77407f17daa1531e8cf.jpg897b70a1783090466fe4d1e9d9e6463a.jpg

Last nite we also enjoyed a wonderful evening with long time Regent friends David and Margaret. A few pictures of us below and our fabulous deserts. Interesting note, David and Margaret are long time Titantium cruisers who did a b2b on the Explorer this summer. David noted how perfect the Voyager is on a cruise like this where guests can go on deck 12 forward and be outside enjoying the stunning views of Milford sound. When we mentioned booking the Explorer--David said you will not be able to do this--there is no outside forward viewing space on the Explorer.

A bit late to the party Wes but, wonderful pictures. Regarding the beautiful weather in Milford Sound., on our land tour we took a tour boat into the sound and it was raining and gorgeous as can be as the rain increased exponentially the number of waterfalls and and the amount of water coming down. It was virtually wall to wall waterfalls. Would highly recommend you pray for rain when visiting Milford Sound. Made taking pictures more difficult but, worth the bother.

Beginthebeguine, Pamela1, Newlondon, rallydave; thanks for the so gracious words--happy you are enjoying the photos. And bodogbodog/terry love your canine photo--a beauty. Alas, my ipad is now nearly a paperweight--due not only to slow internet but the touchscreen is 95% broke. So, Bill you will get your wish, most likely few food pix for a while--will try to find an apple store in Sydney (if anyone has a moment and can google apple store in sydney and send me an address/phone--thanks in advance.

Today is chock full of our Smithsonian lecturers (Terry Bishop, Michael Scott) disputing the penal history of Australia and the animals of the Tasman sea. Ida and have dance class at 2pm to work on our waltz.

Duct tape (Silversea's most frequent floater) told me Margaret our CD can sing (Margaret worked on SS for eight years. So, saw Margaret in the coffee corner yesterday and asked her if she would sing. She said yes, but on the next cruise. Since she is a Clemson Grad asked her (since few clemson grads can read :)) if she needed to borrow sheet music.

We are really blessed with wonderful weather--sunny again today and generally calm seas on this Tasman sea crossing. Ida and I are loving this New Zealand splendors voyage. WE filled out our Australian arrival cards today in prep for our arrival in Sydney tomorrow morning at 7a.m. If Ida loans me her ipad will try to take some pix as we near the pier and pass the Sydney Opera House