reminder to book flights with room to spare

eandj

I know many here, recommend arriving precruise a day in advance. Which we have done for decades. This year we watched in "real time" the results when things go wrong. Two weeks ago our nonstop (Milwaukee to Ft. Lauderdale) was cancelled due to the shooting at FLL. We spent the entire day and evening getting to Miami which included diverted flights to Washington DC, Fort Myers and a car rental drive from there to finally arrive at our downtown Miami hotel. However we DID arrive the day before cruising. There were others rescheduling flights to attempt getting to the port that very day. :o Two novice cruisers were left in a panic in Milwaukee. I helped them book a flight to Tampa where they then we're going to need to drive. I'm not sure they made it. They were in shock.

As I write this we are now, post cruise, sitting in a hotel in Greenville, SC where we spent the night after having our flight delayed from FLL and running into the awful weather on the way home. We'll arrive home today exactly 29 hours later than expected. So... had we needed to be home yesterday as planned, we would be screwed. Luckily our pup is in good hands.

So...just know that , altho this trip for us was a rare event on BOTH ends, things can happen.

BTW, anyone in FLL yesterday (Sunday) can attest that it was a horror..putting it nicely.:eek:

Our Eclipse cruise was great. Whew.

Was there some reason FLL on Sunday was worse than normal? We fly in/out in four/five weeks and are curious if this is going to be the "new" normal or if weather or something else caused issues.

There was a lot of violent, tornadic weather in North Florida and Georgia.

Was there some reason FLL on Sunday was worse than normal? We fly in/out in four/five weeks and are curious if this is going to be the "new" normal or if weather or something else caused issues.

Weather was not goo across the Southeast all day yesterday, then it got worse in the NE and weather in South Florida was windy, but only bad late at night. So everything was a mess a long the east coast.

As for the OP, certainly is a lesson. As I live down here most of my cruise travels involve driving 40mins to Port Everglades or 5mins to Port Miami. But I have taken a few cruises in other places. Twice I arrived a day or two before, and once, when I was a kid and had no say in the matter, we arrived the day of a cruise leaving from Dover! Surprised my parents took that risk, flying an international flight arrive the morning we left.

Taking a cruise out of Southampton in May, and will be arriving the early morning the day before the ship leaves. Always a day before at the very least.

I used to have a TA who always booked flights that arrived the same day...once for a Meditteranean cruise we nearly missed the ship due to delays in the flight from Paris where we changed planes (it was in 1999 when Celebrity sailed out of Genoa), thanks to an Italian cab driver we just made it.

The second time we arrived with no hassle for another med cruise, but were tired from Jet lag and didn't really enjoy the first 2 days. Now I always arrive 1 - 2 days before and relax. We use that time to do some last minute shopping and to look around as well as relax.

I know some prefer to save $$$ and fly the same day, but there are too many risks and I would prefer not to stress about it.

Always go at least 2 days before, where I am flying from Canada and always have a few connections and weather to worry about.

This time I am flying in the night before so have really been watching the weather closely. Looks ok so I should be ok, but I wont book a flight again with just one night between flight and cruise.

As for flights home, I am not so worried if I am late for work, I am late for work.....ha

Same thing happened to us last year going to FLL (for our Celebrity Cruise.) On our flight from RDU to FLL, our connection in Atlanta was cancelled due to mechanical issues. Fortunately, Delta was bale to get another plane within a reasonable amount of time - and we were able to make our cruise.

On the return, there were bad winds on the East Coast and our flight was cancelled. We ended up getting a hotel room at a local Best Western and were re-booked the following day.

SH*t happens. Anyway, lesson learned and we are planning to arrive a day early for our next cruise.

Michael

How are you able to do that? I'm on Las Olas and I'm 20 minutes to PE and an hour to POM?

eandj, glad it worked out for you. What a mess!

Broward east to 441- south to 84 and head east to PE.

Same route to I-595 to I-95 South or Sunrise to the Turnpike and head south.

We always arrive at least one day before the cruise and if going to Europe, we go in minimum of two days before the cruise. Emergencies, cancellations and just plain old jet lag is the reason. We also try to book the first flight of the morning to give us the best chance of getting there as planned, even if there is a long delay.