Blue Kay, Tropicante, or Almaplena?

aim_for_the_sun

We were at a Blue Kay at the end of January. We paid $5 pp and was able to get a wood lounger, a free drink of our choice and a beautiful view of the beach and water. We found two loungers under a palm tree and dropped our stuff. We snorkeled for an hour and I saw yellow stingray, turtle, and lots of blue tang, banded butterfly, and parrot fish. We snorkeled about 60 yards away from the beach. The yellow stingray was close to the beach.

We walked along the Malecon a short distance north to the end where the lighthouse is located. Then walked back past Blue Kay to see what other properties looked like.

The beach area next to Blue Kay was packed and the water was filled with stones.

Further down (south) along the Malecon, as I call the next block or so, had a much more livelier atmosphere and saw several resorts here.

Next time we're in Costa Maya we're going to try another resort for food and drinks and just head back towards Blue Kay for snorkeling off the beach.

I think any of the resorts would be great for beach time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
I came across Almaplena today and put it at the top of my list. However, the one potential negative is you have to bring your own snorkel equipment. To decrease luggage load, is there a non-beach club place in port that rents equipment for the day? Any other suggestions?

We are going to Almaplena in a couple of weeks and their information to us states that they do have snorkel equipment for rent at $12.00 per person and they do recommend letting them know ahead of time for availability.

I have reviews with tons of pictures for both Almaplena and Blue Kay (in my signature line). They may help you out a little bit on what to expect them to look like. :)

Hi mitsugirly, your reviews are so helpful and I often look at them for direction of what we should do. Can I ask how you found the sand at Blue Kay compared with others? The water looks pure blue. Overall, what is your favourite beach in Costa Maya?

Hi mitsugirly, your reviews are so helpful and I often look at them for direction of what we should do. Can I ask how you found the sand at Blue Kay compared with others? The water looks pure blue. Overall, what is your favourite beach in Costa Maya?

The sand was nice and powdery soft to me. You can tell in the pictures how nice the sand is. The water was absolutely beautiful. My favorite beach in Costa Maya so far is Blue Kay. Second would be Almaplena (also with crystal clear blue water and a decent beach). :)

The sand was nice and powdery soft to me. You can tell in the pictures how nice the sand is. The water was absolutely beautiful. My favorite beach in Costa Maya so far is Blue Kay. Second would be Almaplena (also with crystal clear blue water and a decent beach). :)

Thank you. We went to Coki beach based on your pictures and it was absolutely beautiful. We loved it. Do am definitely marking Blue Jay for a simple but beautiful beach day. There are other places on our itinerary that offer all inclusive or extra slides and stuff.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Thank you. We went to Coki beach based on your pictures and it was absolutely beautiful. We loved it. Do am definitely marking Blue Jay for a simple but beautiful beach day. There are other places on our itinerary that offer all inclusive or extra slides and stuff.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

So glad you liked Coki and hopefully you'll enjoy Blue Kay like we did. :)

Thanks so much, that's helpful! I'm thinking we will narrow it down to Blue Kay or Tropicante. Sounds like both are good choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went to Tropicante a couple years ago and will be going again on April 26th. Chairs are free. The food is excellent, you can get a cheap beach massage and the beer is cold. It's run by an American guy named Steve who will take great care of you!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that Tropicante is the place to go....good food, cold beer, and great owner and staff...Steve, the owner, will be out visiting most of the day talking to guests and making you feel at home.......:)

Quick question.......when I go to the web page for Blue Kay it states it is $350.00 for a day pass. I am confused????

That is in pesos and is for a pass which includes more than just loungers but I haven't looked at the site recently and I don't think it includes all the extras that it used to. Maybe you can tell what is included from the website or you can PAYG.

I agree that Tropicante is the place to go....good food, cold beer, and great owner and staff...Steve, the owner, will be out visiting most of the day talking to guests and making you feel at home.......:)

How is the beach there? A lot of sea grass in that area? & is it an easy place to get to?

There is not much sea grass and it is very easy to get to..Just go outside the gate and take one of the taxi's waiting about 200 feet from the main gate on the left hand side as you leave and tell them you want to go to Tropicante. It is a 4 minute cab ride and it costs 2.00 per person and they will take you right to the street behind the main area. Walk down a little paved area and it will be there on your left..If someone tells you that they are no longer in business, this is not true. Sometimes other business's will say this to get you to go to their place, but they are not telling the truth...You will love steve and his staff...:)

We were researching costa maya and came across a video of Steve giving a tour of downtown! The fact that he was promoting other bars and businesses like his sold us on tropicante. I hope to meet him while we are there. He seems like a great guy and I've yet to see a bad review of his establishment

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Forums mobile app

There is not much sea grass and it is very easy to get to..Just go outside the gate and take one of the taxi's waiting about 200 feet from the main gate on the left hand side as you leave and tell them you want to go to Tropicante. It is a 4 minute cab ride and it costs 2.00 per person and they will take you right to the street behind the main area. Walk down a little paved area and it will be there on your left..If someone tells you that they are no longer in business, this is not true. Sometimes other business's will say this to get you to go to their place, but they are not telling the truth...You will love steve and his staff...:)

About how far of a walk is it from the place where the taxi lets you off? Sometimes I have to use a cane so I'm concerned about a long walk. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
We were at a Blue Kay at the end of January. We paid $5 pp and was able to get a wood lounger, a free drink of our choice and a beautiful view of the beach and water. We found two loungers under a palm tree and dropped our stuff. We snorkeled for an hour and I saw yellow stingray, turtle, and lots of blue tang, banded butterfly, and parrot fish. We snorkeled about 60 yards away from the beach. The yellow stingray was close to the beach.

We walked along the Malecon a short distance north to the end where the lighthouse is located. Then walked back past Blue Kay to see what other properties looked like.

The beach area next to Blue Kay was packed and the water was filled with stones.

Further down (south) along the Malecon, as I call the next block or so, had a much more livelier atmosphere and saw several resorts here.

Next time we're in Costa Maya we're going to try another resort for food and drinks and just head back towards Blue Kay for snorkeling off the beach.

I think any of the resorts would be great for beach time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really considering the PAYG at Blue Kay next month vs staying at the pool in the port. Nervous about 8 ladies going by ourselves, our guys have other plans for the day. Don't want to have to haggle over prices. We wondered if the water is filtered and as safe as in port.

Really considering the PAYG at Blue Kay next month vs staying at the pool in the port. Nervous about 8 ladies going by ourselves, our guys have other plans for the day. Don't want to have to haggle over prices. We wondered if the water is filtered and as safe as in port.

This is one place that I would really not be too worried about going from the cruise port to Blue Kay...even if I went by myself. It's maybe 5-7 minutes away from the port, you can see the ship right there from the beach and it's a beautiful way to spend the day in Costa Maya. Going outside the port is not the same (here) as going outside the port at...for instance Jamaica or Belize or any other place. People are bombarding you trying to sell a bunch of stuff or in your face. It's a very laid back place...which makes it so wonderful to me. :D

Sorry another dumb question...I was reading Tropicante's website...am I reading this right the loungers are free? All we have to do is pay to get to the beach and they will hold 2 loungers for us for up to 2 hours after ship arrival for free and when we get there we still pay nothing as I saw no price for lounger rental?

Seems cheaper than Blue Kay...but how does the atmosphere compare. We want a nice quiet beach...does Tropicante play music on the beach or party atmosphere?

You are correct about the free loungers at Tropicante...all they ask is that you buy something to drink or eat and their prices are more than reasonable..an example is that a bucket of 6, 12oz beers is $15.00 and that works out to be $2.50 a beer..You can also just buy one beer, and all their food is great and reasonable. We have been going there for about 6 years and the staff is fantastic. Steve, the owner is an american from Texas and he will be out visiting with everyone who is there. Can't go wrong with Tropicante.:D

How is the atmosphere? We are looking for nice, gorgeous and quite beach. We don't need music playing and parting. We are torn between Blue Kay and Tropicante. Blue Kay looked a bit more spaced out and almost secluded which we liked. Also the water area looked free of seaweed and not a lot of rocks...google earth showed the beach area a bit smaller and the water seemed to be filled with more sea grass down by Tropicante if I was looking at the right area....believe it is located a bit down from Blue Kay...next to Tequila Beach?

The beach area at Tropicante is quiet and very relaxing..and yes it is down from Blue Kay..water is fine, but most beaches have some sea grass, but water is clear and beautiful...I don't think you would be disappointed with Tropicante. We always take a plastic chair from one of the tables and sit in the water with it....or you can take one of the loungers as well....:D

• 3 months later...
I have reviews with tons of pictures for both Almaplena and Blue Kay (in my signature line). They may help you out a little bit on what to expect them to look like. :)

Mitsugirly.... how do I see your pictures of Almaplena?? We have a 4 year old would this be a good place???

Thanks!

Mitsugirly.... how do I see your pictures of Almaplena?? We have a 4 year old would this be a good place???

Thanks!

In my signature line, expand, go to Costa Maya and over to Almaplena and click on it. It will go directly to the page with my review, which contains the pictures. You may need to scroll down until that section starts.

Well, it's a beach with the ocean. Nothing much for a young child to do except play in the sand and water, so that would depend on your child. Ours has always loved the water, so it was good for her, but children are different.