Need information FAST

alexmom

I'm sailing on Getaway February 5th and I was thinking of crossing "walking the plank" off my bucket list. I just looked at images on Google and it shows SKINNY people ! I'm short and carry my weight smack dab in the MIDDLE ! Are there going to be any harnesses that will fit me for the ropes course ??

It's kind of an important thing to me, I ditched my family and bought myself this cruise for my birthday. I'm turning 64 and in complete denial ! I'm even hostessing the Pub crawl on our role call ! I just don't see how I'm going to survive this mid-life crisis if I can't do every stupid, crazy fun thing i have planned.

Please help if you can !

thank you,

Kristine

FYI, I do fit in an airline seat without an extender ! (just saying)

I saw people of all shapes and sizes on it...including me. The harnesses had a lot of room and were adjustable and there were various sizes of them to start with. For me it was not whether the harness fit that was the concern, they fit on everyone I saw, just fine. My only concern before during or after was the realization once I got up there that I needed to get down as fast as I could :D

the harness should be fine:)

I'm sailing on Getaway February 5th and I was thinking of crossing "walking the plank" off my bucket list. I just looked at images on Google and it shows SKINNY people ! I'm short and carry my weight smack dab in the MIDDLE ! Are there going to be any harnesses that will fit me for the ropes course ??

It's kind of an important thing to me, I ditched my family and bought myself this cruise for my birthday. I'm turning 64 and in complete denial ! I'm even hostessing the Pub crawl on our role call ! I just don't see how I'm going to survive this mid-life crisis if I can't do every stupid, crazy fun thing i have planned.

Please help if you can !

thank you,

Kristine

FYI, I do fit in an airline seat without an extender ! (just saying)

You should be good to go...here is the requirements or restrictions for the Rope Course and water slides!!! Hope you have an amazing trip for your birthday!!!

Norwegian Breakaway / Norwegian Getaway

Ropes Course: Must be 48" (122cm) or taller to be on the course without a chaperone. Max weight is 300 lbs (136kgs) Skytykes (child's course) available for under 48" (122cm) as long as chaperone is present. Max weight is 300 lbs (136kgs). Enclosed footwear is required (such as sneakers) – no flip flops or sandals are permitted on the ropes course.

Waterslides: Free Fall - Must be 48" (122cm) or taller and weigh at least 99lbs (45kgs) but no more than 300lbs (136kgs). No jewelry of any kind may be worn on the slide. Whip Waterslides - Must be to be at least 48" (122cm). Family slide - Must be at least 42" (106cm).

Bungee: No minimum height but guests must be over 30lbs (14kgs) but under 250lbs (113kgs) and must be able to bounce unassisted.

Spiderweb: Minimum height is 42" (106cm) guests must be over 30lbs (14kgs) but under 250lbs (113kgs)

I'm fat (over 200lbs) and 5'7" and did it. I will say there are parts of the course that suck to pull your fat ass along, and they won't let you just do the plank or zip line. So be prepared for a workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Pappion

IIrc, the harnesses come in different sizes and the guys who help you in them kind of size you up for the best fit. You step into the harness and there is lots and lots of room, and then they tighten it up around you.

I also saw many people of varying shapes and sizes on the course.

You should be good to go...here is the requirements or restrictions for the Rope Course and water slides!!! Hope you have an amazing trip for your birthday!!!

Ropes Course: Must be 48" (122cm) or taller to be on the course without a chaperone. Max weight is 300 lbs (136kgs) Skytykes (child's course) available for under 48" (122cm) as long as chaperone is present. Max weight is 300 lbs (136kgs). Enclosed footwear is required (such as sneakers) – no flip flops or sandals are permitted on the ropes course.

Waterslides: Free Fall - Must be 48" (122cm) or taller and weigh at least 99lbs (45kgs) but no more than 300lbs (136kgs). No jewelry of any kind may be worn on the slide. Whip Waterslides - Must be to be at least 48" (122cm). Family slide - Must be at least 42" (106cm).

Bungee: No minimum height but guests must be over 30lbs (14kgs) but under 250lbs (113kgs) and must be able to bounce unassisted.

Spiderweb: Minimum height is 42" (106cm) guests must be over 30lbs (14kgs) but under 250lbs (113kgs)

What a relief ! I'm way under the maximum weight, even for the spiderweb, which I will have to look up to find out what it is. Heck, maybe Gramma should bungee too !!

thanks for the official stats ; )

Kristine

I saw people of all shapes and sizes on it...including me. The harnesses had a lot of room and were adjustable and there were various sizes of them to start with. For me it was not whether the harness fit that was the concern, they fit on everyone I saw, just fine. My only concern before during or after was the realization once I got up there that I needed to get down as fast as I could :D

the harness should be fine:)

I'm sure I'll have the same reaction, LOL, but the reality is it will probably take me longer than I want.

Thanks,

Kristine

I'm fat (over 200lbs) and 5'7" and did it. I will say there are parts of the course that suck to pull your fat ass along, and they won't let you just do the plank or zip line. So be prepared for a workout.

Thanks, I knew it was going to tough for me but I really want to do it. I'll find a slow time so I don't inconvenience other younger, fitter climbers ; )

And good for you for strapping on that harness instead of a lounge chair.

And any tips would be appreciated. I'd really hate to make it on the CC News feed!!

Thanks, Kristine

IIrc, the harnesses come in different sizes and the guys who help you in them kind of size you up for the best fit. You step into the harness and there is lots and lots of room, and then they tighten it up around you.

I also saw many people of varying shapes and sizes on the course.

Thanks for not mocking me, I'll bet the harness crew will be telling tales in the crew quarters though. I'll try not to embarrass myself too much.

Thanks for helping so quickly,

Kristine

Thanks for not mocking me, I'll bet the harness crew will be telling tales in the crew quarters though. I'll try not to embarrass myself too much.

Thanks for helping so quickly,

Kristine

i win for embarrassing, you have nothing to worry about.

in october i tried on BA and got up to the top of the steps, they took pic of me and gf, gf went on the course and i took one step and said hell no. i walked down , took breath, then went back up.

hell no..too high

i blamed the moving ship

went in december for the sole purpose of going on the course (JK)

in port tried the course and i had 2 8 yr olds with me. they went up and started crawling all over creation. i stepped on the beam

hell no

i went back down. talked to my friend and said i gotta do this

i went back up and took one step and said:

hell no, never again. i apparently have a great fear of heights. if anyone can help me overcome it id love to walk the plank someday.

so alexmom dont even worry about embarrassment, i already took the cake. 8 yr olds can do what i cannot. i hang my head in shame...:p

Well my daughter couldn't go on the bungee jump because she was too big, 58" and 89 pounds. They refused her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I tried to add a title so you would see this, luckyinpa, but this new format is i pretty sucky !

Everyone is worried that this will happen to me too ! I have been terrified of heights since I was 10 and some chuckle head adult pushed me off an Olympic diving platform when I was visiting relatives in NY. I actually don't remember the fall but I did spend maybe a little too much time in the bottom of the pool before they realized I was unconscious. I have been slowly working up to this by doing those flyover rides at MOA. You're not really way up in the air but you do get that perspective. Then I practiced sitting up and looking out the window as we crossed the Sunshine Skyway in St. Pete instead of laying down in the backseat, as I have on other FL trips. This December we went to St. Pete, and though it took several trips, by the 4th time over the bridge I DROVE !! Don't laugh, my husband was amazed. He never thought I could do it. It's not about not being afraid, it's about controlling the fear instead of the fear controlling you. Proceed slowly and control of the fear will come. I will never, however, let a tarantula into the palm of my hand. There's fear, and then there's revulsion.

Kristine

Edited by alexmom
add title

Kristine, no reason to worry or even give any time to what other people think. I think it's great you are doing it. Enjoy the cruise and Happy Birthday. We want pictures though when you return. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't promise that I will walk the plank, but I will climb that ropes course and I will have someone document it with my iPhone. If I don't walk the plank, it will be a wisdom judgement made about my ability to safely execute the move, not fear of doing it. I'm so done with being afraid.

thanks again ; )

Kristine

Thanks, I knew it was going to tough for me but I really want to do it. I'll find a slow time so I don't inconvenience other younger, fitter climbers ; )

And good for you for strapping on that harness instead of a lounge chair.

And any tips would be appreciated. I'd really hate to make it on the CC News feed!!

Thanks, Kristine

I take it you've never worn a harness before? I don't know the specifics of the walk the plank but have worn plenty of harnesses for rock climbing and rope courses. They are BIG. The weight limit will stop you long before harness size. It's basically just a series of long straps you tighten to make fit.

Just make sure you wear long shorts (at least knee length) or capris. They will wedgie up anything that fits around where the straps go on your legs.

getting a kick out of this... I recently turned 50. I'm not huge but not particularly fit and definitely not skinny. In the past I would have left this for the gymrat and teenaged people. But the big Bday has motivated me to go out of my comfort zone. So, I recently did the ropes course on both the Breakaway and Escape ... a couple words of advice!:

1)when you get up there, it seems really high. And the first obstacle is a balance beam thingy that looks right over the side of the ship. Panic! DONT do what I did, which is grip the rope desperately as I took little shuffle steps across. My shoulders and arms were sore for DAYS. Try to trust the harness and clips a bit more and actually balance/walk on the obstacles. I did that the 2nd time and much better.

2)don't look at the photos... trust me, the reason you see only skinny people on the google pics is because the rest of us don't share them. Just not a flattering look for the "average" American.

3)make sure to look around... if you only look at the beam or rope under your feet you will never have that "OMG I'm doing it!!" moment.

4)the zipline thingy on the Escape that goes in a curve OVER THE EDGE OF THE SHIP is the bomb. you literally have to run down a ramp OFF the edge of the ship and trust the equipment to bring you back. (I know you are Getaway but one day.... ) Looking back I still can't believe I did it :)

Kristine, no reason to worry or even give any time to what other people think.

I think it's great you are doing it. Enjoy the cruise and Happy Birthday.

We want pictures though when you return. ;)

At age 65, I was one of the first pax on the Breakaway's Inaugural TransAtlanic Cruise to do the Plank. Article.Active8V2.jpg

If I can do it, so can you!

No one has died yet! :eek::p

Edited by $hip$hape

Hi everyone. I will turn 69 tomorrow and will be on the getaway with Kristine. I also have a fear of heights, but have been marking things off of my bucket list as well, zipped lined on another ship 3 years ago and in Sept. 2016 zipped lined across the ocean in Hati. The course is the longest in the world Over Water. Bought a go pro before we went and have an awesome video of this. It was fun! I plan on taking the go pro on this cruise this Sunday as well.

Diane

1)when you get up there, it seems really high. And the first obstacle is a balance beam thingy that looks right over the side of the ship. Panic! DONT do what I did, which is grip the rope desperately as I took little shuffle steps across. My shoulders and arms were sore for DAYS. Try to trust the harness and clips a bit more and actually balance/walk on the obstacles. I did that the 2nd time and much better.

it :)

The best advice I can give to someone doing a ropes course or rock climbing for the first time who is nervous about the harness is - fall off. Preferably on an obstacle that's easy enough to climb back on to. If you have a belay-er give them a heads up that you are doing it. But once you KNOW the harness will support you and what it feels like to fall, you can stop stressing it. The harness and ropes WILL hold.

i win for embarrassing, you have nothing to worry about.

in october i tried on BA and got up to the top of the steps, they took pic of me and gf, gf went on the course and i took one step and said hell no. i walked down , took breath, then went back up.

hell no..too high

i blamed the moving ship

went in december for the sole purpose of going on the course (JK)

in port tried the course and i had 2 8 yr olds with me. they went up and started crawling all over creation. i stepped on the beam

hell no

i went back down. talked to my friend and said i gotta do this

i went back up and took one step and said:

hell no, never again. i apparently have a great fear of heights. if anyone can help me overcome it id love to walk the plank someday.

so alexmom dont even worry about embarrassment, i already took the cake. 8 yr olds can do what i cannot. i hang my head in shame...:p

LOL! The same thing happened to me on the Getaway. Forget the plank I couldn't do any part of the ropes course. Once I got to the top, I froze and there were kids all over trying to get by. My husband kept yelling at me to move and calling me a chicken. I got down immediately, never tried again!!

Loved it on the Getaway and I am an XL 56 year old. Tried it last year on the Breakaway with my teen nieces but it was so windy and rocky at sea and the zip line and plank were closed as a result.

Do it! You will love it! Buy the photo.

LOL! The same thing happened to me on the Getaway. Forget the plank I couldn't do any part of the ropes course. Once I got to the top, I froze and there were kids all over trying to get by. My husband kept yelling at me to move and calling me a chicken. I got down immediately, never tried again!!

did you think about trying the course under the steps?:D

I take it you've never worn a harness before? I don't know the specifics of the walk the plank but have worn plenty of harnesses for rock climbing and rope courses. They are BIG. The weight limit will stop you long before harness size. It's basically just a series of long straps you tighten to make fit.

Just make sure you wear long shorts (at least knee length) or capris. They will wedgie up anything that fits around where the straps go on your legs.

I don't think I'm as afraid of falling as I am of not being able to maneuver myself back up on the beam ! I do trust the harness, especially after learning the weight limits. It will be the first time I've been a harness though.

Kristine