Early Saver & Price Drop

myboyzcruz2017

Since I'm not familiar with the process of submitting a price protection form, here is my question:

We originally booked a category 8B balcony, for $1076. We then paid $20 for an upgrade to a 8D category balcony. Now, there is a CarnivalDays Saver that dropped the price to $1056, that includes a 2 category upgrade included.

So, my brain tells me that we paid $1096 total for a cabin we could now get for $1056 - correct? So I submitted a form for the $40 difference (as an OBC).

Do they usually agree with my kind of logic, or will they deny it most likely?

$40 isn't much - but it's a few alcoholic beverages, and we like them :)

I agree with bury me at sea, if your receipts show the $1096 and it's now $1056 (w/category upgrade included) you are probably due a price drop. But just be aware that any promos that were associated with your original booking (OBC, reduced deposit) "may" be lost if you invoke the price protection guarantee.

Since I'm not familiar with the process of submitting a price protection form, here is my question:

We originally booked a category 8B balcony, for $1076. We then paid $20 for an upgrade to a 8D category balcony. Now, there is a CarnivalDays Saver that dropped the price to $1056, that includes a 2 category upgrade included.

So, my brain tells me that we paid $1096 total for a cabin we could now get for $1056 - correct? So I submitted a form for the $40 difference (as an OBC).

Do they usually agree with my kind of logic, or will they deny it most likely?

$40 isn't much - but it's a few alcoholic beverages, and we like them :)

Time will tell.

Yes, I booked early saver and my booking receipt shows the higher amount than the rate they have now.

Thanks for your answers - I've never done the price protection form so I just wanted to get some input (in case I wasn't thinking it out right). Just waiting to hear back from Carnival now!

As an alternative to submitting the form, I've had success calling Carnival as soon as I see the lower price and it is adjusted right away. The customer service rep then sends me an email with the updated price and noted OBC earned.

As an alternative to submitting the form, I've had success calling Carnival as soon as I see the lower price and it is adjusted right away. The customer service rep then sends me an email with the updated price and noted OBC earned.

I'm wishing I called instead, as they are still reviewing my claim - and it could take up to 7 days, ugh!

I submitted a price protection form on Thursday afternoon and received my denial this morning. I still clearly see where the price has drop but Carnival does not.

And that's what I'm afraid of as well. Have you tried calling their customer service directly and speaking with someone? What was their reasoning for the denial?

I did call and speak with a CSR before I submitted the form. She said that all the prices she was seeing were quite a bit more than what I paid. The price I am trying to match is on the Carnival website so I do not know why she could not see it. The denial says that one or more of the requirements has not been met. It does not give any other info than that.

I submitted a price protection form on Thursday afternoon and received my denial this morning. I still clearly see where the price has drop but Carnival does not.

And we see another reason to use a travel agent. Whenever I see a price drop, I call ours, and he takes care of it. (And he does not charge any fee for that plus lets me know if there is any change such as now I have to pay a larger deposit.)

There was a phone number on the denial so I just called and asked which requirement did I not meet. The person who answered the phone saw the lower price and granted the price drop. I lost my $50 onboard credit but I saved $94 so I was fine with that.

I'm glad to hear it worked out in your favor after all. Still waiting to hear on my end...good grief! How long can it actually take to review?!

I use this website's 'Price Drop' page to monitor my upcoming cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/price-drop/?order_type=drop&order_by=DESC&destination=133&sail_month=04-2017&departure=131&length=6-9&cruise_line=8&cabin_type=Balcony

and I see it has dropped today. But when I click through (it goes to Expedia) to the price it doesn't show the price drop price of $784 just the same old $829 price. Is there a bug in the Price Drop page?

If I go to carnival.com I do see the $784 price. It is a sort of 'guarantee balcony' - it doesn't let you select your cabin or apparently even see what it is.

Now our booking is actually an 8J extended balcony. Interestingly it is currently on Carnival.com at the exact price we paid for it about a month ago but since then the price appears to have gone up a little and then come back down to its original price.

I always do a mock booking. If there is a price drop I either book a "hold" so I get a booking number or I do a screen shot, then I make the call.

Unfortunately my cruise has only gone up in price, and there are no more comparable cabins to mine, so I'm stuck at where I am - which is ok - I'm very happy with the lido balcony I have at the price I got.

DENIED. Why? Because the requesting cruise rate is being offered in a lower category.

Ok - but - that's the category we originally purchased, prior to purchasing an upgrade.

But once you purchased the upgrade you have to match the category you are now in, not what you originally booked.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

But once you purchased the upgrade you have to match the category you are now in, not what you originally booked.

Yes - and I did not realize that (first time doing this).. the nice woman in customer service that I spoke to explained it all to me, so I understand now. But thank you for mentioning that!

In the meantime, the upsell phone call came last night - we could have a suite for $340 more. As much as I would have liked that, we are happy with the balcony and I can find a few better ways to spend that amount of money.