Running on the Princess Star

momto3gr8boys

Does anyone have any advice for running on the Star that does not include the treadmill? I see the Promenade deck doesn't wrap around without needing to go up and down a flight of stairs, which isn't the worst thing. I did a search and saw a jogging track around the basketball court, but it was dated 2008, and based on the picture I am thinking that is where they put the Sanctuary as I don't see anything on recent deck plans.

Is there anywhere else that this would work, or will I have to just deal and use the treadmill? I'll be in the first few weeks of marathon training, so if I miss a run or two it won't be the end of the world, but I'd rather not go all week.

Thanks!

So don't specifically remember running on the Star, but on other ships I have run on the deck above the Lido. you just have to get out there before all the sun worshipers make their appearance. I find that jogging tracks are very small, and are like a hamster on a wheel. They're almost as bad as a treadmill. If you are creative, you can find somewhere to run.

You can run on the promenade, but get out there very early. By 8am there are strollers and walkers, many walking side by side that will be going much slower than your marathon training pace. There are narrow no pass sections around the stern. To run around the bow, which is one deck up, you have to ascend and descend a two section staircase. In the evening and an in rough seas the bow section is closed. You might try the promenade deck during dinner time, it may not be crowded then.

Running around the Sun deck above the pool is possible, but again you have to be out really early in the morning. This would be a back and forth "U" circuit that weaves around wind barriers.

As a road runner for over 35 years I believe that the treadmill, while not my favorite, is the best option to keep up your fitness level while on the cruise. You can have single sessions or split sessions.

Edited by sknight

Does anyone have any advice for running on the Star that does not include the treadmill? I see the Promenade deck doesn't wrap around without needing to go up and down a flight of stairs, which isn't the worst thing....................

Thanks!

We noticed a lot of people jogging on the Promenade and then just cut thru the elevator lobby in front of the theater (there are doors to the inside/outside there) when they got near the front of the ship. It wasn't a straight thru shot, but, it seemed to work for those who didn't want to climb stairs.

I recently sailed the Star & briskly walked 6 miles on each of our 9 sea days around Promenade deck. The full circle walk (including the deck 8 forward section) required 2.5 laps per mile. I found the Promenade deck less crowded around midday when more passengers were attending activities or going to lunch. Also around dinner time it didn't appear to be crowded & had more joggers/runners.

Although I only saw a couple of joggers/runners & my brisk walk (4mph) was faster than most other passengers. I'd also see if most people walking slower than me were going a certain direction & would go the opposite direction to not have to approach them from behind.

'sknight' & 'ar1950' provided great information and on our cruise the forward upper deck 8 section was closed about half the time due to the weather conditions. Sometimes I crossed through the forward lobby & other times I reversed directions & used my pace to keep track on my distance.

I did a search and saw a jogging track around the basketball court, but it was dated 2008, and based on the picture I am thinking that is where they put the Sanctuary as I don't see anything on recent deck plans.

That is correct. The jogging track and basketball court on the Star Princess have been replaced by the Sanctuary. Edited by Jasperdo

Last time we were on the Star, I ran the promenade deck, but it was only feasible early in the morning. After that it got too crowded. I saw people trying to run later in the day, but I think they were being quite rude. There are a lot of slower people walking, some of them not all that steady on their feet. Pushing past was just not something I was willing to do. If I missed my early run, I had to be content with the gym.

Edited by RMMariner

I've ran on the upper deck and incorporated stairs. It's not ideal, but its actually a decent cross training excersize if you side step through the windbreaks - if there is a movie on you get an added bonus of watching at least part of a movie as you go. If the forward area on deck 15 is closed, ill usually run up to the entrance of the sancturary and loop back.

It is better than the promenade in my opinion.

<rant>

Please know that if you jog on deck that there are likely cabins below and that jogging on steel decks often sounds like drums or elephant stampedes to those cabins below and very disturbing to those who may be sleeping or watching tv or enjoying a private/quiet moment in their cabin. And don't give me no crap about "you're on a cruise, you should not be lounging about in your cabin ..."

</rant>

My wife is a runner and has usually used the promenade. The stairs don't phase her. She will do treadmill if she absolutely has to, but she really dislikes it. If you can run in the morning, you'll find the promenade is basically all yours. The stairs and the bow might be roped off due to weather or sailing conditions, so you have to do a loop back vs. going around in a circle.

<rant>

Please know that if you jog on deck that there are likely cabins below and that jogging on steel decks often sounds like drums or elephant stampedes to those cabins below and very disturbing to those who may be sleeping or watching tv or enjoying a private/quiet moment in their cabin. And don't give me no crap about "you're on a cruise, you should not be lounging about in your cabin ..."

</rant>

No worries. The above is just general information and not specific to the OP's question. There are no cabins below the promenade deck nor the sun deck, the two possible running locations on the Star Princess.