Cozumel: Enjoying the ship pool vs going to Nachi Cocom?

Dixie1337

You're doing a beach day and Dunn's River Falls already. Maybe you'd enjoy a ride downtown to walk around, shop for souvenirs, enjoy a Mexican lunch, etc.

Or get out in the morning and explore the pier area. It's a really short walk to the Carnival pier (make a right at the main road outside of the terminal), and even nicer over there. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the day at the ship pool.

Is it a safe walk (as in... is there a sidewalk?)

After reading more my husband wanted to stay on the ship but get off to do lunch at Pancho's Backyard. I thought we'd have to take a cab but I'd rather walk if it's safe.

Everyone is pretty split on whether going to the beach is worth it so I think we will probably save the $$ and use the ship's pool, but get off and explore the area around the pier. I'm interested to see what the ship is like on port days too :)

Thanks for all your help!

Michael, I tend to agree with you. We stay on the ship sometimes too if we have already visited a particular Island or are "tired" of the Island (St. Thomas). BUT....they have never cruised before. To stay on the ship to get enjoyment out of the drink package is silly to me. They have plenty of time to take advantage of it. :)

I missed that it was their first cruise. I absolutely agree with this! Get off the ship! You will probably be addicted and go on many more cruises...plenty of time to stay on the ship then. Enjoy the ports now.

Nachi and Paradise Beach Club are both great choices! You could never compare sitting at a pool on a beautiful tropical beach to a pool on a cruise ship. I'd say get off the ship! Cabs are cheap and plentiful and both clubs have great service with reasonably priced food and drink.

I know people always say "they love an empty ship" but for the times I've stayed on the ship at certain tender ports, the ship never seemed "empty".

I have yet to stay on the ship in port, after several cruises. If I did, it would probably be St. Marteen or Belize. It would never be Cozumel though- I love that port and there is a lot to do. If nothing else, I would get off the ship and walk around in the port area. The beaches are nice and I know that Paradise beach has a pool too. There is something about Mexico that makes it more vacation-ey than the pool on the ship. But then again I love Cozumel. Its my favorite port.

Anywhere but Cozumel, one of our faves...The beach, the sea and the pool and they take care of you man....it won't be the same without Nachi, we've done both.

But hey, whatever floats your boat;)

Edited by BecciBoo

Is it a safe walk (as in... is there a sidewalk?)

After reading more my husband wanted to stay on the ship but get off to do lunch at Pancho's Backyard. I thought we'd have to take a cab but I'd rather walk if it's safe.

Everyone is pretty split on whether going to the beach is worth it so I think we will probably save the $$ and use the ship's pool, but get off and explore the area around the pier. I'm interested to see what the ship is like on port days too :)

Thanks for all your help!

Walk is safe but too long for Pancho's , taxi is less than 10 , there are some restaurants and shops right next too pier, Senior Frogs and several others along with lots of little gift shops

Walk is safe but too long for Pancho's , taxi is less than 10 , there are some restaurants and shops right next too pier, Senior Frogs and several others along with lots of little gift shops

One last question! do the cabs take american dollars?

Cozumel is by far the best stop on the Western cruise. Don't skip it. IF anything just get off and go have lunch and shop for some souvenirs. the town is all along the beach and the water is beautiful. The people are friendly too.

if you want to stay on ship maybe do Labadee for a short while and get back on ship and enjoy the pools

We were in Cozumel last April on the Oasis. Loved it!

We did the non-RCI Jeep tour. You can find details here on CC or on TripAdvisor. It was a blast! The perfect way to see the island.

This time, on Allure 3/5/17, we are chilling and doing Nachi. Too many good reviews to not give it a try & Coz is too nice a port to stay onboard.

We also have the drink package and not the least bit worried that we will not get our monies worth that day. :)

Edited by kevnick0814

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sailing the Oasis In late April to the western side. Our last cruise was on Adventure going the eastern route. After reading these posts it seems that the beaches on the western route are crap compared to St./Maarten/lucia/barbados.

I was planning on getting a bungalow in haiti but is it going to be a waste of time?

We were in Cozumel last April on the Oasis. Loved it!

We did the non-RCI Jeep tour. You can find details here on CC or on TripAdvisor. It was a blast! The perfect way to see the island.

This time, on Allure 3/5/17, we are chilling and doing Nachi. Too many good reviews to not give it a try & Coz is too nice a port to stay onboard.

We also have the drink package and not the least bit worried that we will not get our monies worth that day. :)

We have been going to Cozumel for over 20 years. We used to do week long dive trips, so we know the island well. There is nothing wrong with a beach day, and there are several options like Nochi and Paradise Beach. It's also interesting to just check out downtown for an hour or two. I agree with Kenvick, that the Jeep tour was fun. We took one that went across the island and then South to the lighthouse. After that, there was snorkeling near the Southern point. This is rather remote and sees far fewer tourists, so we found that the corals were in the best condition we have seen in Cozumel. Whatever you choose - you will be on vacation, so you can't lose!!!

I would skip the beach day at Labadee and enjoy the pool that day. The food is not as good on Labadee as NC. Plus the water access in many parts of Labadee is not as good and the beach is so crowded there. We prefer NC, Plus drinks are included in NC. I thought I had read the RCCL is not accepting alcohol beverage package on their private islands. Also if you like a massage it is cheaper at NC then port day specials onboard the ship. The pool is never crowded at NC plus the water is so pretty.

I would skip the beach day at Labadee and enjoy the pool that day. The food is not as good on Labadee as NC. Plus the water access in many parts of Labadee is not as good and the beach is so crowded there. We prefer NC, Plus drinks are included in NC. I thought I had read the RCCL is not accepting alcohol beverage package on their private islands. Also if you like a massage it is cheaper at NC then port day specials onboard the ship. The pool is never crowded at NC plus the water is so pretty.

I agree with most of what you just said except the part about the alcohol beverage package unless they just changed it since December when we were just there and a member of our party and the package and was drinking Labadoozies all day with the package.

Bill

Enjoy Labadee...your beverage package works there. Go to Nachi - it's an AMAZING beach and so relaxing. SKIP Jamaica...or get off the ship for a while and get right back on. Dunn's River Falls is great but may not be what you want to do all day. If I had to choose, I'd choose getting off the ship on Labadee and Cozumel.

Enjoy Labadee...your beverage package works there. Go to Nachi - it's an AMAZING beach and so relaxing. SKIP Jamaica...or get off the ship for a while and get right back on. Dunn's River Falls is great but may not be what you want to do all day. If I had to choose, I'd choose getting off the ship on Labadee and Cozumel.

It will cost you $100 for your day at Nachi including taxi stay on ship.

I was planning on getting a cabana at barefoot beach on labadee. Is that a good plan?

Then my gf wants to go snorkeling in cozumel. We went to cozumel on our 2nd cruise and did the dune buggie tour and then snorkeling. I don't remember snorkeling however so it must not have been great... Everyone says to go to Nachi so we will probably do that in cozumel...

As for jamaica, how long would it take to do the blue hole in jamaica

It will cost you $100 for your day at Nachi including taxi stay on ship.

It's actually $55pp for Nachi plus around $20 each way for the taxi. Well worth it.

In Falmouth it cost us $98pp plus $20 taxi each way to go to Royalton White Sands.

Again well worth it.

Didn't cost a dime to go to Labadee but out of the 3 we did I'd pick Labadee to stay on the ship.

We were discussing Labadee last night as we again next year and decided Labadee is going to be a wait and see port as to whether we get off or not.

Everybody is different so what is right for us won't be right for someone else. Whatever is chosen I am sure they will have a good time.

Bill

Hi Everyone! Some of you might find this a stupid question, but I've really been debating and haven't been able to decide, so I thought I'd put the question to people who have probably done it before!

I'm cruising on Oasis of the Seas on March 26. My husband and I are first time cruisers. We're having a beach day on Labadee, so I thought we'd have a pool day while the ship is in port at Cozumel (none of the other excursions caught my eye - if it matters we're doing Dunn's Falls River in Falmouth). I figured the ship would be pretty dead and we both purchased the Ultimate Drink Package so the beverages will be flowing ;) But I was googling excursions to make sure I wasn't selling myself short, and I saw a lot of people talking up Nachi Cocom. I'm curious what the draw of Nachi Cocom is vs the ship pool? Other than the obvious (it's a beach).

Help me make up my mind! :)

Thanks!

Go on YouTube. I have been to Mr Sanchos and loved it. This year trying nachi Cocom. These places are so much more then drinks.

I'd make Labadee the pool day and go to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.

Of all the private islands we've been to Labadee ranks near the bottom for us.

Bill

This is the best advice you will get. A two hour drive to be packed like sardines walking up a waterfall and then basically accosted to purchase items on your way out of the venue at Dunn's River. Be prepared....

Spend Falmouth on the ship and get into Nachi if there is still room. It often sells out far in advance.

I was planning on getting a cabana at barefoot beach on labadee. Is that a good plan?

Then my gf wants to go snorkeling in cozumel. We went to cozumel on our 2nd cruise and did the dune buggie tour and then snorkeling. I don't remember snorkeling however so it must not have been great... Everyone says to go to Nachi so we will probably do that in cozumel...

As for jamaica, how long would it take to do the blue hole in jamaica

We did the Blue Hole last year. Nice place, but would not recommend it if the experience you have is what we had. 2 hour drive each way. First 1 hour and 30 minutes is on a nice paved highway. Last 30 minutes is an insane climb up a rocky cliff on the van. Would have been acceptable but the drivers were so ignorant that nobody would give way when oncoming traffic came and we were almost pushed off the edge of the cliff. It would be a nice place with only 1 or 2 ships in, but remember that ships docking in Falmouth, Montego Bay, and Ocho Rios all go there. We had 7 ships in port in total and you had to wait 15 minutes at each of the 10 foot ledges you jump off. Wish we had stayed on the ship that time.

Go on YouTube. I have been to Mr Sanchos and loved it. This year trying nachi Cocom. These places are so much more then drinks.

We love Mr. Sanchos worth the money. In Falmouth go the Blue Hole it's an amazing place. Better than Dunn's River Falls. Is in Ocho Rios, not sure how long we will be in Jamaica but is worth the trip http://coolblueholeochorios.com/

Empty days on the ship are cool. Especially if you have the drink package. Personally we didn't enjoy Falmouth all that much but that's highly subjective. But we loved cozumel and actually wish we had more time in port. We were the second ship to leave. We did a day at Mr sanchos. Beautiful place with a great staff. $50 ea all inclusive with $18 cab ride. And they all take American currency. Our cruise had a stop in Grand camen and that's the port we chose to stay on ship for. Some people we met went to a beach and said everything was very expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk