Bottled Water Ripoff

Curtw

I really can't...if you want filtered water, go to the drink stations on each NCL ship. Quoting the water from the tap in your BATHROOM is a false equivalent.

Check out the pictures, especially the 4th one from: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37758563&postcount=20

Look at the Ice and water machine. Do you really think they installed such a big set up and it doesn't have further filtration, beyond the water coming from the tap in your bathroom, built up inside of it? Wow, fooled me! Bath tap equivalency! :rolleyes:

Well I guess NCL is as sick of this thread as many of us are. .. they heard and are lowering prices on bottled water.

http://partners.ncl.com/destroot/norwegian/files/download/pieces/50611/terms/WaterPackagePricingUpdate.html

Still pretty expensive in my books. I was not disappointed because water was 20-30% too high. I was upset because it was 5-6 times too high. I don't appreciate surprises, and the water price was a surprise to us. I have to wonder what the next surprise will be.

I think they are tongue-in-cheek asking me to choose a different cruise line, and I accept.

Haven't cruised NCL ever only RCL, celebrity, Azamara and princess. Can you tell me regular ncl cruisers. Do they not even supply water to your stateroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure they do! Via the shower. And the toilet (when it works)!!

NCL: Bottled water is not supplied unless you are willing to pay. If you purchase single bottles, one liter cost me $6.46 per bottle. We had the option to purchase a 12-pack of one liter bottles for around $45-50. We decided we did not need twelve, and purchased three single bottles during the cruise. On this same cruise a year earlier, this was not the case, "Surprise", hence the reason for my posts.

Carnival: We purchased a 12-pack of half liter bottles for $4.50. We considered this a fair price, and and even easier than carrying water onto the ship.

RCI: As far as I know, you can still carry water onto RCI. No idea water prices if purchased on board.

Edited by Curtw

Did you see the prices above? Or will you buy them by the singles and not even consider filled them up with filtered water from the ship?

Lion, I know you're speaking to me, but you gotta talk to my spouse! I drink ship water, no complaints. But when I tell my wife the ship water is as good as the bottled water, she tells me Old Milwaukee is as good as the beer in my hand. So I shut my mouth and buy her bottled water!!

Haven't cruised NCL ever only RCL, celebrity, Azamara and princess. Can you tell me regular ncl cruisers. Do they not even supply water to your stateroom?

Someone told me they will no longer bring a pitcher of water, but will supply ice, and that to get a pitcher of water you have to pay for room service ($7.95 fee most of the time). The ice the steward provides is made from filtered water that tastes like bottled water to me, so that's an option. The tap water is sanitized with a low level of chlorine but I don't like the taste.

NCL's water prices are so ridiculous because they don't include bottled water in the drink packages (or non-alcoholic specialty coffee).

They cut the prices recently (today?) by about a third, and have told some people that the new price will automatically be reflected on their bills when they cruise. I would double check it if you bought water and make sure.

We didn't have to leave the ship early, and saw the crew picking up all kinds of special stainless steel bottles left behind, possibly by kids.

I don't think without one exception seeing a person holding one of those huge bottles on the Escape

I think they had poor sales.

I have been reading this thread with great amusement, however this is the best yet, GOOD JOB CurtW:

"Lion, I know you're speaking to me, but you gotta talk to my spouse! I drink ship water, no complaints. But when I tell my wife the ship water is as good as the bottled water, she tells me Old Milwaukee is as good as the beer in my hand. So I shut my mouth and buy her bottled water!!"

I get a lot of laughs from a lot of these threads however I think that the above statement sums it best, To Each Their Own!

I think the thing that boggles my mind the most is how bottled water isn't included in the UBP, but a 15.00 cocktail is.

I thought that as well, but then realized that bottled water takes up a disproportionately bigger space per dollar than a $15 cocktail. On a ship where storage space is at a premium, I can understand the issue. (I don't like it, but I can understand it...LOL)

I think that may be part of the reasoning behind bottled water not being included as well as bottled water being so expensive.

When we were on Celebrity a couple of years ago, bottled water was included in the beverage plan, and they actually ran out of the non-premium water during the last couple days of the cruise, and ended up giving people the large bottles of Evian water.

They clearly weren't happy about that.

I thought that as well, but then realized that bottled water takes up a disproportionately bigger space per dollar than a $15 cocktail. On a ship where storage space is at a premium, I can understand the issue. (I don't like it, but I can understand it...LOL)

I think that may be part of the reasoning behind bottled water not being included as well as bottled water being so expensive.

When we were on Celebrity a couple of years ago, bottled water was included in the beverage plan, and they actually ran out of the non-premium water during the last couple days of the cruise, and ended up giving people the large bottles of Evian water.

They clearly weren't happy about that.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but RCI offers bottled water in their package as well as cans of redbull. Now, RCI rarely ever offers their beverage package as a perk, but that shouldn't matter. I would be pissed if I was paying NCL's 79.00pp pd for their package and have it not include absolutely everything.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but RCI offers bottled water in their package as well as cans of redbull. Now, RCI rarely ever offers their beverage package as a perk, but that shouldn't matter. I would be pissed if I was paying NCL's 79.00pp pd for their package and have it not include absolutely everything.

I cannot wait to sail on RCI, I'm planning my first cruise with them now!

I would bet that a very small percentage of people actually purchase the beverage package on RCI when it isn't given free as a perk. That would account for the lesser problem of offering bottled water as part of the package.

I am not sure how long Celebrity had been offering their beverage package as a perk when we cruised a couple of years ago, but I have a feeling it wasn't very well thought out since they ran out of bottled water for a couple of days (two days before the end of the cruise) on an early May Bermuda cruise (wasn't even very hot weather).

I would also be extremely upset if I paid $79 PLUS gratuities for a beverage package and then had to buy water and espresso, but then again I don't drink anywhere near enough to warrant buying it.

Edited by DinaS
typo

I would bet that a very small percentage of people actually purchase the beverage package on RCI when it isn't given free as a perk. That would account for the lesser problem of offering bottled water as part of the package.

I am not sure how long Celebrity had been offering their beverage package as a perk when we cruised a couple of years ago, but I have a feeling it wasn't very well thought out since they ran out of bottled water for a couple of days (two days before the end of the cruise) on an early May Bermuda cruise (wasn't even very hot weather).

I would also be extremely upset if I paid $79 PLUS gratuities for a beverage package and then had to buy water and espresso, but then again I don't drink anywhere near enough to warrant buying it.

Lots of people buy it on RCI. Its anywhere from 33.00-44pp per person per day, if you buy it in advance. I chose RCI Oasis over NCL Epic Caribbean itinerary because RCI Oasis was 800.00 cheaper, and used that savings to buy their package.

But I think that if NCL just doesn't want the free UBP holders to abuse the bottled water privilege, just cap it to a certain number of bottled waters a day, or have it to where the upcharge for UBP holders to get it is 2.00. 2.00 is a reasonable amount for bottled water, I believe that is what RCI was charging.

Wow! I didn't bother to read most on this thread, because there hasn't been a change in the situation for more than 6 months. Now many times do we need to hash over the same thing? No you can't bring water on board. Yes NCL charges a lot.

No doubt! But some of us aren't browsing the six month old topics on the site and maybe weren't browsing at all back then. I've seen several replies that confirm this is a current issue for many cruisers.

Considering that similarly priced cruise lines NCL, Carnival, and RCI are parallel choices for many, I suspect $6 bottled water will impact that choice for some. This influenced our next cruise choice. (Hint: Not NCL)

And thank you for confirming "Yes NCL charges a lot." To quantify "a lot", NCL, even with the lower prices announced recently, is more than TRIPLE the price on Carnival. (NCL = $27.95 per 12-pack of 1 liter, Carnival is $4.50 per 12-pack of half liter water. 2.32/l vs 0.75/l) Triple, IMO, qualifies as price gouging.

And thank you for confirming "Yes NCL charges a lot." To quantify "a lot", NCL, even with the lower prices announced recently, is more than TRIPLE the price on Carnival. (NCL = $27.95 per 12-pack of 1 liter, Carnival is $4.50 per 12-pack of half liter water. 2.32/l vs 0.75/l) Triple, IMO, qualifies as price gouging.

Folks have three choices; one is to purchase the water at NCL prices, two is to not purchase the water and three, if they feel Carnival's water is a better deal, sail on Carnival. I choose number two and don't buy it, thus it is not price gouging.

Folks have three choices; one is to purchase the water at NCL prices, two is to not purchase the water and three, if they feel Carnival's water is a better deal, sail on Carnival. I choose number two and don't buy it, thus it is not price gouging.

Option 4: Share your experience with others (this thread, for example) and hope your experience benefits others and maybe influences the cruise line.

I choose your option 3 and my option 4, although our next cruise is not Carnival, either...

If you buy something or not does not determine if it's price is being gouged.

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

Agreed, and thanks!

It is only price gouging if someone feels that the price is too high for them and they don't want to spend the money. Price gouging is subjective. I wouldn't pay $25,000 for a Birkin bag because I think the price is too high and not worth it, but others obviously feel that a Birkin bag is worth the price and the same goes for water on NCL. If someone feels the prices of water on NCL is too high for them, I would suggest that they not purchase it.

So, for some perspective, went to a hockey game recently (Go Bolts!). The water was about $7 a bottle and it was a smaller size. We got to Disney a lotand thereit is 2.50-3.50 and is also smaller size.

We pre-book water and spend 3-4 a bottle depending on how many we purchase. Its in our cabin ready for our vacation and on par or less than other entertainment venues.

Your on vacation, relax and don't sweat the small stuff.

At Disney you can bring your own water. A few years ago we came with a case that we bought at Costco for about $4.50. I think 35 bottles. On NCL you are a captive group and are forced to do what they want. I just saw that the price of water has been reduced about 35% or so. A good thing.

You didn't do your homework very well then if the cruise was a recent one. There have been a number of threads on here about the change in NCL policy about taking water on board.

The policy was in place when we cruised from Rome to Singapore at the end of last year and was rigorously enforced. We took bottles of water off the ship on every port day and had to tip them out before we re-boarded if we didn't want to lose the bottles.

Funny that carnival has a similar policy:-

"To increase safety on its cruise ships, cut alcohol smuggling and speed up embarkation, Carnival Cruise Lines will stop passengers from bringing bottled water, bottled soda and other bottled nonalcoholic drinks on board, effective July 9."

You can buy water in a carton now.

Still pretty expensive in my books. I was not disappointed because water was 20-30% too high. I was upset because it was 5-6 times too high. I don't appreciate surprises, and the water price was a surprise to us. I have to wonder what the next surprise will be.

I think they are tongue-in-cheek asking me to choose a different cruise line, and I accept.

Enjoyed a NCL Mediterranean cruise this summer at a very good price . I firmly believe it was so much cheaper then every other cruise option because people were fed up with nickle and diming as well as unethical last minute changes . So we book pretty much last minute . 4 weeks later , just before our cruise they installed their new carry-on drink policy . Was not pleased . Plus they added a final security check at the port adding an extra hour to embarkation as an extra insult .

So here's my take away . I might book a NCL cruise again if the price is LOW LOW LOW to compensate for last minute FU's . BTW , our cruise was quite good except for some corporate shenanigans concerning promised OBC .