Rain Jackets

yalesmom

This may seem like a silly question, but from what I've been reading, it looks like it's a smart idea to invest in rain jackets for this trip. It has been years since I've bought any rain gear. I'm just curious as what brand/style people prefer for this trip. (I do most of my shopping online. Thanks for helping with my research.)

Do a quick search on amazon for waterproof jackets. You'll find all the popular brands and the unknown varying from $12-$200.

If you're not going to wear it again, don't invest a bunch of money. A simple hooded waterproof jacket from Dri Ducks will do the trick at $15. It's not breathable but unless you're doing strenuous activities, it won't matter. Get an size larger so you can wear a sweater/fleece underneath for warmth.

Edited by mapleleaves

I bought a NorthFace Venture jacket for our Alaska cruise in 2014 and love it! We hiked all day in the rain in Juneau and the jacket (plus a pair of rain pants) kept me dry.

The jacket has an adjustable hood and velcro closure on the cuffs plus underarm zippers for ventilation. I bought the jacket a little larger than I needed which enabled me to wear it over a fleece jacket or also a down puffer jacket for warmth. The hood has a little bit of a "bill", but I also sometimes wear a ballcap under the hood to keep the rain off my face.

You could order this jacket online directly from Northface or from other outdoor stores such as REI, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. I was lucky enough to find it on clearance at the end of the season so got a pretty good deal on the price.

Here I am wearing the jacket when we toured San Francisco in the rain last year. (Having a bright color makes for better travel photos!!)

MhYfs1IOi9tUd0yiiIYaCvIFjCV50Z00JVOYgHnKiFNDZsmcpa7fHJQGvt7KIxxoy6CtqL4LQtLzBKZCDZG3oNBUPkJbSMMFTw4Lcr0ula7jO5t5Qr-KMDm6o6-HYijS4hiv7DO66VUF-HHlVuy338Pjy2c1514x0X3n4RfPgB1jZJXj7yUF2GA8T2TZrQlIPLp-X7m8kOY5uNImFdmzcJL0ed5FIBnd36nixsrZotpnk5FtZRXiIyOy_g2Oyqlu_esPTzsa6qzMFrhDcARPU7dZK6wthH6Efkj--jHLQ9IQoEOFMeMF4fYTaMi-mXj7litTE6jshBU2be3nXKBXkwESJ9TGZ-eJWELhM6x4-nVEquUTPCE87WkDMiGgyHBWNUuSAYK-ae7lNmOc4Ht2tsWyvjXIkdvQg9fUpmQrpTXUxm-rXW8YR3OeDl_-NXvDXGYdWbdqSHY_UI3UTVHLI-najdLdeQ8clHpUJzJidJCjP2fLXHtxJnJt278iOL5Ez24ZRquAgDQSQi0lfkthr66c1qeDxeOYCN9tQ1ww752pn8O6UWPuOCJgzf0XqjbuUXbpogUp0mWZk9mDgsbaG6NkKOfIZSqsdWdmohrgZ8mUGIMrYoitNDv-fJBhAgWBHIbG3uLaAiuMFAnp26hsaGtuvpyFRaHkou08PKyEr24=w350-h380-no

For Alaska 15 years ago we each got a mostly waterproof Columbia Spotswear jacket with zip out fleece liner. It can be worn three ways perfectly fitting the advice of layering. Shell only if warm/wet, fleece liner if dry and cool and both if cold and wet. Living in Minnesota at the time it became my "go to" jacket (with liner) down to 0°F and I still wear it now in rainy Seattle area. Planning to take them again to Alaska in June because they are in almost new condition after all these years.

For Alaska 15 years ago we each got a mostly waterproof Columbia Spotswear jacket with zip out fleece liner. It can be worn three ways perfectly fitting the advice of layering. Shell only if warm/wet, fleece liner if dry and cool and both if cold and wet. Living in Minnesota at the time it became my "go to" jacket (with liner) down to 0°F and I still wear it now in rainy Seattle area. Planning to take them again to Alaska in June because they are in almost new condition after all these years.

I second the Columbia 3-1 jacket but I also put a Frogg Toggs poncho in my camera backpack, if the rain becomes heavy. The poncho lets me keep my camera dry until I need to take a quick photograph.

Thoughts....

• @yalesmom what month are you sailing? May to July is the dryer months in Alaska. August statistically starts to get wet. September welcomes storm chasers.
  • just check the forecast a few days before the flight if you want to spend the money.
  • Love Goretex.... not cheap... especially if you are using it for a few days in port.
  • some ships provides ponchos. Some provide umbrellas.
  • cut three holes in garbage bag?
  • do you only want to stay dry? Some jackets come with insulation.
  • personally, I love my umbrella. Please don't bring a golf umbrella.

We are outside a lot in all kinds of weather so I picked up this rain jacket from Cabela’s http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1426499&destination=/catalog/browse/womens-rainwear/_/N-1102482/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_103914180 for rain pants I wear “Cabela's Women's Rain Stopper Pants with 4MOST REPEL” I wear this outfit a lot on our outings, it rains a lot here in the Pacific Northwest so you need to be prepared. My husband likes to wear Helly Hansen rain gear when he's out on the water.

I live on the edge of "high desert" in Wyoming, so when we get rain, we all run around in excitement. lol But I'm a Florida native so I understand rain. I just plan to pick up a foldable poncho at WM and take along an umbrella that is designed to clip to my mobility scooter. My most all-around-useful warm jacket is water-resistant (and we are cruising in May) so I expect I will be fine.

Looks like you are going in June - it will be one of the dryer months.

Wife and I purchased waterproof, breathable, packable rain jackets by Paradox from Costco - cost us right around $20 each

Edited by Herfnerd

A good website for purchasing a name brand discounted rain jacket is Sierra Trading Post. There's a great selection, all price points and sizes. The Marmot Precip jacket mentioned in a previous post works well for travel - folds up tiny, very lightweight, good features, breathable. (Sometimes Sierra stocks this jacket.)

Avoid low cost jackets with "coated" fabric. They don't breathe, meaning that your jacket will be as wet on the inside as on the outside.

Your jacket should have a hood that can be tightened comfortably if it is windy and rainy. Also consider sizing up so you can wear a fleece or other warm layer under your jacket.

June weather can be lovely, with moderate temperatures and sunshine, or be cool and rainy. The Alaskan and Canadian waters are cold all year round, so ocean breezes are cool.

I just bought a columbia brand rain jacket on Amazon for around 32.00- to replace my previous columbia brand rain jacket (in the hiking and outdoors dept) I had my previous one for at least 6-7 years..... but it breached (oh my) on our last vacation to Disneyland,where it was rainy and cold (40 degrees !!!) up till then it was perfect for rain, but felt like a windbreaker if no rain...so a great layer jacket that doubles as raingear is my pick. Most have a DWR(?) coating which makes them waterproof....

Wife and I purchased waterproof, breathable, packable rain jackets by Paradox from Costco - cost us right around $20 each

We purchased these as well (Jacket and pant set) . Absolutely LOVE them -- packable, comfortable and dry very quickly. We live in Northern California and have been getting a lot of heavy rain --- my Paradox has been getting a real workout.

• 2 weeks later...