California Cruising help

Ive been looking at sailings from Cali but always too scared to book. I dont know why but it just doesnt appeal to me like Caribeean cruising. We sailed one time from San Deigo and I did not mind it. What helped is I ahve family in SD so they put us up and played taxi for us. I can't put my finger on why I'm nervous. Maybe its the older ships? Trying something new? LA does intimidate me some. So please share experiences good or bad with me.

Where are you thinking of sailing from? Long Beach or Los Angeles? We sailed from Long Beach. There are buses out front that are free and will take you quite a few places. They will help you. So if you sail from Long Beach you can stay at the Queen Mary and tour the ship and be where the ship comes in at. Look at it as a new adventure for a place to visit.

Bet it's because it's out of your comfort zone. I've only been to the Caribbean twice (one B2B and one week onshore), all others have been West Coast- Alaska, Hawaii and Mexico.

Hated being in the Caribbean as it is WAY out of my comfort zone.

The short cruises are sailed on Fantasy Class ships. The longer ones are on the Miracle and soon the Splendor.

Princess also does similar itins, including a California Coastal that is really nice.

Plan an extra few days, if possible. Lots to see in the Greater LA area.

Check out the West Coast Departure, California Coastal and Mexican Riviera boards. Lots of good info on those three boards.

ps Us natives do not call it 'Cali' ;)

We're nearly walking distance to LA port (a long walk, but walkable) and haven't cruised out of LA since Splendor changed its home port. The idea of going on an older ship after being on Splendor (when she was spanking new) simply does not appeal to us...we've gotten spoiled with Cloud 9 and a few other more up to date features.

So we had to step outside OUR comfort zone and fly across the country to sail. We'd only done that once before. With the exception of the cost involved we've been happy stepping out.

But boy oh boy we cannot wait for a newer ship to come back.

I hear ya OP!

where are you flying from to get to LA or SD?

having lived in NY, and cruised from NY and living in CA for 25+ years, i found CA MUCH easier to cruise from than NY.

we're cruising two times out of Miami, 2017 and 2018, and it's much more work for me planning an east coast cruise than a west coast cruise. after having gone through all these hoops, both are appearing easy now.

i'm sure there's many west coasters here who can answer your questions and give guidance.

personally, LA is a super fun place with SO MUCH to explore and do either before or after a cruise. even SD is packed with many places to go/see/do.

the only bummer of west coast cruising are the limited destinations; Mex Riviera, Hawaii or Alaska.

east coast cruising appears to have more choices. not sure better, but more.

LA can be a little intimidating for a variety of reasons but Carnival sails out of the suburb of Long Beach which is safe, lovely, and walkable.

Parts of Long Beach are rough, but a tourist has no business being in those areas.

ps Us natives do not call it 'Cali' ;)

Maybe it's a Northern Cali thing because up here we do :D

To the OP- I prefer to sail out of the Caribbean only because there are more, and what I believe to be, better choices. But I will say sailing out of LA is very easy. Most the hotels in the area offer free shuttle service to/from the cruise terminals. If there is an itinerary you like then I say do it. Even the small older ships like the Imagination are a lot of fun.

Ive been looking at sailings from Cali but always too scared to book. I dont know why but it just doesnt appeal to me like Caribeean cruising. We sailed one time from San Deigo and I did not mind it. What helped is I ahve family in SD so they put us up and played taxi for us. I can't put my finger on why I'm nervous. Maybe its the older ships? Trying something new? LA does intimidate me some. So please share experiences good or bad with me.

Long beach is fine.

Thanks.. I like the reassuring posts. Nothing really appeals to me at all when I look at CCL ships. We have done the Imagination twice already. The Inspiration and Splendor we have not but spoiled with the newer ships we have sailed. The 4 day sailing does not appeal much either but does leave time to explore the LA area or go to SD to visit my uncle. While nothing appeals to me some places in the Caribbean feel boring too. We live in MN so we must travel no matter what. I have lots of research to do yet but enjoying these comments

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I have one horror story at San Pedro.... the customs took us something like 4 to 5 hours to get off the boat. They only had 5 officers to process debarkation for one ship. I saw one kid in great discomfort without a washroom. Mom had no choice but make a trucker bomb while standing in line. Horrible experience.

Of course, embarkation was delayed a few hours until people could debark the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048893&page=52 (post 1025)

I have one horror story at San Pedro.... the customs took us something like 4 to 5 hours to get off the boat. They only had 5 officers to process debarkation for one ship. I saw one kid in great discomfort without a washroom. Mom had no choice but make a trucker bomb while standing in line. Horrible experience.

Of course, embarkation was delayed a few hours until people could debark the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048893&page=52 (post 1025)

Last month they changed CBP. Now it's after picking up the luggage and bathrooms are available. YMMV

If you do choose to sail from here, definitely do a seven day Mexican Riviera cruise. I wouldn't do the 3 or 4 day cruise. Mexican Riviera has some beautiful ports, my favorite is Puerto Vallarta, but overall the itinerary is great! 3 ports days, and 3 sea days. I loved the Mexican Riviera so much that I'm cruising it again next month on the Miracle, and most likely next year again when Splendor comes back to Long Beach!

Don't be scared to try a cruise from LA, it'll be something new and new places to visit! I love sailing from here (maybe because I live only an hour away from the port Lol!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums