Can you wear casual clothes (jeans and t shirt/polo) on QM2?

BoiiMcFly

Sorry if this has been asked numerous times before, but how strict are they when it comes to dress code? My wife and I mostly wear casual clothes so we wanted to find out how the whole formal format works. Also, are only certain nights formal or every night? TIA.

You may dress very casual during the day. After 6PM you ARE expected to follow the evening's dress codes. Unlike on other lines, which sometimes rarely enforce the codes, Cunard is usually pretty strict. This is a MAIN reason we/many like this line. Each cruise line has it's shtick & for Cunard it's dressing properly for dinner & a show. If you wish to dress casual at night & I mean NOT in shorts, but in what is considered by other lines as "Smart Casual" you may then eat in the buffet area. The dress code is expected to be adhered to ship wide. If you are unwilling to follow the guidelines, I strongly suggest another more casual line for you.

I agree totally with what you just said. Have you never cruised before? Cunard does seem to have the strictest dress code but then that is one of the main things that attracts people to the ships. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get agreement on what you can wear after 6pm in the buffet. I am thinking jeans and polo are OK in the buffet and adjoining lounge. Informal on Cunard really means "less formal". You still need dress pants, shirt and jacket for a man and cocktail type clothing for the woman.

Basically, you can wear khakis/polo shirt(though collared would be better) in the buffet. This is pretty much what other lines refer to as "Smart Casual". Though a tux or dark suit is the norm for formal night, nice slacks with a sport coat will meet the minimum. A tie is still expected on formal/informal nights, for elegant casual nights you can avoid the tie, but still wear the sport coat.

And what is wrong with a 1950's boarding school. At least the Cunard ships have private baths in all of the cabins and hot water to boot.

Their are a few snobs, but luckily they are few and far between on the Cunard Ships, Just Ignore the one or two ! . All you need after 6pm, sometimes later, For the guys for informal are Long Trousers, Collared shirt and a jacket, Not always to be worn, Just have one ! For formal then yes you need a suit, DJ or Matching Trousers and Jacket (with a tie for formal) , Its not rocket science, Cunard Brand is a one off, once on board you will enjoy and wonder who the Dress Police are ! If you look at some of these posts you wonder whose these people are (Underneath their forum names) who brag about how much they have paid for their journey or that they are in the grills, Believe me most of those who are in the grills prefer at night to be in the General hustle and bustle of the ship. If it was not for the non grills people then I doubt the ship would survive due to costs. Once on board their is no snobbery, It is only on these forums this seems to exist. Very sad really. Enjoy travelling with Cunard. Tailored shorts and Blue Denim are happily accepted as dress code through out the ships until the evening.

Edited by Pennbank

A tie is still expected on formal/informal nights,...

This was NOT the published guidance for informal nights onboard the QM2 in December ( transAtlantic)

Informal nights only required a coat for gentlemen; no requirement got a tie.

I took two pair of causal slacks, two plus button down shirts pus one blazer for the informal nights; very comfortable and easy on/off.

Aloha,

John

Only 2 types of dress for MDR at night - Formal, we all know what this is, Tux/Dinner Suit/Dark Business suit and tie. Non Formal nights, Jacket is a must , but tie is OPTIONAL. (sorry for shouting.) I think some of these die hard Cunarders would wear a tie in bed, lol. Blazer and open neck shirt for me on non formal nights and dark business suit on formal nights. Meets with Cunard dress codes, so good enough for me on QM2 in a couple of weeks, I am no Colonial Show Pony !! PS We are in Steerage - Britannia.

Edited by NSWP

Only 2 types of dress for MDR at night - Formal, we all know what this is, Tux/Dinner Suit/Dark Business suit and tie. Non Formal nights, Jacket is a must , but tie is OPTIONAL. (sorry for shouting.) I think some of these die hard Cunarders would wear a tie in bed, lol. Blazer and open neck shirt for me on non formal nights and dark business suit on formal nights. Meets with Cunard dress codes, so good enough for me on QM2 in a couple of weeks, I am no Colonial Show Pony !! PS We are in Steerage - Britannia.

NSWP if you keep making comments about the dress code maybe Cunard is not the line for you. Making comments about those who like to stick up for the published dress code does not serve any useful purpose - neither does 'shouting' that the tie is optional. Everyone knows that and if someone has booked a Cunard cruise without due research that is their problem. I get mightily sick of people making disparaging comments about the dress code - it is what it is, like it or lump it. Yes, I know you will follow the code, but making comments about it is pointless and somewhat tiresome.

Similarly with the comments about being in steerage - meaning of course Britannia. Some people might think it amusing but I for one do not find it so.

I hope you really do enjoy your QM2 experience.

/ Rant over

You see, this confuses me. There are plenty of cruiselines that offer a similar itinerary to your sector. QM2 offers the itinerary plus their reputation for elegance and sophistication and this is mainly reflected in their adherence to their dress code. So why would you pick a Cunard ship when you seem to have a reluctance to follow through on their well known requirements?

I'd never take my partner on a Cunard ship as his work requires him to wear suit and tie so he doesn't want that for a holiday. Maybe when he's retired but he will stick to the requirements. I love the dress codes. Makes the nights really special and I embrace them. If I didn't I wouldn't book a Cunard cruise.

From another steerage passenger who loves Britannia. ;)

Their are a few snobs, but luckily they are few and far between on the Cunard Ships, Just Ignore the one or two ! . All you need after 6pm, sometimes later, For the guys for informal are Long Trousers, Collared shirt and a jacket, Not always to be worn, Just have one ! For formal then yes you need a suit, DJ or Matching Trousers and Jacket (with a tie for formal) , Its not rocket science, Cunard Brand is a one off, once on board you will enjoy and wonder who the Dress Police are ! If you look at some of these posts you wonder whose these people are (Underneath their forum names) who brag about how much they have paid for their journey or that they are in the grills, Believe me most of those who are in the grills prefer at night to be in the General hustle and bustle of the ship. If it was not for the non grills people then I doubt the ship would survive due to costs. Once on board their is no snobbery, It is only on these forums this seems to exist. Very sad really. Enjoy travelling with Cunard. Tailored shorts and Blue Denim are happily accepted as dress code through out the ships until the evening.

And I thought it was only me. Brilliant.

David

l ...There are plenty of cruiselines that offer a similar itinerary to your sector. QM2 offers the itinerary plus their reputation for elegance and sophistication and this is mainly reflected in their adherence to their dress code. ...

I was not the target of your comments in the quote above, but I keep seeing similar statements made by others. People seem to allude to or outright state that there are other cruise lines that offer a similar itinerary to the QM2 with a less stringent dress code. But this is simply not true.

I see no other transatlantic crossing from the UK to the US offered by any cruise line during the month of May, 2017 other than the QM2. So either the people saying this are referring to different times of the year when the QM2 sails elsewhere, or I am blind and missing some other cruise line offering a one-week transatlantic crossing.

But the poster Pushka was addressing hasn't booked a transatlantic crossing !

Cunard ships do a lot more than just crossings.

There is no choice for a one week crossing but plenty of choice in the Mediterranean or Australia.

Edited by Host Hattie

But the poster Pushka was addressing hasn't booked a transatlantic crossing !

Cunard ships do a lot more than just crossings.

There is no choice for a one week crossing but plenty of choice in the Mediterranean or Australia.

Indeed. It is part of a World sector and in which I am participating in Singapore to Dubai.

The TA - an interesting comment. My partner says he cannot understand why someone would spend six days doing what could be done in a plane in 5 or so hours. Obviously some don't want to fly for personal health reasons or are worried about flying but I'm not sure that 5 days in the middle of the ocean is any less risky. So then, why go on a ship? For the experience on Cunard. They are completely open about their requirements.

I do think women 'get away' with the wardrobe issue much easier than men.

I'm sure the OP will be fine with their attire - they've asked the question.

NSWP if you keep making comments about the dress code maybe Cunard is not the line for you. Making comments about those who like to stick up for the published dress code does not serve any useful purpose - neither does 'shouting' that the tie is optional. Everyone knows that and if someone has booked a Cunard cruise without due research that is their problem. I get mightily sick of people making disparaging comments about the dress code - it is what it is, like it or lump it. Yes, I know you will follow the code, but making comments about it is pointless and somewhat tiresome.

Similarly with the comments about being in steerage - meaning of course Britannia. Some people might think it amusing but I for one do not find it so.

I hope you really do enjoy your QM2 experience.

/ Rant over

A little harsh I think. What I was trying to say is that business suit on formal nights and jacket and no tie on non formal nights is quite acceptable and complies with Cunard dress codes. However, some on here think otherwise and want to stick to their tuxedos on formal nights and wear ties on non formal nights. Dress codes on Cunard have no doubt been relaxed to attract customers, as they have on other lines. It is unfortunate some of the Cunard traditionalists do not see it that way. End of story.

Edited by NSWP

You see, this confuses me. There are plenty of cruiselines that offer a similar itinerary to your sector. QM2 offers the itinerary plus their reputation for elegance and sophistication and this is mainly reflected in their adherence to their dress code. So why would you pick a Cunard ship when you seem to have a reluctance to follow through on their well known requirements?

I'd never take my partner on a Cunard ship as his work requires him to wear suit and tie so he doesn't want that for a holiday. Maybe when he's retired but he will stick to the requirements. I love the dress codes. Makes the nights really special and I embrace them. If I didn't I wouldn't book a Cunard cruise.

From another steerage passenger who loves Britannia. ;)

A little harsh, I have no reluctance not to follow through on 'their well known requirements.' I am just trying to emphasise that tuxedos/dinner suits are not mandatory on formal nights, business suit is fine and that ties are not required on non formal nights. I just think that some Cunarders won't accept the 'relaxed dress codes of 2017.' Ah, strong debate makes for a healthy Sunday. End of story.

A little harsh I think. What I was trying to say is that business suit on formal nights and jacket and no tie on non formal nights is quite acceptable and complies with Cunard dress codes. However, some on here think otherwise and want to stick to their tuxedos on formal nights and wear ties on non formal nights. Dress codes on Cunard have no doubt been relaxed to attract customers, as they have on other lines. It is unfortunate some of the Cunard traditionalists do not see it that way. End of story.

I am sorry you feel it harsh NSWP but I post as I see it. The dress code is well publicised. My reading of posts on the Cunard board is that people who cruise Cunard regularly know the published code and do not try to insist people wear tux on formal night or a tie on non-formal. They make their own choice about what to wear. It is nothing to do with being a Cunard traditionalist as you call them at all. End of my story.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise - tie or not.

And I am sure the OP has had their question well and truly answered.

I am sorry you feel it harsh NSWP but I post as I see it. The dress code is well publicised. My reading of posts on the Cunard board is that people who cruise Cunard regularly know the published code and do not try to insist people wear tux on formal night or a tie on non-formal. They make their own choice about what to wear. It is nothing to do with being a Cunard traditionalist as you call them at all. End of my story.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise - tie or not.

And I am sure the OP has had their question well and truly answered.

Peace reigneth, have a nice Sunday.

Thank you all for the answers. Some interesting debates as well. I believe the guidelines are clear now and we will have no problem with the dress code after 6pm. I also think people should never be judged on how they dress, that is a personal choice and does not make someone better/worse. Have a great weekend shipfam.

Thank you all for the answers. Some interesting debates as well. I believe the guidelines are clear now and we will have no problem with the dress code after 6pm. I also think people should never be judged on how they dress, that is a personal choice and does not make someone better/worse. Have a great weekend shipfam.

Enjoy your cruise, you deserve it after all that. Bravo' to the posters, I always enjoy reading really good debatable thread with most answers not being too glib. At one point I laughed so much that I spilt some of my latte on our new carpet Lol.

It just goes to show how different we all are. Have a great Sunday.

You make it sound like a 1950's boarding school, no wonder so many people are anxious about cruising with Cunard.

DAVID.

"Like" (from a Platinum Cunarder). The attitude exhibited above is so tiresome. Experience it for yourself. These folks don't own the ship. You will love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Like" (from a Platinum Cunarder). The attitude exhibited above is so tiresome. Experience it for yourself. These folks don't own the ship. You will love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you...that is what I want to hear, get on board, comply with Cunard's rules, take no notice of the 'uppity's'/ 'dress code vigilantes' who think they own the ship with their perceived interpretation of the 'rules' and enjoy one's self, as we will. With 500 Australians embarking in Sydney/Brisbane, ye olde QM2 will be rocking in more ways than one, lol.

Chillax, way to go on Cunard, especially in the tropics.

Thank you...that is what I want to hear, get on board, comply with Cunard's rules, take no notice of the 'uppity's'/ 'dress code vigilantes' who think they own the ship with their perceived interpretation of the 'rules' and enjoy one's self, as we will. With 500 Australians embarking in Sydney/Brisbane, ye olde QM2 will be rocking in more ways than one, lol.

Chillax, way to go on Cunard, especially in the tropics.

From my experience I have never met an uppity vigilante on Cunard. The code is straight forward and all passengers I have met have been happy to comply and certainly not try to push for anything more than the published code. Some people do dress to the nines but never try to enforce this on others. It is a myth that Cunard passengers are snooty Brits or wealthy US socialites who look down on others. I think some people like to peddle this view on CC but it is totally incorrect.

I am hoping that the 500 Australians do have an appropriately good time (and in the past I have always found this to be so on Cunard, remembering that the ships are most definitely not RCI or similar):)

From my experience I have never met an uppity vigilante on Cunard. The code is straight forward and all passengers I have met have been happy to comply and certainly not try to push for anything more than the published code. Some people do dress to the nines but never try to enforce this on others. It is a myth that Cunard passengers are snooty Brits or wealthy US socialites who look down on others. I think some people like to peddle this view on CC but it is totally incorrect.

I am hoping that the 500 Australians do have an appropriately good time (and in the past I have always found this to be so on Cunard, remembering that the ships are most definitely not RCI or similar):)

Well said. Looking forward to it all.