If you were on the Island Princess in the Panama Canal, Jan. 24, 2017 ...

Turtles06

My wife and I were on the NCL Jewel, following you through the Canal on Jan. 24, 2017. I thought you might enjoy having some photos of your ship during the transit. If anyone has any of the Jewel behind you, I'd love to see them. I hope you had as wonderful a cruise as we did.

Here you are in the Gatun Locks

Island%20Princess%20Gatun%201024x681_zpsnenehjwv.jpg

Gatun%20locks%201024x683_zpsekwewkzw.jpg

In Pedro Miguel

Island%20Princess%20Pedro%20Miguel%202%201024x683_zpsuerxdmmg.jpg

And, with the day starting to fade, in Miraflores

Island%20Princess%20Miraflores%202%201024x666_zpslhglo5qy.jpg

Island%20Princess%20leaving%20Miraflores%201024x795_zpshcuvxcz6.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

My wife and I were on the NCL Jewel, following you through the Canal on Jan. 24, 2017. I thought you might enjoy having some photos of your ship during the transit. If anyone has any of the Jewel behind you, I'd love to see them. I hope you had as wonderful a cruise as we did.

Gatun%20locks%201024x683_zpsekwewkzw.jpg

In Pedro Miguel

Island%20Princess%20Pedro%20Miguel%202%201024x683_zpsuerxdmmg.jpg

Island%20Princess%20leaving%20Miraflores%201024x795_zpshcuvxcz6.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Nice shots, thanks for posting! :)

(photos by turtles06)

Thank You for posting these pics.

I'm taking my first non-NCL cruise through the Canal on the Island in October.

I had worried about my cabin selection until now.

We booked the Port Side Aft Suite on Deck 12 . (The one even with the Lock Tower walkway in this picture)

I was worried that the balcony didn't wrap around the Aft. It does.

Thanks Again

Mark

I want to compliment the photographer and cruiser (OP) for being so generous and thoughtful. I was not on the Island. So good to see positive sharing instead of problem solving. Both have their place here. But rarely is something shared across the boards.

I want to compliment the photographer and cruiser (OP) for being so generous and thoughtful. I was not on the Island. So good to see positive sharing instead of problem solving. Both have their place here. But rarely is something shared across the boards.

YES!! Appreciate and agree with the above and other posters as to how nice it was to be seeing their pictures of the Island Princess going through the Panama Canal. Just a little over two weeks away from when we board this Princess ship in Ft. Lauderdale to do a "Sea-to-Sea" sailing on our way to Central America stops and San Francisco.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,644 views for these postings.

(photos by turtles06)

Thanks for the great photos.

Interesting to compare the number of people watching from the ship in the first locks with the number of people watching from the ship near the end of the transit.

Thanks for the great photos.

Interesting to compare the number of people watching from the ship in the first locks with the number of people watching from the ship near the end of the transit.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the kind words.

As to the difference in the crowds: there's a good eight hours between the two photos, and the first isn't even the start of the transit. It was a very sunny, very long, very HOT day. Did I say it was hot? :)

Thanks to you and everyone else for the kind words. As to the difference in the crowds: there's a good eight hours between the two photos, and the first isn't even the start of the transit. It was a very sunny, very long, very HOT day. Did I say it was hot? :)

Appreciate your follow-up. Any more pictures to share? Love "feeding" my curiosity as to soaking up any and all details, aspects for this canal journey, key insights and tips, etc., in advance of starting our Island Princess cruise on Feb. 28 from Ft. Lauderdale.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 221,107 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks so much for these web cam photos! Were these screen shots you grabbed that day, because I don't see an archive on their web site. (Would love to be wrong there!)

Thanks!

Don't think you are wrong, as far as I am aware of the Canal does archive any of their webcams. Take a look here... http://seacruisechat.com/forums/index.php?topic=5538.0 ... these folks do a pretty good job in catching the various cruise ship transits. Willing to bet that is where those pics came from.

Don't think you are wrong, as far as I am aware of the Canal does archive any of their webcams. Take a look here... http://seacruisechat.com/forums/index.php?topic=5538.0 ... these folks do a pretty good job in catching the various cruise ship transits. Willing to bet that is where those pics came from.

Thanks so much, Bill, I was not aware of that site. Found other screen grabs from our transit, including from the Jewel's own web cam, which was just to the starboard side of our amazing bow-facing balcony. (I thus have pretty much the same images. :) )

Yes, those are screen shots I captured from the webcams. I try to keep the date in the picture so you can see it really is your transit. EM

Thanks so much! One of my friends was checking the Canal's web cam periodically, but she messed up taking a screen shot. :p

The stern revisions done several years ago sure messed up her backside view!

I agree that the aft does look messed up now, but we did have one of the new aft cabins last year for the transit and it was a great way to see the canal. In the one picture our cabin was directly above the 'C' in Cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great photos! Thinking very seriously on booking a cruise that passes through the Canal next year. It is probably a silly question, How long does it usually take to pilot through the Canal?. Thanks.

Not a silly question at all. The transit takes an entire day. We were up before dawn so that we did not miss the approach to the Atlantic breakwater, and, in the very early morning, got to see the many commercial ships anchored and waiting their turns to transit the Canal. We were approaching the Gatun Locks around 8am, and did not pass under the Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side until after 7pm.

Thanks for the kind words re my photos.