where do the workers stay during dry dock?

S.S.Oceanlover

I always assumed that during dry dock the workers just stayed on the ship they were working on.

Reading another thread a poster said they stay on another cruise ship docked nearby.

Is this true? I asked these questions to the person who posted the information but got no response so I am asking here.

Where would they get another cruise ship to house these workers and why wouldn't they just stay on the ship they are working on?

I have never heard of this before and just assumed they stayed on the ship they were working. Now I am really wondering if I have been misinformed all these years.

TIA

Bill

I always assumed that during dry dock the workers just stayed on the ship they were working on.

Reading another thread a poster said they stay on another cruise ship docked nearby.

Is this true? I asked these questions to the person who posted the information but got no response so I am asking here.

Where would they get another cruise ship to house these workers and why wouldn't they just stay on the ship they are working on?

I have never heard of this before and just assumed they stayed on the ship they were working. Now I am really wondering if I have been misinformed all these years.

TIA

Bill

The other post is rubbish. The crew stay onboard. Cargo ships will sometimes move the crew to shore (you're only talking 20+ crew) in shipyard, if there is work to be done on the HVAC, plumbing, or septic systems. Unlike most ships, cruise ships do not shut down completely when in drydock. They are equipped with sea water supply connections, and hoses are attached to the sea water overboard openings, so that one diesel generator can be run and cooled with sea water like normal. This is because no shipyard has enough electrical capacity to feed the hotel load of a modern cruise ship. In addition to the crew, there will be several hundred to a couple thousand sub-contractors, who do the hotel renovations and are the tech reps for the engineering equipment, and all will live onboard the ship as well. The shipyard really only does the underwater maintenance, hull and topside repairs, and engine room machinery repairs.

The cruise director was lodged on the ship during dry dock. He talked about how they only have water a portion of the day on a schedule.

https://www.facebook.com/flyingscotsmancd/

That is not always the case, only when doing piping repairs around the ship. At times, they may have to shut down the AC for some hours to complete maintenance, but it doesn't last more than a day or two, again unless there is some major problem being fixed.

We cruise about a month before a dry dock and they said, except for entertainment staff, that the crew stays on board. Not sure what the housekeeping staff does but the kitchen staff continues to cook to feed the crew and construction workers. As others said, sure the maintenance staff has plenty of routine work that continues during drydock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The other post is rubbish. The crew stay onboard. Cargo ships will sometimes move the crew to shore (you're only talking 20+ crew) in shipyard, if there is work to be done on the HVAC, plumbing, or septic systems. Unlike most ships, cruise ships do not shut down completely when in drydock. They are equipped with sea water supply connections, and hoses are attached to the sea water overboard openings, so that one diesel generator can be run and cooled with sea water like normal. This is because no shipyard has enough electrical capacity to feed the hotel load of a modern cruise ship. In addition to the crew, there will be several hundred to a couple thousand sub-contractors, who do the hotel renovations and are the tech reps for the engineering equipment, and all will live onboard the ship as well. The shipyard really only does the underwater maintenance, hull and topside repairs, and engine room machinery repairs.

Thank you for your insight on this. If anybody knows this stuff it's you.

Thanks for all your contributions to these boards.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I would think that a lot of the crew would be moved to another ship to finish out there contract and those that are at the end of their contract go home on vacation. Those crew members, such as maintenance or engineering would stay on board to assist on the refit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I would think that a lot of the crew would be moved to another ship to finish out there contract and those that are at the end of their contract go home on vacation. Those crew members, such as maintenance or engineering would stay on board to assist on the refit.

See post #3 above - the crew does stay on the ship during maintenance periods. :)

Since the crew is being paid anyway, they are economical helpers for the sub-contractors, and do the furniture moving, carpet removal, daily clean up of work sites, and fire watch for the shipyard welders. Those whose contracts are short are given the option of going home, but 90% stay and work.