Luggage delivery home from cruise ship

sailorgirl

Specifically, we are arriving in Copenhagen on Zuiderdam and visiting a friend for the weekend before flying home. Would love to be able to ship our two big bags home and just take a couple of carry on bags with us on our visit and return flight. Anyone know of such a service with HAL or an independent company?

Here is a link to something HAL offers called BagsVIP - sounds like what you might looking for but might be limited to flying out the same day: https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland Others here have mentioned using other "Luggage Direct" door to door services so it will be interesting to see what others come up with.

Another option is baggage storage facility at the Copenhagen airport which is a an easy metro ride to directly inside airport - that way you could at least leave the extra ones in storage at the airport until you depart, assuming this remains your departure airport.

Here is a link to storage at the Copenhagen airport - limits it to 10 days but they have another link for longer storage - http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/luggage-storage

I used Luggage Forward to Canada to reduce the amount of luggage we were dragging on the train. And I've used Cunard's version of the service to England several times. It is expensive, but it's a convenience we're willing to pay for. You get a tracking number, so you can see that your bag is moving along properly.

OP, consider shipping just one bag. It will be less expensive than two and will ease your travels somewhat. If you can live out of your carryons over the weekend, you can probably find a corner to leave the big bag in.

I have found that shipping internationally is about $100 more per bag than domestic. That's because the company acts as your customs agent, filing the appropriate papers for you.

I have used Luggage Forward and it is pricey, but in my case it was well worth it. I was also able to schedule the shipping so that the luggage got home just after I did.

Susan

Agreed. I could not travel without it. A big plus: I don't know why, but my luggage arrives in much better condition than when it suffers through an airline baggage hold and carousel.

I've been known to discard some of my clothing as my trip goes on on ground travel. And we travel as absolutely light as possible--following Rick Steves' packing list with some minor modifications.

My family rules are that everyone carries their own luggage. Don't bring it if you cannot haul it for 2 miles. It keeps the hassle to a minimum.

It would make it easier to do that if we didn't have those pain-in-the-neck "Gala" nights to dress for.

Why is dressing for Gala nights a "pain in the neck"? Today's dressier fabrics are very light weight, comfortable and easily packable. Not sure why this would be a problem.

Why is dressing for Gala nights a "pain in the neck"? Today's dressier fabrics are very light weight, comfortable and easily packable. Not sure why this would be a problem.

Well, Gala is the replacement word for formal and - if you want to go by their rules - that at least means a suit and tie and dress shoes for men and a long or fancy dress for women which means special shoes and accessories. Suitcase space takers. Such a reason took us over to Oceania for their country club casual dress code and keeps us going back for their exceptional food. Still cruising HAL for the itinerary and wonderful Neptune Suite and lounge. And I do understand that some people love the opportunity to get all dressed up on a cruise. Wonderful for them, not us.

Well, Gala is the replacement word for formal and - if you want to go by their rules - that at least means a suit and tie and dress shoes for men and a long or fancy dress for women which means special shoes and accessories. Suitcase space takers. Such a reason took us over to Oceania for their country club casual dress code and keeps us going back for their exceptional food. Still cruising HAL for the itinerary and wonderful Neptune Suite and lounge. And I do understand that some people love the opportunity to get all dressed up on a cruise. Wonderful for them, not us.

Begging to disagree with perhaps the unnecessary burdens you just listed: At a minimum one can pack a lightweight white dinner jacket, easy wear shirt and dark pants for men. Lightweight top in special dressy fabric and dark pants/skirt for women. Dual purpose black "dress" shoes work for me. Minimal special accessories to dress it up too. LBD and sparkly shawl is often seen on the ships and looks very "gala" too.

I have no problem with people not wanting to dress up because this is their vacation, only assertions that packing for this gala option created undo packing burdens.

Just want this to be known by others who may feel "gala" is an overwhelming packing obligation - it is not intended to be and can be easily accommodated even in today's luggage limitations with a little more flexibility about what "gala" can look like.

I don't know if this helps or not, but just in case.

I am using Luggage Mule to ship from Portland to Paris and I know they ship to America.

they are about 1/2 the price as the others. They are associated with UPS but because of volume seem to have better prices.

I don't know if they ship from Copenhagen or not, but there may be a port in your cruise where they do ship from. They helped me find one of their depots in Portland (we get off in Rotterdam) so I am dropping off a piece of luggage there to make our train easier with less luggage ;)

It might be worth an email to them to see. Just hit the contact button. They were very helpful to me. (luggagemule.com)

Edited by kazu

How long has it been since you've sailed with HAL? They relaxed the dress code when they changed the name. If you want to do the suit and fancy dress, that's your choice. We do choose to dress up, and it means a garment bag instead of a second suitcase. But I've learned to get a lot of stuff into a garment bag, so it doesn't change our over all luggage load, just which pieces we take. (For Cunard, it does mean an extra bag because it's a suit or tux every night, and appropriate dresses/gowns for me. For those cruises or crossings, we ship the extra bag of "posh frocks" to Southampton)

However, if you don't want to take the suit and fancy dresses, you can get away with less. HAL's minimum for a man is trousers (not jeans) and a collared shirt.