Hotel in Miami for pre cruise stay for 30-40 people

waldemar

Hello,

I am in need of suggestions as I don't sell a lot of cruises but I have a group cruise departing from Miami in June. I have 30-40 ppl coming in the day before the cruise and am trying to find a hotel for them for the 1 night. My question is this...is it better to have them stay at a hotel such as a Holiday Inn Express or equivalent by the airport and take the complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel and the shuttle back to the airport the next morning to catch the Carnival Shuttle to the port (I know this cost money) OR is it better for them to take a taxi from the airport to a hotel near the port that will hopefully offer a complimentary shuttle to the port and that way my clients will only have to purchase a one way transfer from the port to the airport at the end of the cruise. I just am not sure what is the best, logistical and economical location of the hotel. Also, if anyone has suggestions as to what hotels I should look at I would very much appreciate any advice and thoughts and hotel names!

Michele

Why askus when you have 3-40 clients to ask ? If a TA ever b b ooked me in a HolidaY innewxpress without asking me, they wouuld neve r b ook me anywhere in the future. SPEAK with your clients and ask them what they prefer. Maybe they like staying in high end hotels / resorrts? Often, it costs less fof two people to take a taxi than to pay the cruis line for two transfers. Of course, hopefully . you realize you cannot gauge cost un ntil you know to which hotel they will be going fom t he airrport and from where to the ship on embarkkation day.

Thank you for your reply...they do not want to pay more than around $125-$150 per ROOM so yes...they are wanting to keep the hotel cost down. Would you put them at a hotel near the port? Do you have any recommendations of hotels near the port? I appreciate any advice!

Contact a few chain affiliated hotels( HI, Choice etc), negotiate the best group rate that will include free airport shuttle just for your large group. Hotel airport shuttle vans are usually 12-15 seaters, on a first come first serve basis and fill up pretty fast. Without pre arrangement, your large group will be waiting for a long time to get picked up. As a rule of thumb, airport hotels are cheaper than in town and include free breakfast. Hotel can also pre arrange with an outside shuttle company to take your group to port the next morning and back to the airport at end of cruise. Cost usually runs around $10 pp + tip per trip.

Edited by sfaaa

Why stiddck them out qt the iarporet when a litle re3wseardh on yourr paet should be able to find a dedentrt, reqwsonqably priddced hotel art a location that offers access to neareby resaurants, lounges, activits. Unless they reent cars or erride tasxis, they are stuck at an airport hotel when they could be ourrt havinf fuun. Work hard for this ggroup his time and hopefdully, there will be a nextt time. That is a laege grouup youu likely would bwe happy to please. they poabgly all have friends aqnd relatives ands the best redcomendation for mos workingff people is word of mouth. Please them and it is all good.

OP is only looking for a reasonably priced one nighter hotel pre cruise. He/she is not looking for anything extra or to sightsee Miami as an add-on.

IMO, where you stay (by the airport or beach) depends when your flight gets in! If it's late, there is no need to pay for a beach hotel....Miami is VERY expensive....but if you're arriving early in the day, it's worth it to be somewhere that's fun!

Of course, you are not gonna find a hotel near the beach or port for $150.......$300 is considered "cheap" in Miami!

I suggest you post your questions here in the Florida board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Personally, I'd try the Embassy Suites because you get a free happy hour, a nice area where everyone can sit together and a hot breakfast in the morning. Call the hotel directly (not the 800 number) and ask for the manager or group sales person. Find out what they will do for a group. I will say, when my son got married I tried to do a group booking but they wanted a guaranteed number and price. You also had to cancel 1 month in advance for that price. I looked on line and I was getting the same price as I could get on my own, the only difference was I could cancel 24 hours without a penalty.

They probably have a shuttle too.

Another option is to call the local visitors and Convention Bureau. They are funded by hotel taxes paid by tourists. They are always eager to help and can help connect you with the hotel you are looking for, often at good rates.

PortMiami is located in the downtown central business district. No hotels in the area provide shuttles, complimentary or otherwise, to the port or elsewhere. Though there are many cruise passengers staying in them on Friday and Saturday nights during the peak season, their main clientele consists of business travelers on expense accounts that either rent vehicles or take taxis.

And be aware that the hotels near MIA airport that do provide shuttles (whether between airport and hotel, or the few that do to the port) use mainly 12-15 passenger vans. Your group would have to travel to the port in several shifts, and possibly from the airport the night before as well depending on how many are arriving at the same time. If you want the whole group to travel to the port together in the morning you should compare the cost of returning them to the airport to catch the Carnival shuttle (priced per person) to chartering a bus for them.

ETA: since you appear to be trying to earn your commission with a minimum of research and effort, see if they will buy into your getting them a "really great group rate" at a downtown hotel near the port with the caveat that each person is responsible for their own transportation (and cost) from MIA to hotel and from hotel to port

Edited by fishywood

If your cruise is in June, your rate should get you an excellent hotel.

Don't stay out by the airport. Transportation to the port the next day without a 'free' shuttle will be expensive. The night before there will also be little to do, little to walk to, and in some hotel locations, dangerous to be out at night.

Look at the Hampton Inn Brickell and have your guests be responsible for the $12 cab ride to the port. They can walk to close by Publix and plenty of restaurants in safety the night before.

If I had a travel agent that had me take the hotel shuttle back to the airport to catch the carnival shuttle I would be furious. Too much moving around schlepping luggage. There are no hotels that are going to shuttle you everywhere for free. How about looking at somewhere like the Homewood suites blue lagoon Miami airport that has a complementary shuttle from the airport to the hotel and complementary breakfast. The next morning they can just take taxis to the ship perhaps 4-5 people per taxi and they can split the cost of the taxi. Shuttles charge per person which I believe will be more expensive for a big group.

If they have a lot of day and evening, I'd work out a group rate with the Hampton Inn Brickell. You might be able to negotiate that $150 rate or close to it. Stress a nice breakfast and safe neighborhood for exploring. Worth it for sure. As a traveler, I'd want to start my vacation in the center of activity. Not an airport chain.

Now if they are arriving late, the Blue Lagoon area has lots of chains.

Hello,

I am in need of suggestions as I don't sell a lot of cruises but I have a group cruise departing from Miami in June. I have 30-40 ppl coming in the day before the cruise and am trying to find a hotel for them for the 1 night. My question is this...is it better to have them stay at a hotel such as a Holiday Inn Express or equivalent by the airport and take the complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel and the shuttle back to the airport the next morning to catch the Carnival Shuttle to the port (I know this cost money) OR is it better for them to take a taxi from the airport to a hotel near the port that will hopefully offer a complimentary shuttle to the port and that way my clients will only have to purchase a one way transfer from the port to the airport at the end of the cruise. I just am not sure what is the best, logistical and economical location of the hotel. Also, if anyone has suggestions as to what hotels I should look at I would very much appreciate any advice and thoughts and hotel names!

Michele

Are you a travel agent or part of the group?

You need to start calling hotels and ask for the Sales Department. Tell them what you've got and what you need and let them make you offers on room rates, with or without comp rooms. With a group like that you could ask for one comp room for every 10-20 rooms paid or a lower room rate with no comps at all.

Most likely, you're going to have people coming into MIA at different times, so an airport shuttle is pretty important in making it easier for everyone. Getting everyone to PortMiami the next day is the easy part. You can contract that with one of several livery companies in South Florida. Anyone flying into FLL is a different situation and you can deal with them separately or let them figure out on their own how to get to the hotel.

I would start with the La Quinta - Miami Airport East because they have both an airport shuttle and a PortMiami shuttle. Call them and ask for their Sales Department (which will probably be their general manager) and make a deal.

What do your clients want? Do they just want a place to sleep and that is it? Are they coming in later at night or in the day?

There are a few hotels in the downtown Miami area (extremely close to the port) that are more budget hotels, Holiday Inn Port Miami, YVE Hotel. contact hotels and see the rates you can get.

I suggest you post your questions here in the Florida board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Personally, I'd try the Embassy Suites because you get a free happy hour, a nice area where everyone can sit together and a hot breakfast in the morning. Call the hotel directly (not the 800 number) and ask for the manager or group sales person. Find out what they will do for a group. I will say, when my son got married I tried to do a group booking but they wanted a guaranteed number and price. You also had to cancel 1 month in advance for that price. I looked on line and I was getting the same price as I could get on my own, the only difference was I could cancel 24 hours without a penalty.

They probably have a shuttle too.

I agree with you.We are staying at the Embassy Suites in May for our cruise on the Celebrity Equinox.We got it for 119.00 plus taxes and fees,total 134.00.Free shuttle from the airport, free evening cocktails.free breakfast in the morning.We have stayed at Embassy Suites several times.We were happy each time.There is also a shuttle to the POM for a small fee. I think they will be happy there.