Soda in luggage rather than carryon

lorri111

We want to take a couple of plastic bottles on board with us and would usually take it as carry on, but with delayed boarding don't want to be laden down unnecessarily .can we put it in our suitcases or will the scan make it look like we are trying to smuggle in booze?

We want to take a couple of plastic bottles on board with us and would usually take it as carry on, but with delayed boarding don't want to be laden down unnecessarily .can we put it in our suitcases or will the scan make it look like we are trying to smuggle in booze?

Best to carry on as they may hold your luggage onboard to find out what it is.

It is not prohibited but still recommended to be brought as carry-on. Checked luggage are scanned and may be opened for inspection

I carry an empty tote bag that zips on the plane, buy the soda we want somewhere between the airport and boarding the ship. Put the soda in the tote, tag it with a luggage tag, and drop it at the curb with the rest of our luggage. We have never had a problem. This also gives us an extra bag for the trip home, if needed.

I've put 12packs of soda in a carry on and sent it through with our other luggage.

Several times a few of the cans we're damaged and leaked. (All over another of my suitcases).

After the first time I put them in a heavy duty garbage bag and tied it before I put them in the suitcase.

It's easiest just to put luggage tags on a 12-pack of soda and hand it over with your luggage. I always re-tape the box up because they can be a little flimsy.

I've brought a few cans of Diet Dr. Pepper onboard in my checked luggage before. Had no problem at all with doing it that way but I made extra sure they were cushioned well inside the luggage.

Last week I was on Carnival and they took away my Coke in bottles because they only allow cans.

Even if you take it on with you in your carry-on.

Princess may have the same restriction.

Nope. The only restriction Princess has is carry it on or check with your luggage by attaching a luggage tag.

BTW: not so much a restriction about putting it in your luggage, but if the x-ray doesn't show what it is, they may want to search the suitcase to make sure it isn't booze.

Last week I was on Carnival and they took away my Coke in bottles because they only allow cans.

Even if you take it on with you in your carry-on.

Princess may have the same restriction.

That's strictly a Carnival restriction.

Princess does not restrict what type of container you use.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from cruise. we took a few plastic bottles bundled up carefully and with a luggage tag to go in our checked luggage. The staff at baggage check in were initially very dubious about accepting it but I pushed the point and they got to our cabin ok.

Just back from cruise. we took a few plastic bottles bundled up carefully and with a luggage tag to go in our checked luggage. The staff at baggage check in were initially very dubious about accepting it but I pushed the point and they got to our cabin ok.

Where from?

Never mind, I saw your other post (Sun).

That's surprising! Glad you were able to convince the staff.

I carry an empty tote bag that zips on the plane, buy the soda we want somewhere between the airport and boarding the ship. Put the soda in the tote, tag it with a luggage tag, and drop it at the curb with the rest of our luggage. We have never had a problem. This also gives us an extra bag for the trip home, if needed.

I recently did this with 7 bottles of wine. 6 bottles were in a cardboard box and one loose in the bag. The bag was padlocked.

Had no problems. Bag delivered with other luggage, bottles unbroken. No evidence of inspection.

Coming home, I used the bag and box for our duty free bottles of gin (6) and 1 liqueur. Padlocked again and no breakages.

Would not bother with bringing drinks if only a week but usually do so on a longer trip. For a transatlantic last Spring brought both water & soda & checked it through. Found a duffle bag at Goodwill that was sturdy & reinforced for $5. We were spending time in Rome post cruise & did not want to bring the bag due to luggage restrictions on flight home so left it in the cabin when we disembarked. We got all plastic bottles but stuck to the smallest size bottles that were fairly thick. Had no problems even though we took a chance & brought coke which is a "no-no."

We're Pepsiholics and the ship serves only Coke products. We usually take 2 bricks of Pepsi Zero (used to be Max), taped together with a luggage tag attached. I add a strap from old luggage to make it easier for the handlers. Never had a problem and it arrives in our stateroom along with the rest of the luggage.:cool: