HAL beverage prices

Baddabing

We have never had a a problem using the card during Happy Hour. We just don't want to use it if we are going to have more than one drink. If the package is not available at Happy Hour, this is the first time that I have heard of it. Is this something new?

Water:

Large evian for dinner $6.50

Small perrier $3

Large pellegrino for excursion $7

Plain spring water 2.25 they gave me six at a time

Mocktails $5 including bloody mary virgins

Juices during day $3

Large iced coffee extra shot $3.50

Large cappucino $4

Soda can $2,25

Much more

Last week on first day i would have spent $70

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

One comment - When you receive (as a cruise booking bonus) or purchase - it relieves all the concern about "what am I spending and what will I owe at the end of the cruise?". If your cruise doesn't include a SBC, you can purchase one prior to departure. Up front, you have already prepaid for your beverages so no huge credit card bill at the end of the cruise! Yes, we almost alway have 6+ beverages (designer coffee, water, cocktails) every day and we love having SBC to eliminate the daily or end of cruise stress! (and if we have less than 6 - we still feel good because we already paid for everything before we boarded!) #NoStressWhileCruising

Sodas come to about $2.30 inclusive of the tip (it may depend on the ship, but even though it says fountain drinks we continually got cans). We bought a couple of $50 beverage cards (for a discounted $25 each), which kept my daughter in soda for 15 days -- at the end of the cruise we had to help her finish the last card.

My espressos were $2.01 and cappuccinos weren't too much more. I found all drinks very reasonably priced. We also are wine-drinkers, and the by the glass options wouldn't have sufficed day after day, so I would still be buying bottles or paying corkage to bring my own (which the package would not help me with).

Once you factor in your time in port, it may actually be hard to drink enough over the week without having to consciously overcompensate on your sea days.

I would find buying a drink package more stressful, because I would be trying hard to make the numbers work. Then again, if I made the numbers work, I wouldn't be stressed at all... but definitely drunk most of the time. :')

I took the non alcohol package in December. Totalled up separate charges afterwards, would of cost over $1000 if i paid as i sailed. Cost of an 11 day package with grats was $220. mocktails water galore (evian) and specialty coffees are my fav. In the MDR the beverage person gave me 6 bottles of water for my fridge and always thru in a can of coke for my son.

I took the non alcohol package in December. Totalled up separate charges afterwards, would of cost over $1000 if i paid as i sailed. Cost of an 11 day package with grats was $220. mocktails water galore (evian) and specialty coffees are my fav. In the MDR the beverage person gave me 6 bottles of water for my fridge and always thru in a can of coke for my son.

The fine print on those packages always say that everyone in the stateroom must take it -- is that not the case?

The fine print on those packages always say that everyone in the stateroom must take it -- is that not the case?

Any beverage package, alcohol or soda, unfortunately must be purchased by everyone in the cabin on HAL ships. Obviously the age rules apply for those passengers under 21 and the 2 packages that include alcohol. This was caused by greedy people who constantly try to cheat the system by sharing drinks. Drink sharing was rampant years ago, and different lines chose different ways to combat it. Some just jacked up the prices of the packages to the point that if drinks were shared, the cruise line didn't lose much. HAL chose the "both (all) must buy" plan, and that has allowed their signature beverage package to remain at a very low price of $44.95 per day (plus 15% service charge). The bartenders and waiters are trained to detect drink sharing, and if they catch someone, the drink package is cancelled and you get nothing back from what you paid for the package.

Any beverage package, alcohol or soda, unfortunately must be purchased by everyone in the cabin on HAL ships. Obviously the age rules apply for those passengers under 21 and the 2 packages that include alcohol. This was caused by greedy people who constantly try to cheat the system by sharing drinks. Drink sharing was rampant years ago, and different lines chose different ways to combat it. Some just jacked up the prices of the packages to the point that if drinks were shared, the cruise line didn't lose much. HAL chose the "both (all) must buy" plan, and that has allowed their signature beverage package to remain at a very low price of $44.95 per day (plus 15% service charge). The bartenders and waiters are trained to detect drink sharing, and if they catch someone, the drink package is cancelled and you get nothing back from what you paid for the package.

It was because pamrose228 said that the bartender threw in a can of Coke for her son, that I assumed she hadn't purchased the beverage package for her son (even though it was a non-alcoholic drink package). My assumption was they were in the same stateroom (but I could be wrong).

It was because pamrose228 said that the bartender threw in a can of Coke for her son, that I assumed she hadn't purchased the beverage package for her son (even though it was a non-alcoholic drink package). My assumption was they were in the same stateroom (but I could be wrong).

youre correct. We didnt pay for a package for everyone in the room. I believe the non alcohol package is excluded from this rule. BTW my son had a soda card so the mdr bartender was just nice.

On RCI also not all in the stateroom have to buy the non alcohol package.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
I would think that, like most lines, non-alcoholic beverages (i.e. specialty coffees, sodas, bottled water) do not count toward the 15 drinks per day limit with the drink packages. Is that correct?

In the past all beverages were included in the 15 count, however, lately there have been some posts that seem to indicate that they only count alcoholic beverages. Hoping that this is the case for our next cruise.

I would think that, like most lines, non-alcoholic beverages (i.e. specialty coffees, sodas, bottled water) do not count toward the 15 drinks per day limit with the drink packages. Is that correct?

Here is the HAL brochure that answers lots of Beverage Package questions as well as what drinks are included in each package. All items on the Quench Beverage Package (non-alcoholic beverages) are included in the Specialty Beverage:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Beverage-Packages.pdf

Here is the HAL brochure that answers lots of Beverage Package questions as well as what drinks are included in each package. All items on the Quench Beverage Package (non-alcoholic beverages) are included in the Specialty Beverage:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Beverage-Packages.pdf

Thank you SO much! I haven't seen this and will be sailing in January. Wasn't going to get the Quench Pkg, but there's so many tempting things on it.

Thanks for that very clear description of the SBP and EBP. One minor point is the price shown for the SBP. This must be a handout that is given onboard, because they quote the SBP price as $49.95 per day. That is true if you wait to purchase it onboard. If you buy it online, at least 4 days prior to your cruise, or call Ship's Services and purchase it before departure, the price is $44.95 per day, both prices are plus 15% service charge.

Thanks for that very clear description of the SBP and EBP. One minor point is the price shown for the SBP. This must be a handout that is given onboard, because they quote the SBP price as $49.95 per day. That is true if you wait to purchase it onboard. If you buy it online, at least 4 days prior to your cruise, or call Ship's Services and purchase it before departure, the price is $44.95 per day, both prices are plus 15% service charge.

Yes, distributed on board at all bars.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to every-one on here for the drinks information. I am still unsure though about taking bottled water and soft drinks on board. I note that some-one said you can but is there a restriction on how many bottles? I just want to be able to bring a couple of bottles of water and the same with soda water or tonic.

We are Aussies sailing on the Noordam from Sydney December 22. With the AUD so low against the USD at present it means we have to add on at least 1/3 of the price and then gratuities which we find really confusing as it is not an Aussie custom. Posting the link to the drinks prices on here is a huge help so thank you to those fellow cruisers.

Regards from Brisbane, Australia

I am still unsure though about taking bottled water and soft drinks on board. I note that some-one said you can but is there a restriction on how many bottles?

You can bring aboard as many bottles of water and soda as you can carry. That is true for both initial embarkation, and at any and all ports, so you don't have to bring it aboard all at once.

Thank you to every-one on here for the drinks information. I am still unsure though about taking bottled water and soft drinks on board. I note that some-one said you can but is there a restriction on how many bottles? I just want to be able to bring a couple of bottles of water and the same with soda water or tonic.

We are Aussies sailing on the Noordam from Sydney December 22. With the AUD so low against the USD at present it means we have to add on at least 1/3 of the price and then gratuities which we find really confusing as it is not an Aussie custom. Posting the link to the drinks prices on here is a huge help so thank you to those fellow cruisers.

Regards from Brisbane, Australia

There is no restriction on how many pieces of carry-on luggage that you can bring so I have a collapsible duffel bag with my sodas riding on my roller bag through the check-in process.

The tap water on board is fine and is the same water from which the ice is made so just bring refillable bottles for your water.

Thank you so much Crew News and RuthC. I appreciate your replies. Sorry to barge in on your posts every-one but I couldn't find an answer elsewhere.

Happy cruising to all.

Questions are always welcome. There are lots of CC members poised at their keyboards to give answers/opinions to those wanting to have a more informed cruise.